Al Sharpton | California | Evangelical Christians | Gay Marriage | Mormon | News | Proposition 8

BigGayDeal.com

Al Sharpton Condemns Churches That Supported Proposition 8

The Rev. Al Sharpton spoke at Tabernacle Baptist Church in Atlanta on Sunday and spoke out against the Mormon Church and evangelicals who fought to pass Proposition 8:

Sharpton"It amazes me when I looked at California and saw churches that had nothing to say about police brutality, nothing to say when a young black boy was shot while he was wearing police handcuffs, nothing to say when the they overturned affirmative action, nothing to say when people were being delegated into poverty, yet they were organizing and mobilizing to stop consenting adults from choosing their life partners. There is something immoral and sick about using all of that power to not end brutality and poverty, but to break into people’s bedrooms and claim that God sent you."

According to the Southern Voice, "Sharpton came to Atlanta to celebrate the launch of the Alliance of Affirming Faith-Based Organizations."

He added: "I am tired of seeing ministers who will preach homophobia by day, and then after they’re preaching, when the lights are off they go cruising for trade...We know you’re not preaching the Bible, because if you were preaching the Bible we would have heard from you. We would have heard from you when people were starving in California, when they deregulated the economy and crashed Wall Street you had nothing to say. When [alleged Ponzi schemer Bernie] Madoff made off with the money, you had nothing to say. When Bush took us to war chasing weapons of mass destruction that weren’t there you had nothing to say. … But all of a sudden when Proposition 8 came out you had so much to say, but since you stepped in the rain, we gonna step in the rain with you."

Amen.

Sharpton decries churches pushing Prop. 8 [southern voice]

Comments

1. "Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality."
    --Martin Luther King, Jr.

Today (Jan. 15) would have been the 80th birthday of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It's ironic that we're still talking about equal rights when we haven't even fully tackled the social ills he fought against: poverty, discrimination, racism, inner city blight, etc.

Seems to me, the best way to win legal protection from same sex discrimination and to gain gay marraige is to fight injustice as a whole. Stop attacking each other and do it.

Posted by: Mercurys Wings | Jan 15, 2009 11:38:08 AM

2. Ernie: I apologize for making assumptions. i guess I did exactly what i was accusing you of in the first place. Sorry if I offended you.

Posted by: willy | Jan 15, 2009 12:29:00 PM

3. Thank you Derek from Philly. I agree. I just get so angry when I, with others, get broad brushed as racist. I know when you read the racist crap you get angry too and I don’t blame you. You can believe that when a white person says a racist slur in front of me they are corrected on the spot. And that’s what it’s going to take, each one of us in the Gay community speaking out on it. We all should not let the haters create a divide in the community.
    Brandon, I said that mainly because you agreed with DJ’s who did say how he “read nothing but racist comment from the white gay readers of this blog”. It’s DJ’s comment that really made me mad. And you did say: “ DJ: I hear you, but should we really be surprised?” That sure does sound like you agreed with DJ that ALL the white commenter’s are racist. And that makes me feel like anything I say is going to be construed as racist. And honestly being called names doesn’t even bother me anymore. I’ve been called more names than I can remember. You get called a whole bunch more ugly words when you’re a mixed couple.

Posted by: WHATEVER | Jan 15, 2009 12:43:04 PM

4. I have been an admirer of the Rev. Sharpton for many years now. He gets a bum rap in the press because he is so outspoken. I can say confidently that I would want Rev. Sharpton in my corner were I ever to find myself in some dust-up with the police. Al Sharpton has been a supporter of gays and lesbians for man years, and an outspoken one at that! When he ran for president in 2004, he came to the LGBT Center in NYC. During a Q&A period, he was asked what his response would be if a gay man approached him and told him he was attractive. Mr. Sharpton's response was, "At my weight, I would be FLATTERED!" The place roared with laughter and Rev. Sharpton got a loud ovation. He's a good and decent man and I'm glad that he has spoken up again for us. Not only that, he has done a very good job of trashing all those "christian" hypocrites in CA who voted for Prop. 8. Go, Rev. Al!

Posted by: mike | Jan 15, 2009 2:01:08 PM

5. WHATEVER: I see where you could make that leap based upon your explanation. Respectfully though, I don't think that makes sense.

DJ said "However,Ive read nothing but racist comments from plenty of the white gay readers/commenters of this blog about black people."

DJ DID NOT say ALL white commenters are racist. He said he's read "racist comments from PLENTY of white gay readers." (My emphasis.)

While DJ's comments were provocative and you might disagree with them, let's no accuse him of something he didn't do.

That said, I agree with the spirit of your post in challenging the notion that not all white people/posters are racist.

Posted by: Brandon | Jan 15, 2009 2:02:50 PM

6. Jimmyboyo and Derrick, I'm not sure what effect Sharpton would have had if he'd been vocal about Prop 8. At first I thought he's too divisive to be much help, like Derrick said. But he might have swayed some black voters to vote no, along with a few religious folks of any color. He's mainly divisive among whites, so most white voters who were going to vote yes probably wouldn't have cared what he had to say.

I think his effect would have been slightly positive, but who knows. Even in California there was little coverage of donors to and opponents of Prop 8 until after the election. I only knew about Brad Pitt and other highly visible opponents because of Towleroad. There was a lot more coverage of the supporters, such as the Mormons. Not sure why that was or how it affected voting.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 15, 2009 3:54:30 PM

7. Al Sharpton deserves our thanks for his comments, which were powerful, honest and thought provoking. Please write him at: show@SharptonTalk.net

Posted by: Tom | Jan 15, 2009 6:54:55 PM

8. Thanks Nick! You continue to show your intelligence here by your name calling. Thats ok, time to go back to work. Your break at the Gap is up.

Posted by: RB | Jan 15, 2009 10:12:27 PM

9. RB, you respond to name calling by trying to insult people? Can you explain the difference?

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 15, 2009 11:02:25 PM

10. I want to apolgize to anybody I might have offended regardng Al Sharpton.I though that he was pro 8 and that really pissed me off.Somebody e mailed me and straightened me out on it.I am sill not a big fan but I respect him for standing up aginst this ridiculous proposition!Sorry Ernie.I made a mistake.Iam a straight proud mother of a lesbian and I was just checking out Rev Ed Bacon and it led to the Al Sharpton clip.Sorry again!

Posted by: Tara | Jan 16, 2009 10:17:08 AM

11. Thanks, TARA. A little humility and humanity mean a lot more than being stubborn. I got to learn that.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 16, 2009 10:34:35 AM

12. Have to give props to Rev. Al for speaking up. Better late than never, the comment was spot on!!

And also, Tara, a lot of us could learn from you humbly acknowledging an honest mistake... Your daughter is lucky to have someone like you have raised her! Not enough of us fess up when we know we were wrong.

Posted by: CK | Jan 16, 2009 10:54:30 AM

13. Thanks you guys.Much love and support from San Diego!

Posted by: Tara | Jan 16, 2009 12:45:06 PM

14. Thanks, Tara. I wasn't personally offended, but since sometimes trolls intentionally misrepresent what pro-gay people say on here for their own political purposes, my response was a bit catty. In our rush to judge, we all make mistakes, myself very much included. Best wishes, hope you'll keep visiting the site. Moms like you are much needed in the fight for civil rights.

Posted by: Ernie | Jan 17, 2009 6:43:10 PM