Evangelical Christians | Mike Jones | News | Ted Haggard

BigGayDeal.com

Ted Haggard: 'I am a Heterosexual with Issues'

Michelangelo Signorile spoke with escort Mike Jones on his show yesterday. Jones told him that he knows of two other men at New Life Church who had similar experiences as Grant Haas, the church volunteer who most recently came forward. Jones posted a YouTube video on Monday saying he knew there were others.

Haggard_2Said Jones to Signorile: "The interesting thing about all of 'em is that all of 'em went to the church or Ted Haggard regarding their homosexuality, not sure how to handle it, or what to do with it. That's what all three of these have in common."

Watch a short clip of Signorile talking to Jones, AFTER THE JUMP...

The Trials of Ted Haggard, the HBO documentary made by Alexandra Pelosi, premieres on HBO Thursday. The L.A. Times did a Q&A with Haggard and asked him about the film, and about where he is now in "wrestling with the issue that led to [his] departure from the church."

Said Haggard on that: "I am very pleased with where I am now. I have an incredibly satisfying relationship with my wife, and I no longer have the compelling and obsessing thoughts attached to same-sex attraction that I used to. So I’m very pleased. I think I’ve met myself more and I’m a healthier person...I don’t know what will always be a part of me, but I know they are no longer compelling, they are no longer compulsive, not even strong. Once in a while, I’ll have a thought. I think it’s just like a person’s thought about whether or not they should -- you know, it’s just an intellectual debate now inside of me from time to time, or an intellectual decision from time to time, rather than a compelling drive or urge. And that’s what I used to wrestle with...What my therapist says is that I am a heterosexual with issues, and I think that’s accurate."

Haggard is also scheduled to appear on Oprah today and Larry King Live Thursday night. Questions for Haggard are being accepted by CNN.

NOTE: Photoshopped illustration a satire, in case anyone, aside from Haggard, is confused.

Watch Signorile's clip, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Issue #1: I love cock.

Posted by: David D. | Jan 28, 2009 9:37:52 AM

2. God Damn! He just won't admit he's gay, will he?!? Shit!

Posted by: Michael W. | Jan 28, 2009 9:45:55 AM

3. "That's what all 3 of them have in common." Haggard condemned homosexuality from the pulpit, and when parishioners sought his pastoral counsel with sexuality issues, he leveraged their confusion and vulnerability to score adulterous gay sex. I would define that as coercion and certainly as abuse of power.
    Contrast Haggard's actions with the relationship between Sam Adams and Beau Breedlove, a consensual affair between 2 single Out gay men (age difference notwithstanding) and you may see why I unreservedly condemn Haggard while giving Adams a pass.

Posted by: Clay | Jan 28, 2009 10:02:58 AM

4. He really is pitiful, and, it shows that anytime one lets "religion" dominate their lives they will be unhappy and make all those around them unhappy. Faith has no place in the bedroom.

Posted by: Tim | Jan 28, 2009 10:11:22 AM

5. "it’s just an intellectual debate now inside of me from time to time"

Oh, Ted. I'm guessing you're going to need something else inside of you from time to time. Heterosexuals with issues are so sad.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 28, 2009 10:13:55 AM

6. We've all got issues. Get over it, Ted.

Posted by: S. | Jan 28, 2009 10:21:12 AM

7. So he has managed to turn a "compelling urge" into an "intellectual debate." That therapist is a miracle worker. Or maybe this is all a giant, stinking load of horse s**t. I'm going with the latter.

Posted by: sam | Jan 28, 2009 10:24:39 AM

8. How can he be a minister of god and teach people about spirituality if he is confused from believing what he preaches. I believe that being gay is a gift from god, to spread the love of bonding to all mankind. Also he is cheating on his committment to his wife. I believe you can be openly gay and still serve god. If you have gay tendency then dont preach against it, that is being 2 faced.

Posted by: duane harrison | Jan 28, 2009 10:40:46 AM

9. Here's an idea ... let's stop giving this gasbag the attention he craves. I plan to boycott the Pelosi HBO doc, and have no interest in what Haggard has to say to Oprah, King, or the like. They are enabling this closet case and the only way to make him go away is to in fact pay little attention to him, or to his idiot enablers for that matter. Here's hoping a great lawsuit unfolds wrapping Haggard and his former church up in millions of dollars in fees and awards to the victims of his selfishness.

Posted by: SJ | Jan 28, 2009 10:45:18 AM

10. I think a "homosexual with issues" is a lot more accurate.

Posted by: Dusty | Jan 28, 2009 10:54:45 AM

11. A heterosexual with issues? No shit Sherlock. You're gay and in denial, which amounts to some pretty meaty issues.

Posted by: Tom Clark | Jan 28, 2009 11:15:19 AM

12. SJ- I was going to disagree with you about this whole thing needing to go away, but you did it for me:
    "Here's hoping a great lawsuit unfolds wrapping Haggard and his former church up in millions of dollars in fees and awards to the victims of his selfishness."

Amen! This shouldn't go away AT ALL. Ted's ridiculous confusion and arrogance should be held up high for all to see. He's nothing but a clown, and the more publicity his gigantic failings get, the better for us it is. So don't boycott anything! Celebrate it. The public foolishness of our enemies is a gift we should not take for granted.

Posted by: JeffRob | Jan 28, 2009 11:17:43 AM

13. Ted Haggard is a man who created his own hell on earth. That's his right.
    Preaching to encourage his followers to make life hell for the rest of us is, without a doubt, evil.

Posted by: Jonny NYNY2FLFL | Jan 28, 2009 11:31:16 AM

14. Ted,

Despite your arrogance and some of the facts surrounding this incident, I feel bad for you. Actually, I've always felt bad for you. You've obviously got some inner demons that you're struggling with, but the sad part is, not everything you're struggling with is bad.

I sincerely wish you'd learn to accept who you are. If it's faith you're worried about, don't be. Being gay does not mean rejecting religion or faith. There are many religious and spiritual gay people.

If you're worried about what people will think, don't be. To be honest, more people think of you negatively now for continuing to live a lie than they would if you just came out of the closet.

Also, think about the millions of closeted people who are just in your situation. You obviously like being in a leadership position. Just imagine, you can be a leader and an example for those who struggle with the questions of faith and self.

Do the right thing, Ted. Be courageous. Come out of the closet.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Jan 28, 2009 11:34:02 AM

15. A therapist would never - or should never - put a label on someone like that. Nice try, Ted.

Posted by: Jackie | Jan 28, 2009 12:03:54 PM

16. What Ted Haggard needs is to convert to Scientology. They could cure him of all of these pesky little issues. Cause at this point, Lindsay Lohan is a more convincing lesbian than he is a straight man.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 28, 2009 12:36:23 PM

17. That ole' devil sure has a hold of this here fine fella!

He wants you so bad because you are pure and strong, Teddy! Fight it! Fight it!

Shouldn't this shithead have been completely "cured" by now?

Posted by: paul c | Jan 28, 2009 2:48:16 PM

18. You know what?

I don't really care about this crystal meth Ted.

So he thinks he's "straight"? Whatever. This denial queen is so f***ed up, it's not even funny.

My main concern is that he never get a job where he ends up using gays like he did when he was a "preacher".

Let him stay in the closet and NEVER touch a man again. He and his bug teeth can hide forever.

Posted by: FunMe | Jan 28, 2009 6:55:12 PM

19. I think we should rebirth him by wrapping him in a blanket and kneeling on his chest -- til he suffocates! That would solve his issues.

Posted by: David B. | Jan 28, 2009 9:03:44 PM

20. SJ above, beat me to it. Haggard is a Homosexual with issues, not a "Heterosexual with issues". Haggard deserves compassion to a degree. He is an example of how faux-religiosity and homophobia can harm not only an individuals soul but those around him. By buying into that belief system he is participating in his own degradation as a human being. But, being an active victim of that warped belief system doesn't make him a good person. That he is using this for self promotion, and to promote the patently false and evil "gay reparation" movement is truly repulsive.

Posted by: Ian | Jan 28, 2009 9:52:25 PM

21. HBO, OPRAH, CNN--a new book? What is Ted confused about? Definately not the good 'ole salvation of hard CA$H. This folks, is sadly what religion is all about. To Ted I say "Yeah, I found Jesus, He was under the bedsheets giving me head."

Posted by: StevenNAtlanta | Jan 28, 2009 11:43:56 PM

22. I don't understand why some gay men want Haggard to admit that he's gay. He's married with five children. I suppose he might be bisexual but why does anyone care.

As one commenter above wrote, who care how this "bug-toothed" guy identifies himself. He's despicable inside and out. The breeders can have him.

Posted by: elg | Jan 29, 2009 2:29:01 AM

23. Just as we gay folks know how our homosexuality influences our lives, and how it doesn't, heterosexual folks who are equally honest with themselves in a parallel manner can easily see through the self-serving lies of this pathetic narcissist. Truly many thousands of times sadder is the fact that Haggard's form of self-delusion has an immense establishment dependent upon his "story" being believable. The multitudinously crowded Closet as a deadly form of self-imposed imprisonment has a vast network of childhood indoctrination & the religious exploitation of misunderstood shame to sort of hypnotize people into locking themselves away. Never underestimate, however, the system's necessary component of truly "deadly" consequences for leaving the Closet into which one has been groomed to enter from even before their personal dawn of puberty. We as humans worldwide know that assault & homicide are easy “remedies” employed by deniers of homosexuals as "worthy to live.” It is the 21st century's version of the Roman Catholic Church's insistence that the universe was geocentric, not heliocentric. The simply empirical observations of Galileo & Copernicus that led them to their were discredited by the financial, political & civil law influence of the geocentric Former-Flat-Worlders of the Church. Heresy still resulted in heads on pikes, for Christ's sake! No wonder today that the flea of influence, Ted Haggard, proposes the absurd ramifications of his "therapy" to regain the financial spotlight. Why, even the truly brilliant likes of Galileo, with visions of being either dismembered or burned at the stake instead of being mercilessly beaten before being tied to a Wyoming fence, renounced what his mind knew to be true. Now that was an internal intellectual debate worth noting, as opposed to Ted's mental conflicts!

Posted by: RomanFingers | Jan 29, 2009 3:16:47 AM

24. Just as we gay folks know how our homosexuality influences our lives, and how it doesn't, heterosexual folks who are equally honest with themselves in a parallel manner can easily see through the self-serving lies of this pathetic narcissist. Truly many thousands of times sadder is the fact that Haggard's form of self-delusion has an immense establishment dependent upon his "story" being believable. The "Closet" as a deadly form of self-imposed imprisonment has a vast network of childhood indoctrination & the religious exploitation of misunderstood shame to sort of hypnotize people into locking themselves away. Never underestimate, however, the single but necessary component of truly "deadly" consequences for leaving the Closet into which one has been groomed to enter from even before their personal dawn of puberty. We as humans worldwide know that assault & homicide are easy “remedies” employed by deniers of homosexuals as "worthy to live.” It is the 21st century's version of the Roman Catholic Church's insistence that the universe was geocentric, not heliocentric. The simply empirical observations of Galileo & Copernicus that led them to their scientific conclusions were discredited by the financial, political & civil law influence of the geocentric Former-Flat-Worlders of the Church. Heresy still resulted in heads on pikes, for Christ's sake! No wonder today that the flea of influence, Ted Haggard, proposes the absurd ramifications of his "therapy" to regain the financial spotlight. Why, even the truly brilliant likes of Galileo, with visions of being either dismembered or burned at the stake instead of being mercilessly beaten before being tied to a Wyoming fence, renounced what his mind knew to be true. Now that was an internal intellectual debate worth noting, as opposed to Ted's mental conflicts!

Posted by: RomanFingers | Jan 29, 2009 3:21:45 AM

25. I feel sympathy for his wife and kids who because of his wife's blind faith is still supporting this obviously conflicted and confused gay man.
    Until he admits that he is a gay man she will always be shackled to him a prisoner of his making.
    I'm definately going to watch the HBO doc because I want to have a good laugh.
    I barely made it through wacthing the documentary HBO had on Evangelical churches that appeared before his scandal.
    I could not understand how these people who purport to be 'God's Children' were hateful, fear mongering idiots.

Posted by: tsagrednerp | Jan 29, 2009 6:42:52 AM