Facebook | News | Portland | Sam Adams

BigGayDeal.com

Portland Group to Rally in Support of Mayor Sam Adams

A Facebook Group with nearly 2,000 members has sprung up in support of Portland Mayor Sam Adams, whose recent confession that he had a consensual sexual relationship with another adult male but lied about it during his campaign appears to have divided the city and has prompted calls for his resignation and a criminal investigation.

Adams_breedloveThere is a rally in support of Adams tonight at Portland City Hall at 5:30, organized by "Sam Adams supporters who feel that his two decades of committed service to the city of Portland by far outweigh his honesty about the details of his (legal and consensual) sex life. Our trust is not broken because he made a mistake when cornered with an inappropriate question."

Adams said yesterday that the public will know 'within days' if he will resign:

"Adams did not appear in public Thursday but told The Oregonian he spent much of the day with his pastor and with his mentor, former Portland Mayor Vera Katz. 'It's important that I learn the lessons that need to be learned regardless of what I decide,' said Adams, who apologized at length to Portlanders Tuesday."

Byron Beck, who has written for Portland's alternative weekly Williamette Week and considers Adams a friend, said on his blog, "It’s unfortunate that gays, women and African Americans have to be held to a different standard than straight, white middle class males." Beck snapped the photo of Adams with Beau Breedlove in 2008.

Breedlove_2Breedlove, the former legislative intern who had the relationship with Adams, released a statement earlier this week (as his MySpace page was being mined for photos like the one at left):

"The past day of news coverage regarding my brief 2005 relationship with Mayor Sam Adams has been stressful, to say the least. I would like to publicly apologize to those who were negatively affected by my mishandling of the situation during the 2007 mayoral campaign. Reflecting back, I regret misleading anyone about the nature of the relationship. When the subject first surfaced during the campaign, I was living out-of-state and I did not anticipate the impact it might have on Portland's mayoral campaign. While my first instinct was to tell the truth, I also wanted to protect Sam Adams' reputation, considering our valuable friendship. Sam Adams has always been a positive influence and friend to me. He has many outstanding qualities to bring to his position as Mayor of the City of Portland and I wish nothing but the best for him. I hope this subject can ultimately be put to rest and I sincerely believe in Sam Adams and what he can do for the city of Portland as Mayor. Again, I truly apologize to those were affected by my mishandling of the situation in 2007. Sincerely, Beau Breedlove."

Background
Portland Police Ask Oregon AG to Investigate Mayor Sam Adams [tr]
Portland Oregon's Gay Mayor Sam Adams Admits Sexual Relationship With Teenage Former Staffer In 2005 [tr]
Portland TV On Adams Controversy [tr]
Portland Swears in Gay Mayor Sam Adams [tr]
Portland Elects Openly Gay Mayor Sam Adams [tr]
Gay Man Accused of Smearing Another in Portland Mayoral Race [tr]

Comments

1. BTW, did any of you think that it is because this country is soooo homophobic and puritanical that he felt he had to lie??

What also drives me batshit crazy is this constant projection that if a gay person does something bad, it reflects badly on all gays. And, boy, are some of you projecting when it comes to being afraid to be in any way associated with someone who had sex with a legal 18 year old. Judge, judge, judge. That is the one thing this country does better than killing people.

Posted by: Will | Jan 23, 2009 6:08:56 PM

2. I am seriously on the fence with this one. I think what I am going to have to say is to let Adams keep his job. I don't like the fact that this is a stereotypical incident, but I would also not want him to go out on this lingering in everyone's minds either. Give him a chance to do a good job and be remembered for that.

It may be naive to assume that he didn't have sex with the 17 year old but there isn't any facts backing this up so that is not a crime that should be brought up. I hope he stays in office I think.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Jan 23, 2009 9:46:07 PM

3. Honestly, I love your comment, and I quote "It will make you look more smarter." More smarter... Um, ok. Wasn't that a quote in "Drop Dead Gorgeous"?

Moving on. I'm glad at least some people have seen my point. As I was attempting to state, it's not about Adams having sex with a 17/18/19 year old, but about his deception, and attempts at hiding it then screaming homophobia to those questioning his actions. Adams lied about a legitimate issue during his campaign, then hid behind a real issue that many gay men and women face every day. Adams should be ashamed... and so should those who have defended his actions.

Posted by: CJ | Jan 23, 2009 10:39:18 PM

4. Sam Adams did nothing wrong. He should not cave to anti-gay bigotry. Stay in office Sam.

SUPPORT SAM ADAMS

Posted by: Bill | Jan 24, 2009 3:56:05 AM

5. @CJ

Oh, it's NOT about Adams having sex with someone 17/18/19? Then what the HELL was all that ranting about being sexually attracted to a 17 yearold (who looked legal) and NAMBLA? I love revisionist history!

He lied, yeah. And that's not to be defended. No one's claimed otherwise. YOU, however, jumped down his (and OUR) throat for a lot of stuff besides lying.

Your comments haven't magically disappeared.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Jan 24, 2009 5:41:21 AM

6. Philip, reread my comments. I never retracted my statement regarding his predatory relationship with a minor, I simply reiterated my other point that so many glossed over. I suppose it's easier to focus on what aligns with your own beliefs and to disregard the rest, I never claimed to disregard anything I stated since, as you so calmly pointed out, my comments would prove otherwise. I simply reiterated my other points that others reiterated with their commentary... Why are people attacking others over this ridiculous issue? Does the anonymity of the internet make it easier to lash out?

There's a lot of anger going on, a lot of people seem to be taking this personally. Breath, relax, less caffeine might help...

Posted by: Cj | Jan 24, 2009 11:55:58 AM

7. Philip, I see my mistake. My comment should has read "it's not JUST about", typo on my part...

Posted by: CJ | Jan 24, 2009 12:04:31 PM

8. CJ, if the age of consent was 17, would that make a difference? The age of consent is a fairly arbitrary number. No one claims to have been exploited or abused here, and in point of fact, there doesn't seem to be any actual crime committed based on the arbitrary age of consent of 18 in this particular location. Bad judgement, for sure, but you're essentially accusing him of a thought crime. There are 25 year olds who look 16, and 15 year olds who look 21. The facts matter, not mere thoughts of attraction.

Posted by: So Left I'm Right | Jan 24, 2009 1:28:51 PM

9. "Ok "curious", you have your opinions and I'll respect the law. This is about the law,"

OK, CJ -- before 2003 does that mean you didn't have sex in states where sodomy was against the law? Because it was still against the law in many states.

When people say "it's not about the sex, it's about lying" (Clinton, anyone?) it's ALWAYS about the sex. It's as clear a sign to me as beginning a sentence with "I'm not homophobic, but..." which is always homophobic.

Get over sex phobia, guys, and your lives will be happier.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Jan 24, 2009 2:03:05 PM

10. Endorsing "arbitrary" age of consent laws does not equate to sexphobia. This and the multicult arguments are the same offered by the NAMBLA people, and doing it is deeply misguided for many reasons...not the least of which is confirmation of the gay man=pederast stereotype.

Of course ages of consent varies from state to state and country to country, but study after study after study indicates lasting psychological trauma for minors who have sex with sig older people (penetrative sex, esp.). And notice that there aren't any--or many--age of consent laws that surpass twenty...they all seem to be pretty close in proximity to each other, which, when averaged, indicates anything but an arbitrary number. This traverses the cultural "divide"--mere irrelevant exotica played up by certain cultural anthrops to shock people. Exceptions? Yeah.

But there is no evidence--NONE--to suggest that adams broke the law here. Until you can provide any evidence that would be admissable in court, shut the hell up about it, and concern yourselves with the facts, not the speculation.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 24, 2009 2:28:33 PM

11. Let's stay on topic here, this is not about me, this is about Adams. If everyone wishes to play the numbers game, great, go at it. Comparing this to Clinton is different as I do not care what two CONSENTING ADULTS do in their own homes. I would not want my teenager (yes, 17-18 is still a teenager) to be chased by a 40-something year old man. There is a reason why laws exist to PROTECT minors from adults, emotional maturity and authoritative abuse. I'm disgusted that people claim I am being puritanical because I would not want my teenager to be preyed upon by someone not only more than twice their age, but as a public servant holds other people to laws they themselves should abide. This is not about "thought police" (how trite), Adams did not simply THINK about having sex with Breedlove, he met him at 17 and acted by keeping in touch with a minor with the intent on having sex at 18 (and to actually believe they waited is ludicrous). Adams THOUGHTS did not force him to prey upon a minor, Adams' actions did, and as such he should have stayed away from Breedlove from the beginning. There are laws protecting minors for a reason, and comparing this to sodomy laws is comparing apples to oranges. There is no comparison.

Further, the guy not only lied during his campaign, he cried wolf by claiming homophobia as the reason when quite frankly that's an insult to actual acts of homophobia. The guy got caught with his hands in the proverbial cookie jar, I don't give a sh*t what he "claims". First he lied to everyone, not just in public but in a written, published letter and made it record. Now we're supposed to believe he waited before sleeping with a kid (and please, enough with the bull#s*&t arguments about age and law, whether you agree with it or not, it's the law, if you take issue with it file suit)??? It's public record that Adam's has been unfaithful to his boyfriends, he lied numerous times regarding this relationship and now we're supposed to believe him???

Yeah, I'm pissed that a public figure, the first openly gay mayor of a large city has been caught in a lie. This paints a bad picture for our community if we don't hold him to the same standards and laws that we seem all to eager to apply to others such as Sen. Craig, Foley, etc. I'm more pissed that people seem to be giving him a pass because he's gay. There are more important issues and battles out there guys, holding a freakin' rally in support of a guy who lied about a sexual relationship just because he's gay doesn't make much sense. How about getting on the bandwagon for the numerous appeals on Prop 8, or what about the numerous victims of hate that are unreported each day?

I'm sorry I finally voiced my opinion on this matter, it seems a lot of people feel very passionately about a mayor who lied about sleeping with a 17 or 18 or whatever year old kid. Kudos, we should be so proud we have come this far.

Posted by: CJ | Jan 24, 2009 4:07:31 PM

12. Again CJ, still agreeing with you here. Points very well made. People are being so quick to make it a homophobic issue. Of course for some nutcases it is about the gay aspect of it. But for me, its about a political figure having sex with a teenager then covering it up. Regardless of sex or orientation. People here do seem to be giving him a pass because he is gay and/or because he is a deomocrat. If we want full acceptance, we need to hold our community members to the same standards as anyone else.

Posted by: BC | Jan 24, 2009 5:26:50 PM

13. Sam Adams should resign.

Posted by: Laurence Ballard | Jan 25, 2009 11:52:49 AM

14. Hmmm seems consentual, nothing to see here MOVE ALONG!!

Posted by: ty | Jan 25, 2009 1:30:51 PM

15. So, CJ, why are all legal relationships sexaul between an 18 year old and a 42 year old are wrong? Are they all (LEGAL relationships) exploitative and harmful to the younger party? No. Personally, they're pretty disgusting, but ethically, what's the problem? Also, no to wanting my fictional kids to do that (I'd break the old's legs), but nonetheless, no ethical problem originates solely from my "distaste," however extreme.

Once again, lying about who you sleep with is permissable if no laws were broken and no one was harmed based on the fact that strangers do not have any claim in knowing. "It's none of your business," is to scream yes.

We both agree that the way he lied--playing the queer card and branding his detractors with the big H, is inexcusable. Enough to resign? I don't think so.

Posted by: TANK | Jan 25, 2009 2:57:58 PM

16. CJ, SHUT UP!

Beau was of LEGAL age when Sam "preyed" upon him! LEGAL age. Now who CARES what YOU want and don't want for your (future?) kids?

Sam did NOTHING illegal here. So unless you have some magical proof that he pursued Beau sexually when he was still 17, SHUT UP about it.

So what if he's a public official? He didn't actually break any laws! He just broke an arbitrary taboo where people think 18 yearolds shouldn't be pursued by 40 yearolds.

Some people just fall in love. If I fall in love with someone twice my age, I won't CARE they're twice my age, especially not if they love me back.

Sam did nothing illegal, he wasn't attracted to Beau because Beau looks 13 or something and STOP bringing NAMBLA up.

NAMBLA wants to have sex with little children, not teenagers close to or actually ABOVE the age of consent, both in actual age and appearance.

Pedophilia is about degree of development, they want kids who LOOK like kids. Beau was neither an actual kid when he had sex with Sam and he certainly didn't LOOK like a kid.

CJ, stop... talking... now. Unless all you're going to complain about is Adams lying. Because that's all you have, a tiny lie about something not at all illegal.

Posted by: Philip Wester | Jan 26, 2009 4:09:11 AM

17. Philip, you're showing your ignorance. I'm happy you found the caps lock key, although resorting to anger and online ranting on the same talking points simply demonstrates your lack of knowledge on this subject.

Adams is a public servant, who should abide by the same laws he upholds. No 40+ year old public servant should ever be interested in/pursuing a 17 year old, I do not give a crap what you think about the law. It's the law, if you have a problem with it, then take it to the courts. Adams lied numerous times, and used homophobia as a claim to hide behind his deceit, which is an insult to all of those who have been victims of hate.

Off the record, I am just one of many who have posted comments disagreeing with your attempt to defend Adams. Why have you personally targeted me? Why do you seem to take this so personally?

Either way, I'm done here, now shoo.

Posted by: CJ | Jan 26, 2009 10:30:20 PM