Evangelical Christians | Mike Jones | News | Ted Haggard

BigGayDeal.com

Ted Haggard: 'I am the Chiefest of Sinners'

Haggardcbs

Tired of Ted Haggard yet? I pray we get some rest from this PR blitz soon but somehow I've got a feeling his mouth's not shutting anytime soon.

Unfortunately I'm without HBO so I haven't yet seen The Trials of Ted Haggard which aired last night, though no doubt many of you did. Please tell us your thoughts in the comments section. Haggard and his wife were interviewed about his time "in the wilderness" on CBS' Early Show.

Watch that interview, and a new clip with Grant Haas, the church volunteer who recently came forward, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He's also the world's biggest twat.

Posted by: FASTLAD | Jan 30, 2009 11:34:11 AM

2. YES, I'm very tired of seeing Ted Haggard every time I look at the gay blogs! I'm sure he has a book coming out or something, but I don't care. I don't know why you and others continue to give him free publicity!

Posted by: Tom A. | Jan 30, 2009 11:37:04 AM

3. as shameless as haggard's appearances may be, i think he has some constructive things to say. i approve of how he's breaking down binaries and refusing to categorize himself in strictly defined sexual types. sure there's his lame and easily consumed "heterosexual with complications" soundbyte, but some of what he's saying may be constructive.

unlike that glib alan cumming post earlier. what hogwash! surely, we have better things to discuss than the presidential package.

Posted by: ben | Jan 30, 2009 11:49:41 AM

4. this was kind of amusing:

Posted by: scooterzz | Jan 30, 2009 11:56:18 AM

5. Oh, puh-leeze, Ben! Ted Haggard is as gay as an Easter bonnet.

End of discussion. There are no binaries being broken down.

Posted by: crispy | Jan 30, 2009 11:56:31 AM

6. Did he say chiefest, or chieftess?

Posted by: Michael W. | Jan 30, 2009 12:02:42 PM

7. Unlike many of my fellow homos, I actually feel bad for this guy. Not because he isn't arrogant or power-hungry, he most certainly is. But despite all of that, I actually think he believes that he's just a straight guy with issues. He really has convinced himself that he isn't gay. That part of it is incredibly sad.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 30, 2009 12:08:26 PM

8. I saw the Alexandra Pelosi documentary on Ted Haggard. It was a very sympathetic piece on a man who clearly cannot reconcile his belief in The Bible with his sexual orientation, whatever that may be. You come away with the impression that the man simply does not know who he is, or, at the very least, is completely terrified of letting others know. That fear was validated when his peers and his congregation at New Life Church ostracized him for his behavior. I might point out the church seemed far more disturbed that Haggard had engaged in 'sexual immorality' than the fact that he may have been using drugs.

In exchange for a payoff from the church, Haggard agreed to leave his post and move out of the state of Colorado. It was sad to see his family, two sons and a wife who seems very sweet, endure the upheaval in their lives as a result of the intolerance of so called Christians. For months they moved from one 'safe house' (their word) to another, literally depending upon the kindness of strangers. Throughout it all, Ted grins and grins with a sunny optimism that simply does not fit the reality of what is happening in his, and his family's, life. His perpetually grinning mug is so obviously a false self--a facade for an empty building. You get the impression that if he stopped grinning for one second he would simply crumble.

Don't get me wrong--Ted Haggard buddied up to Bush, endorsed bans on marriage equality and preached against homosexuality. The man is clearly not a friend to our community. And yet, watching the documentary, it is easy to sympathize with him because he is so incredibly pathetic.

Posted by: peterparker | Jan 30, 2009 12:10:41 PM

9. Ted Haggard breaking down binaries? How about still lying to himself and his family? He behaves as if his sexuality were more mysterious than anyone else's, as if no one has gone through what he is going through. He's still the selfish center of his own little world, which is no different from his mindset when he was preaching against gays and taking advantage of sexually vulnerable church members.
    I'm all for breaking down limits and labels, but only when it's done through truth.

Posted by: Joel | Jan 30, 2009 12:12:26 PM

10. Didn't watch it. Won;t watch it.

Fuck you Haggard and Fuck Oprah, Larry King, HBO and all the other media for trying to humaize the hypocritcal hate mongering closet queen fucker.

Rant over

Posted by: Will | Jan 30, 2009 12:14:07 PM

11. Please...look at those lips. Those are some soup coolers.

Posted by: Blair | Jan 30, 2009 12:17:34 PM

12. How do I say this....

I don't care!

Posted by: Sean | Jan 30, 2009 12:21:07 PM

13. In this whole circus the people I feel sorriest for are Haggard's wife and children. They clearly are in this surreal world that they don't feel they have control of so they play the denial game.

The sad fact is Ted Haggard is a gay man who is now a pariah among the Evangelical Christians of this country. He's in deep denial over this and I pray that he and his family will find peace and reconcile this fact.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Jan 30, 2009 12:24:18 PM

14. it was a little sad to watch. I come from the same background and knowing how the Christians always kill their wounded, it was par for the course.

but... he could just be honest with himself. his poor wife and kids - they really need to let him go.

Posted by: victor | Jan 30, 2009 12:25:28 PM

15. Joel gets it.

ALL Fundie preachers are liars and hypocrites. Haggard's simply an example of one whose lies and hypocricies finally caught up with him. Needless to say h's done his best to turn this into a Big Juicy Peromance for himself on the world's largest stage.

The kids? Most of them are old enough to leave this disaster and make new lives for themsleves. But they're Fundie zombies too, so to hell with them.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Jan 30, 2009 12:25:51 PM

16. ***It was sad to see his family, two sons and a wife who seems very sweet, endure the upheaval in their lives as a result of the intolerance of so called Christians. ***

Not so-called Christians. Actual Christians. Gene Robinson and Pat Robertson are both actual Christians. Those who are open and accepting and those who are bigoted and judgmental are all Christians. There's no true or false to it; they may be different kinds of Christians, but that's what they all are.

Posted by: MAJeff | Jan 30, 2009 12:32:10 PM

17. "I have not an ounce of sympathy for him or the bitch he married. She knew perfectly well what she was getting into -- like all women who marry obviously gay men."

Oh, come on now. Yes, she probably deserves some blame for not slapping him upside the head and saying, "Honey, you're gay" when she found out about his activities (though she's obviously in as much sad denial as he is, so I feel bad for her in that sense), but I think it's silly think that all women who marry obvious closet cases know what they're getting into. I know most women have decent gaydar, but some women are really that clueless.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 30, 2009 12:33:11 PM

18. I did see the HBO show. It's only 45 minutes. While it is sad to see how they were banished and struggling (His Biblical BA degree isn't even recognized in the secular world) I can't help but think he made the proverbial bed. That's some church to ban the man and his family from an entire state. The saddest, most pathetic part is like a previous poster commented. He cannot reconcile his homo person with the hetro he wants to be. I've heard him now a couple of times and he is really kidding himself. The dogma of his faith is really screwing with his head. There isn't one thing he has said that isn't recognized by every single gay person that struggled with coming to terms with Who They Are. Even Oprah said to him several times "Why can't you accept that is who you are...why try to change it?".

Posted by: Tom@NWOH | Jan 30, 2009 12:40:18 PM

19. I find it ironic that he is asking for more mercy and forgiveness than he was willing to offer before his "fall".

Posted by: David | Jan 30, 2009 12:50:32 PM

20. would it be possible not to presume we fully understand his situation? or is the subject at hand simply too personal and too easily identifiable for us?

i'm suggesting joel that what if he isn't lying? you seem to presume that no one else has gone through what he's dealing with? what if no one has? his situation seems pretty exceptional to me. i'm not suggesting that there's not something universal about coming to terms with homosexual desire and facing bigotry, but ted haggard's position seems to me to be pretty unique.

i'm simply taking him at his word--which, yes, history says may not be the most reliable arbiter of truth. but nonetheless i think it's interesting and perhaps illuminating to consider ted haggard's position outside of a binary structure and not dismiss the ways in which religious and cultural behaviours and beliefs intersect and influence sexuality.

but, admittedly, that doesn't mean i like the guy. he's a schmuck and an opportunist. and probably not worth too much effort.

Posted by: ben | Jan 30, 2009 12:52:53 PM

21. You know what I have to say to your "binary structure"?

Oh. Mary. Please.

Posted by: JeffNYC | Jan 30, 2009 1:01:17 PM

22. As a proud sinner, I say: Teddy, we didn't vote you our chief and we want you out of our tribe.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 30, 2009 1:09:59 PM

23. What I find so sad is that because of his religious beliefs, he has been fighting who he is for all of his adult life. Rather than saying, "I'm a heterosexual with issues", if he could just admit that he's bisexual (at least) and there is nothing wrong with that, he'd be so much better off. If he chooses not to act on the gay urges, so be it, but he is in such denial and it's all because of his religious beliefs. So sad. And because of his homophobia, he's felt compelled to condemn others. That hypocrisy is what bothers me most.

Posted by: BillinOakland | Jan 30, 2009 1:12:29 PM

24. I watched part of his interview on Oprah and I kept thinking that it would be great if Ted could just get over all the religious BS that was shoved into his head and just be his old gay self.

Posted by: MissNee | Jan 30, 2009 1:17:15 PM

25. Stopping short of saying I have some sympathy for him, I have known someone who has gone and is STILL going through this kind of struggle, though not on quite so grand a scale. My problem with this joker is that for all is going on about not wanting to be 'labeled' anything (which I totally understand), he STILL feels the need to label himself a 'HETEROSEXUAL with issues'. Someone needs to tell him that he simply has issues. Same sex attraction is a FACT not an issue. It would be one thing to be hetero and be curious, but when you're caught doing crystal with a male escort (for 3 years) and now the boys are coming out with their stories, I think someone needs to throw the bullshit flag down on good old Teddy and set him 'straight' on the definition of heterosexual.

And though I am in no way a big fan of Oprah, if anyone caught that show, I have to hand it to her for calling his wife on her shit.

Posted by: JR | Jan 30, 2009 1:18:21 PM