Al Sharpton | California | Evangelical Christians | Gay Marriage | Mormon | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

Al Sharpton Condemns Churches That Supported Proposition 8

The Rev. Al Sharpton spoke at Tabernacle Baptist Church in Atlanta on Sunday and spoke out against the Mormon Church and evangelicals who fought to pass Proposition 8:

Sharpton"It amazes me when I looked at California and saw churches that had nothing to say about police brutality, nothing to say when a young black boy was shot while he was wearing police handcuffs, nothing to say when the they overturned affirmative action, nothing to say when people were being delegated into poverty, yet they were organizing and mobilizing to stop consenting adults from choosing their life partners. There is something immoral and sick about using all of that power to not end brutality and poverty, but to break into people’s bedrooms and claim that God sent you."

According to the Southern Voice, "Sharpton came to Atlanta to celebrate the launch of the Alliance of Affirming Faith-Based Organizations."

He added: "I am tired of seeing ministers who will preach homophobia by day, and then after they’re preaching, when the lights are off they go cruising for trade...We know you’re not preaching the Bible, because if you were preaching the Bible we would have heard from you. We would have heard from you when people were starving in California, when they deregulated the economy and crashed Wall Street you had nothing to say. When [alleged Ponzi schemer Bernie] Madoff made off with the money, you had nothing to say. When Bush took us to war chasing weapons of mass destruction that weren’t there you had nothing to say. … But all of a sudden when Proposition 8 came out you had so much to say, but since you stepped in the rain, we gonna step in the rain with you."

Amen.

Sharpton decries churches pushing Prop. 8 [southern voice]

Comments

1. Amen

Posted by: richard s | Jan 14, 2009 5:54:27 PM

2. Go, Rev. Sharpton! Testify!!!

Posted by: ichabod | Jan 14, 2009 5:55:42 PM

3. Amen

Posted by: richard s | Jan 14, 2009 6:00:16 PM

4. Nice words. Too bad someone else couldn't have said them...

Posted by: JeffNYC | Jan 14, 2009 6:04:00 PM

5. Regardless of what I think about him, I'm glad someone said it.

Posted by: Jay | Jan 14, 2009 6:05:12 PM

6. Exactly. You need more people saying this. Don't get all picky about who says what. If they're behind the cause, then al-fucking-right!!!

Posted by: MissNee | Jan 14, 2009 6:16:18 PM

7. I'm impressed!

I'm also itching to hear the responses!

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | Jan 14, 2009 6:19:18 PM

8. THANK YOU AL!

Posted by: kcflood | Jan 14, 2009 6:29:01 PM

9. Wow. Now he IS preaching to the choir.
    I do, however, wish we would have attempted to get him to say this
    three months ago

Posted by: will | Jan 14, 2009 6:30:45 PM

10. Wow. That was fantastic. Thank you Reverand Sharpton.

Posted by: AvaB | Jan 14, 2009 6:31:03 PM

11. The more that I hear from this "crackpot", the more I like him! He makes some damned relevant points! :-)

Posted by: Marc | Jan 14, 2009 6:31:23 PM

12. Well, he finally said something intelligent, well composed, logical and true! I am shocked to say the very least!!! While I am thankful for his current words of wisdom, I still believe him to be a anti-Semitic race baiter.

I suppose that a blind squirrel does find a nut every once in a while because short of this statement, I do not think that the good Rev has every said anything useful. But for now, thanks AL!

Posted by: RB | Jan 14, 2009 6:55:15 PM

13. Rev. Sharpton has (to my knowledge) always been on the right side of 'our' issues. He was vocally in favor of same-sex marriage when he ran for president 5 years ago.

Yes, the Tawana Brawley mess was a misstep, but it was a long time ago.

Count me as a fan.

Posted by: Asher | Jan 14, 2009 7:07:46 PM

14. "I do not think that the good Rev has every said anything useful."
    -RB

That's only because you're an idiot.

Posted by: Nick | Jan 14, 2009 7:11:16 PM

15. Preach on, brotha!

Posted by: JonathanF | Jan 14, 2009 7:37:20 PM

16. yawn. the 'race pimp' gig is drying up so he's moonlighting as a 'gay pimp' for extra face time. whatever. al sharpton is and has always been a charlatan. don't be fooled.

Posted by: nikki | Jan 14, 2009 7:43:04 PM

17. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Posted by: Dback | Jan 14, 2009 7:57:04 PM

18. It's not surpringto hear that he's for prop 8 since a racist. No surprse, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't expect anything else from him.Stay in your own church and brainwash them and leave others alone.

Posted by: Tara | Jan 14, 2009 8:05:31 PM

19. can we not be happy just for the fact he's putting something positive for us out there?

Posted by: cal | Jan 14, 2009 8:12:58 PM

20. "It's not surpringto hear that he's for prop 8 since a racist."

Except, Tara, he isn't for Prop 8. You might want to check your reading/writing comprehension skills. Whatever anyone might think of him otherwise, he's on our side on gay civil rights issues.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 14, 2009 8:23:00 PM

21. Well said Mr Sharpton

Strangely I am not surprised. Many have an image of Sharpton in their head that is quite different from the reality. Despite totally disagreeing with the whole religion thing, he makes a lot of sense more often than people realize.

My fave of his will always be when he talked about unfair trade practices ".....unfair trade practices? I'm the product of unfair trade practices."

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Jan 14, 2009 8:30:08 PM

22. LOL! His summary is the best I've heard on this subject. He deserves praise for this comment. If you disagree with him on other issues, um, that's called real life.

Posted by: David T | Jan 14, 2009 8:37:19 PM

23. Holy cow! I never thought I'd say this, but God bless Al Sharpton.

Posted by: Brian | Jan 14, 2009 8:37:49 PM

24. Wow! This is the clearest and strongest language I have ever heard Rev. Sharpton use and he is rocking my world! You go!! I hope to hear MUCH more from him addressing the "christian" community regarding their hateful practices. Amen!!!

Posted by: Jim | Jan 14, 2009 8:45:53 PM

25. ERNIE: Why to you have to criticize TARA in that way? Just because she said something you don't agree with doesn't mean it's appropriate to lash out for something that could have simply been written quickly. It's my understanding that this site isn't to be used to release underlying anger issues. You could have simply said you didn't agree with her thoughts.

Posted by: willy | Jan 14, 2009 8:57:13 PM