Activism | Colorado | Kiss | New York | News

Gay Boulder, Cornell Students Stage Valentine's Day Kiss-Ins

Cornell

Approximately 20 students at Cornell University staged a Valentine's Day kiss-in demonstration on campus:

"Direct Action to Stop Heterosexism sponsored the event, according to kiss-in participant Ashley McGovern ’09. She explained that heterosexism is 'kind of like homophobia except heterosexism has to do with all facets of society … so the normalization of heterosexuality in society.' Heteronormativity refers to the idea that heterosexuality is the 'normal' sexual orientation. This includes the notion that people fall into two discrete categories — male and female — and that sexual relations are normal only between two people of different sexes. DASH didn’t necessarily have sweeping or profound aims for the kiss-in, according to McGovern."

BoulderAcross the country, at the University of Colorado Boulder, as I posted about on Friday, students staged a "Make Out Stake Out" flash mob action:

"At exactly 11:53 a.m. on the day before Valentine's Day, about 100 gay and straight students gathered around the Dalton Trumbo Fountain on campus. Some couples made out while other people held hands or hugged each other. After two minutes, the students walked off in different directions as if nothing happened. The event was meant to express their frustration because 'same-sex public displays of affection are often treated with less tolerance' than heterosexual displays, according to the organizers' Facebook event page. Kern and her friends organized the event, she said."

Videos of the action at Boulder, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Haha! Go Big Red make out sessions!

Posted by: Coffee&Chicory | Feb 16, 2009 8:11:22 AM

2. Oh, please! I hate this kinda crap! =(

Posted by: Marty | Feb 16, 2009 9:24:30 AM

3. Marty

Why?

What do you hate about it?

Posted by: Jimmyboyo | Feb 16, 2009 10:17:50 AM

4. All I want to know is who the cutie is with the backwards baseball cap, second from the right. Cuuuute.

Posted by: Cj | Feb 16, 2009 10:20:37 AM

5. I love this kinda crap, partly because it makes me a little uncomfortable. What bothers you, Marty? I'm honestly curious.

I've always thought that we'll have achieved real equality the day our nauseating PDA's are as tolerated and taken for granted as the straight variety.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 16, 2009 11:18:34 AM

6. Exactly how was that 100 people Andy? Were we multiplying by 3 or 4 or 5 or 6?

Sweet effort. At least the pretensions of college students have come around to this argument. And, of course - they are right.

Posted by: PERSPECTIVE | Feb 16, 2009 11:50:16 AM

7. Hey! We were kissing at Iowa State University too!

Posted by: Zack Ford | Feb 16, 2009 12:05:33 PM

8. Dearest Brant,

When I first saw that you were on Towleroad I thought to myself, "I must just be stoned." Then I realized you are in fact on Towleroad and its not me just being stoned.

Aww, my little girl is all grown up. Even in tiny Ithaca your crazy shenanigans get broadcast around the world. Becuz if we learned only one thing from PSU, its that a bunch of homos making out in mass mob formation is always headline news.

Yours,
    The Reading RR

Posted by: Reading RR | Feb 16, 2009 12:44:52 PM

9. Dearest Brant,

Yours,
    The Reading RR

Posted by: Reading RR | Feb 16, 2009 12:45:17 PM

10. Yay Ames (ISU '93)

Posted by: MAJeff | Feb 16, 2009 12:54:49 PM

11. Attention!
    The will be another group makeout session this Saturday at 1pm. It will be held in my basement. Please tell all your friends and email me fro directions!

Posted by: unicorn rider | Feb 16, 2009 2:02:14 PM

12. We did these very same things 20 years ago. Unfortunately I went to a conservative school (UVA) with a lot of closeted students, so our numbers were usually pretty small too (though we had at least 20---why couldn't Cornell get more?). Fortunately we always had some "straight allies" to boost our numbers.

It was fun but I'm not sure it achieved much.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 16, 2009 5:41:40 PM

13. My mind is completely blown! Electrifyingly revolutionary. This is perhaps the most radical form of "activism" I've ever witnessed. Next time, I want them to hum the gummybears theme song...or have it playing somewhere.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 16, 2009 6:27:54 PM

14. Hmm. I was hoping this would be more like an Improv event. Instead of them all stopping and freezing at a metro station it would be a bunch of people stopping and making out in the middle of a crowd. That'd still make it seem staged, but it would be more likely to include the crowd in the message.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: C. Foley | Feb 16, 2009 10:36:05 PM

15. Backwards baseball cap guy is cuuuute. Yes, please!

Posted by: Luka | Feb 17, 2009 12:16:34 AM

16. Lame. More press than couples. And they need a better spokesperson to speak to the media, she sounded flustered.

Posted by: Craig | Feb 17, 2009 12:54:26 AM

17. backwards cap boy looks like the frat closet cases that I was always turning down. give me the out dork :-)

"...so our numbers were usually pretty small too (though we had at least 20---why couldn't Cornell get more?)..."

My guess is that that most gays now don't see the need for such activism or for participation in a queer student organization given conditions have moderated so much (especially at more elite schools). Before the numbers were restricted by closet cases. It will always be a minority that fight and makes the gains for the rest.

Posted by: satori | Feb 17, 2009 10:05:22 AM

18. Let's take this kissing thing national, shall we? Same Sex Kiss Day: April 15, 2009. http://samesexkiss.org/

Posted by: Aaron007 | Mar 5, 2009 3:20:19 PM

19. Backwards baseball cap guy is cuuuute.

Posted by: penis büyütücü | Dec 14, 2010 6:04:46 AM

20. Haha! Go Big Red make out sessions!

Posted by: zayıflama hapı | Jan 3, 2011 12:04:21 PM