"Ex-Gays" | Morrissey | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #413

PETERSON TOSCANO: "I spent years and years trying to de-gay myself through ex-gay ministries and gay reparative therapy. I finally came to my senses and accepted myself as gay. In this video I look at the several reasons why I tried to straighten myself out." (via truth wins out)

UFO: UK residents report that an alien craft destroyed wind turbines in a field. The Guardian attempts to explain...

MORRISSEY: The video for his new single "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris."

ANGELYNE: The 70-year-old delusional Hollywood "personality" freaks out at a paparazzo at 7-11.

Comments

1. Peterson is a beautiful, power voice for a community that so desperately needs to be heard.

Posted by: SB | Jan 14, 2009 5:09:02 PM

2. Andy- Wikipedia suggests Angelyne was born in 1958, making her around 50-years-old, if correct.

Posted by: homer | Jan 14, 2009 5:10:04 PM

3. I was going to ask Andy how he knew Angelyne's age. I have a friend who was her assistant about 15 years ago, and they still keep in touch. Her age is highly classified information, and he could never figure it out even though he had access to many of her personal items and ran errands, etc.

But Homer, there is not a chance in hell that she's 50. I saw pictures of her in the mid-90s, and there are certain things that even extensive plastic surgery can't hide. 70 is way closer.

All that said, I'm suprised she didn't embrace the paparazzi. She defines attention whore, and was probably a role model for Paris Hilton. Maybe that video was edited and the guy really did touch her or something. She loves cameras.

And now I've written far too much about a worthless subject!

Posted by: Robert | Jan 14, 2009 5:25:23 PM

4. Who the frak is Angelyne, why was a paparazzo interested in her, and mainly, to who in god's name is their 7-11 spat of any interest?

Posted by: amsam | Jan 14, 2009 5:41:22 PM

5. That was a really interesting, and rather inspiring video by Peterson Toscana. He seems to be really sincere and an all-out genuinely honest guy about his experience, and for that, I'm grateful he made this video.

However, I am troubled that Andy uses "LOL" as the slugline for bulleted text. If "LOL" is what I think it is and is being used in that context, I'm wondering .. what is there to 'laugh out loud' about? I really didn't think there was anything bone-tickling funny about what Peterson had to say.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it or misunderstood the context of "LOL" in this case of use, so I'm just curious, why "LOL" .. that's all.

But still, thanks Andy for posting the video.

Posted by: George | Jan 14, 2009 5:54:23 PM

6. I too wonder what's up with the "LOL" slug on the Peterson story.

It's probably just an editing error. There have been a ton of them on the site lately.

Posted by: Marc in Chicago | Jan 14, 2009 6:14:37 PM

7. Robert: Angelyne was brilliant and brought about this coverage by pretending to be angrily anti-paparazzi. Would we have even seen her on this or any other site had she not?

Posted by: Matilda | Jan 14, 2009 6:15:33 PM

8. I agree, what's up with the "LOL"?

Posted by: Mike | Jan 14, 2009 6:49:48 PM

9. Sorry guys. The LOL was from an item I originally had in the round-up and just got left in there by accident.

Posted by: andy | Jan 14, 2009 6:51:46 PM

10. Angelyne is one of the great cultural treasures of L.A....right up there with In-n-Out Burger and Fred Segal.

Posted by: txstevo | Jan 14, 2009 8:32:19 PM

11. Can't blame Angelyne, she knows the lighting in 7-11 is awful!

Posted by: DavidfrankRay | Jan 14, 2009 8:51:29 PM

12. morrissey,listen, just pretend hes there..

Posted by: j | Jan 14, 2009 11:07:50 PM

13. Peterson should have definitely de-gayed his eyebrows though -enough plucking already!

Posted by: nikko | Jan 15, 2009 1:49:43 AM

14. "The 70-year-old delusional Hollywood "personality"

That's ageist!!!

Posted by: borut | Jan 15, 2009 4:11:50 AM

15. Peterson's eyebrows. lol
    Well, he is currently touring in a show about transgender bible characters, so I think that has more to do with his eyebrows than his "gayness". But as his agent and friend, I will monitor the situation.

Posted by: Sarah | Jan 15, 2009 7:53:01 AM

16. Sarah, please fire whoever did Perterson's makeup. Not only were his eyebrows over-plucked but he did not need dusty brown eyeshadow and taupe highlighter under the arches. He displays what many would characterize as feminine facial mannerisms as it is. He does not need to over-emphasize those traits with poorly applied makeup. Unless, he chooses to present himself in semi-drag. If so, then carry-on.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 15, 2009 8:15:57 AM

17. Nikko, do us all a favor and post a link to a nice "un-gay" (yeah right) pic of yourself, since you seem pretty quick to judge other people's appearances.

Posted by: yup | Jan 15, 2009 10:29:01 AM

18. Rudy, he's actually all natural in this video. I tell him he needs a little color in those cheeks but having just come from South Africa insisted that he had a tan. I could not detect one, but I was not about to look for a tan line anywhere.

Hey and what's wrong with a feminized male? It's about being authentic and that in my book is HOT! Too many gay guys go for this hyper masculine thing and in some ways reinforce the same sort of anti-fem oppression the ex-gay movement thrives on.

If you are fem, then be fem. If others don't like it, it is their problem.

Posted by: Sarah | Jan 15, 2009 1:10:13 PM

19. Sarah, I agree with you that one should be who one is, fem, butch, whatever. I do not agree, however, with your claim that he is "all natural" in this video, unless your definition of same includes sepia toned eyeshadow on his lids and taupe highlighter under his (obviously shaped) eyebrow arches. Hey, I do not object and conceded that it was artfully applied. I think, however, that he would be more effective if his makeup wasn't so obvious. And, I agree with your suggestion that a hint of bronzer would be more beneficial than painted on "60s eyes," however artful. Hey, my opinion. But I taught stage makeup for too many years to believe your assertion to the contrary when it is obvious, especially if you freeze frame.

Posted by: rudy | Jan 15, 2009 4:49:43 PM

20. Rudy, I am a a straight woman, but I imagine you might teach me a thing or two about makeup. We may never agree on the Peterson makeup question, although since he is Italian he has this weird complexion that the father of a boyfriend of mine also had--olive skin and sooty eyelids.

I adore my Peterson and see how far he has come in the past few years. He was so deep in that closet and now when he portrays these trans Bible characters on stage it is stunning. But better than that I love him in his everyday life. So solid in himself, clear, grounded.

Posted by: Sarah | Jan 15, 2009 6:05:20 PM

21. Who the 'h---' is angelyne??

Posted by: jayshay | Jan 15, 2009 8:37:23 PM

22. Just stating the obvious, dear YUP.

Posted by: nikko | Feb 2, 2009 10:40:21 AM