Gay Rights | News | Utah

BigGayDeal.com

Anti-Gay Utah Senator Chris Buttars Stands Behind His Bigotry

Chris Buttars, the Utah state senator who was removed from two committees last week for his remarks comparing gays to radical Muslim extremists and saying they are America's "greatest threat," posted a message on the GOP senate blog on Friday,

Buttars "I was disappointed to learn of the Utah State Senate’s censure on Feb. 20, 2009. However, this action will not discourage me from defending marriage from an increasingly vocal and radical segment of the homosexual community. In recent years, registering opposition to the homosexual agenda has become almost impossible. Political correctness has replaced open and energetic debate. Those who dare to disagree with the homosexual agenda are labeled 'haters,' and 'bigots,' and are censured by their peers. The media contributes to the problem. Increasingly, individuals with conservative beliefs are targeted by a left-leaning media that uses their position of public trust as a bully pulpit. This pattern of intimidation suppresses free speech. For the record, I do not agree with the censure I see it as an attempt to shy away from controversy. In particular, I disagree with my removal as Chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, since my work there is entirely unrelated to my opposition to the homosexual agenda. Still, I’m a grown man and I can take my knocks. When it comes right down to it, I would rather be censured for doing what I think is right, than be honored by my colleagues for bowing to the pressure of a special interest group that has been allowed to act with impunity. Thanks to the many citizens who have written and called to express their support. Please know that I’ll live through this to fight another day. In years to come, we’ll all look back at this point in history and see it as a crossroads. I have no intention of resigning."

And according to one senator who says he agrees with Buttars' views, Buttars was removed from the committees not for the content of his remarks, but because he violated an agreement that he not speak publicly about gay issues because of his leadership position on the committees.

Said Sen. Howard Stephenson, R-Draper: "Most of what Senator Buttars said, I agree with. We as a Senate caucus had an agreement that because Sen. Buttars had become such a lightning rod on this issue, he would not be the spokesman on this issue, and basically he violated that agreement."

The Utah senate stands behind him, according to Senate President Michael Waddoups.

A refresh of Buttars' remarks, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. He's accusing the "left-wing" media of using a bully pulpit?? What was he doing? What an ass.

Posted by: troschne | Feb 23, 2009 1:02:37 PM

2. I hope these douchebags keep talking. The more they open their mouths, the more unhinged they seem.

Posted by: GM | Feb 23, 2009 1:07:11 PM

3. As an American who had to leave the US to keep my family together, I am once again appalled but appreciative of the crucial distinction Sen. Buttars illuminates: "Those who dare to disagree with the homosexual agenda are labeled 'haters,' and 'bigots,' and are censured by their peers. The media contributes to the problem. Increasingly, individuals with conservative beliefs are targeted by a left-leaning media that uses their position of public trust as a bully pulpit. This pattern of intimidation suppresses free speech."

Uh, Senator, this is not Right vs. Left issue. While it's true that the US media does zero to lead on this issue, the issue is indeed Free Speech v. Hate Speech. In Canada, the Senator would be charged with Hate Speech. People like the Senator think that they can say any old thing, even from bully pulpits, and it should be treated as a Free Speech issue. Then once they spew their hate, they complain because reasonable people make a reasonable (and on my view, very generous) response: censure.

Hardly. Hate Speech, which is what the Senator has perpetrated (and Rick Warren, and Rush Limbaugh, and Ann Coulter, and, and, and...), leads to jeopardizing health and safety.

Politicians repeatedly use, since 1993, queers as a means to rally their constituents in a mob mentality that extends clubs and baseball bats not understanding, acceptance or compassion. Most of these folks claim to be Christians which is one of the many cognitive disconnects the Right depends on for rationalization. There are plenty of reasonable conservatives who actually disagree with the Senator about the vested interest the State does/not have in protecting various US citizens and our guests.

And BTW, you're darned straight (no pun) there is a Homosexual Agenda. It's called Equal Rights Now.

Posted by: thom | Feb 23, 2009 1:08:25 PM

4. not a credit to his race at all...kinda' like the Rapper 50Cent--without the beat.

Posted by: Derrick from PHilly | Feb 23, 2009 1:14:02 PM

5. So I guess toeing the Mormon line doesn't count as "bowing to the pressure of a special interest group that has been allowed to act with impunity"?

Posted by: Kevinvt | Feb 23, 2009 1:32:25 PM

6. He's just agitated because his name is BUTTars. LOL!!!! Seriously, he should be removed. Why is this person in the senate. I know he's from Utah, but enough with the hate speech.

Posted by: CUB | Feb 23, 2009 1:38:16 PM

7. derrick

He isn't a credit to troglodyte neanderthals?

I am confused

:-)

Seriously though, yeah he makes my lilly white ass feel shame

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 23, 2009 1:38:35 PM

8. There shouldn't be a single interview with a Utah Senate Republican that doesn't begin with the question, "Since you as a caucus stand behind Senator Buttars, does that mean you agree with his assessment that Homosexuals are a greater threat to American sovereignty than radical Islam?" And not let the slippery little weasels get away without a simple yes or no.

Nothing on their agenda should be discussed in public until they go on the record with this.

And every lead of every story is either "Senator Jones distanced himself from Senator Buttars yesterday while talking about crop subsidies." or "Senator Jones, agreed with Senator butters on homosexual issues while attending the opening of the largest mall in the history of her district."

Posted by: Jonathan | Feb 23, 2009 1:50:57 PM

9. It would not surprise me if Buttars turns out to be another self loathing closet case, given his past history as Director of the Utah Boys Ranch, an organization with allegations of physical and sexual abuse.

Posted by: Olive Yurdich | Feb 23, 2009 2:19:42 PM

10. Jonathan I love the way you think!

Posted by: Frank | Feb 23, 2009 2:20:13 PM

11. "In recent years, registering opposition to the homosexual agenda has become almost impossible. Political correctness has replaced open and energetic debate."

You registered your opposition. People saw that it was based purely on superstition. (Anti-gay animus always is, which may be why it's becoming "almost impossible" to defend.) People expressed their disagreement with your ignorance, your savagery, and your inhumanity toward your fellow human beings.

This IS the open and energetic debate. You're losing.

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Feb 23, 2009 2:44:33 PM

12. If these publicly elected officials really do represent the views of the Utah citizenry, I pity the future of our country.

I'd love the honorable Sen. Buttars to explain how two men getting married in Massachusetts affects the sanctity of his marriage in Utah? I'm guessing his answer would involve 5 bible passages.

Posted by: David in Houston | Feb 23, 2009 3:00:04 PM

13. Boycott Utah and local mormon owned businesses! It doesn't matter if there are mormons who are on our side (an extreme minority, mind you), they're mormon and support the church! It doesn't matter if there are gay friendly folks in Utah, they live in Utah. No more excuses. Boycott Utah and mormon owned businesses.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 23, 2009 3:29:50 PM

14. I'm way ahead of you. I will never support anything based in Utah, or buy from anyone known to be a Mormon.

Posted by: Attmay | Feb 23, 2009 6:17:22 PM

15. Huh. Homophobe, bigot, liar, and now dishonest, too. Go figure. Here's my favorite quote: "Increasingly, individuals with conservative beliefs are targeted by a left-leaning media that uses their position of public trust as a bully pulpit." And we have always been at war with Eurasia. Those poor politicians! Unable to oppress and hate without being called on it. Oh the humanity!

Posted by: KJ | Feb 23, 2009 7:57:19 PM

16. For those of you who think that boycotting Utah and all of its citizenry is the answer, you don't understand the situation.

Yes, there is a large amount of hate being spread by the messages of Senator Buttars and his Republican colleagues, but even the LDS Church has distanced itself from his comments. The state Republican party chairman has also said that he doesn't speak for the party.

There is much work to be done in every state, and I don't hear anyone complaining about Sally Kern in Oklahoma, or Robert Diaz in New York, or any of the other state legislators that are holding back our fight for equality.

As much as we would like to blame the Mormons, they still have support because we aren't actively reaching out to those that we can. You can be spiteful and bitter all you want, but that leaves those of us who are in Utah in the same position. We will continue to fight for equal rights in Utah, even if people on the national scene don't recognize that it might be more to their benefit to encourage us to fight and help obtain equal rights in Utah than to ignore us and leave us to fend for ourselves.

Posted by: Nate in SLC | Feb 23, 2009 8:30:15 PM

17. So is everybody in Utah going to this thing?

Buttars-Palooza

Date: Saturday, February 28, 2009
    Time: 1:00pm - 3:00pm
    Location: Utah Capitol - South Lawn, 350 N. State St., Salt Lake City, UT

Party at the Capitol for truth and justice
    Music * Dancing * Street Artists * Food * Fun
    Featuring a special "tribute" to everyone's favorite Senator

Event details and RSVP for Buttars-Palooza:

Sounds like fun.

Posted by: Chino Blanco | Feb 24, 2009 4:37:24 AM

18. I'm going.

Posted by: Brandon | Feb 24, 2009 11:40:10 AM

19. It's people like Chris Buttars who make Utah look ridiculous, people already have a miscued impression of Utah with the main religion. The good news is people are starting to take a stand against this kind of thing, If i see Buttars on the streets I'm kicking him in the shins :)

Posted by: Alex | Feb 25, 2009 2:07:45 AM

20. For what it's worth, Mormon-owned, Utah-based TV station has just posted an editorial over at KSL.com that begins:

"The brouhaha over recent intemperate remarks by Senator Chris Buttars is more than a distraction, as some of his colleagues contend. It is nothing less than an embarrassment for the man, the institution he represents and the state where he lives."

Couldn't agree more.