I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | Les McKeown | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Bay City Rollers Singer Les McKeown Says He's Had Gay Sex for Years

Les

Some of you may remember the 70's band Bay City Rollers and its lead singer Les McKeown. McKeown recently appeared on a reality TV show about addiction, on which he told his wife he'd been having sex with men for years:

"His wife Peko was furious when Les admitted the truth while filming Rehab, a Living TV show about celebrities battling addiction. The show will be shown tonight at 9pm. She had flown to California with their 24-year-old son Jubei to support him. The Edinburgh-born star had been struggling with alcoholism for years and had been told by doctors he could die if he did not sober up. Les, 53, said his fascination with gay sex began when he was 'date-raped' by a man at the age of 19, at the height of the band's fame. Although he felt abused, he found he was attracted to men. He said he had had around a dozen lovers. He reportedly said: 'I've been a bit of a George Michael.' But he said these encounters never made him happy, and he began drinking heavily partly to block out he memory of the rape. He also admitted being unfaithful to his wife with other women."

McKeown says he's now "about 90 per cent fixed." He adds: "I've had 20 years of being an alcoholic and a secret bisexual so the other 10 per cent's going to take a little longer."

A Bay City Rollers refresher, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. This is news?! I was a really sheltered, naive kid, but I figured out he was queer when I watched their Saturday morning TV show.

Posted by: jomicur | Feb 18, 2009 9:49:45 AM

2. It appears as if he's wearing the same shirts he wore in the 70s - and expecting them to fit.

Yeah, I have nothing further to say about this man other than a snarky comment.

Posted by: taodon | Feb 18, 2009 9:51:03 AM

3. Quote: "I Was Gay But I'm Fixed Now."

Yeah, well, I fixed my housecat. But it's still a housecat.

Posted by: northerner | Feb 18, 2009 9:57:57 AM

4. Good for him! Drink that gay away!

Posted by: Olive Yurdich | Feb 18, 2009 10:11:35 AM

5. Towleroad's headline frames the story in terms of changing orientation, but that doesn't really seem to be what the guy is talking about.

Posted by: Distingué Traces | Feb 18, 2009 10:13:08 AM

6. I woulda liked a piece of him in that pic from the 70s. Of course, I would have been like 1 or 2 years old, but you know what I mean.

Posted by: shane | Feb 18, 2009 10:16:20 AM

7. He never said he was 'gay' or that he had any intention of being fixed. Rather, he's a bisexual who cheated on his wife with just about anything that moved, male or female.

Personally - if his wife thought they were living in a monogamous relationship, and if he really is bi (and we have no reason to think otherwise) - then it's a laudable goal.

Posted by: Red Seven | Feb 18, 2009 10:21:21 AM

8. Man, sometimes it is NOT good to revisit your childhood crushes.

Posted by: Dback | Feb 18, 2009 10:25:58 AM

9. The man was raped and traumatized for years. Isn't it likely that his statement about being "fixed" refers to his issues with dealing with that rape and the pain it caused him.

Posted by: noah | Feb 18, 2009 10:29:49 AM

10. Wow, that's strange. I was totally messed up and got FIXED when I came out as gay. Hmmm.

It's also strange, I have no idea who the hell Les McKeown is and care even less now that I know!

Posted by: David B. | Feb 18, 2009 10:31:00 AM

11. Don't you just love the resounding support?Could it be he possibly has been through hell & back the last 25 years?If he had a washboard stomach & a pout to die for,i am sure the responses would have been different.Bye Bye Baby.

Posted by: john | Feb 18, 2009 10:31:37 AM

12. Over and above all he's an alcoholic. A very sad total mess.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 18, 2009 10:43:05 AM

13. Did anyone get medical attention for that thing in the audience?

Posted by: Marc | Feb 18, 2009 11:46:13 AM

14. Yawn

Posted by: joel | Feb 18, 2009 11:49:01 AM

15. Yawn

Posted by: joel | Feb 18, 2009 11:50:46 AM

16. La la...

Now listen honey, I just wanna be beside you everyday. As long as we're together honey I am gay.

La la

Posted by: Marc | Feb 18, 2009 11:53:46 AM

17. What is the deal with everyone now getting gay raped. It seems like it is the easy out for people to say rather than say that they are really gay. There recently was a story about a baseball player who might have AIDS and the story talk about how he was raped by some mexican me, implying that that is where he got HIV. Did not Ted Haggard say he was abused too. I am tired of this because I simply do not buy it. This guy sounds bi if not gay. It just reinforces the idea that gays are only gay because they were abused and that they can be fixed.

Posted by: brandon | Feb 18, 2009 12:34:47 PM

18. Andy, rather than tagging this as both "I'm Gay" and "I'm Not Gay", why don't you add a tag for "I'm Bisexual"? I'm sure your many bi readers (including me) would appreciate it.

Posted by: Sasha | Feb 18, 2009 12:39:25 PM

19. it would be appropriate to remove those sarcasticquotes from around the date-raped descriptor. in my heavily alcoholic youth it is my shame to admit that i took carnal advantage of a lot of less than willing inebriated men. some of them were using the alcohol to free themselves of sexual inhibition, but a lot more were just taken advantage of, pure and simple, and were often deeply shamed, and no doubt traumatized. i have spent a lot of years making amends for those actions, and would tell mr mckeown so to his face. i wish him well in his emotional recovery and his sobriety.

Posted by: jack | Feb 18, 2009 12:56:13 PM

20. I always had a crush on Derek.

God! How old am I?

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 18, 2009 1:23:53 PM

21. btw, I hope the new posting system will solve the problems you began having recently.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 18, 2009 1:24:43 PM

22. How could he have gotten "date raped" to find out he liked men unless he had been gay in the first place to go out on a date with a dude? Wtf?

Even though they're before my time, I really do love the Bay City Rollers. Check out "you Made Me Believe in Magic" and "Summerlove Sensation" if you think they were one-hit wonders. They have some great stuff.

Posted by: paul c | Feb 18, 2009 2:32:40 PM

23. Holy shit! where can i get that shirt?!

Posted by: James Anthony | Feb 18, 2009 2:45:52 PM

24. [To JAMES ANTHONY]

I'm willing to bet any tacky boutique on Castro or Market would be a good place to start your search...

Posted by: Marc | Feb 18, 2009 3:14:58 PM

25. It's NOT crazy and apparently NOT true, despite what he sings in the song. Time for updated lyrics?

Posted by: anon | Feb 18, 2009 3:37:38 PM