Comments

1. says

I love this kinda crap, partly because it makes me a little uncomfortable. What bothers you, Marty? I’m honestly curious.

I’ve always thought that we’ll have achieved real equality the day our nauseating PDA’s are as tolerated and taken for granted as the straight variety.

2. PERSPECTIVE says

Exactly how was that 100 people Andy? Were we multiplying by 3 or 4 or 5 or 6?

Sweet effort. At least the pretensions of college students have come around to this argument. And, of course – they are right.

3. Reading RR says

Dearest Brant,

When I first saw that you were on Towleroad I thought to myself, “I must just be stoned.” Then I realized you are in fact on Towleroad and its not me just being stoned.

Aww, my little girl is all grown up. Even in tiny Ithaca your crazy shenanigans get broadcast around the world. Becuz if we learned only one thing from PSU, its that a bunch of homos making out in mass mob formation is always headline news.

Yours,
    The Reading RR

4. Reading RR says

Dearest Brant,

Yours,
    The Reading RR

5. says

Attention!
    The will be another group makeout session this Saturday at 1pm. It will be held in my basement. Please tell all your friends and email me fro directions!

6. Paul R says

We did these very same things 20 years ago. Unfortunately I went to a conservative school (UVA) with a lot of closeted students, so our numbers were usually pretty small too (though we had at least 20—why couldn’t Cornell get more?). Fortunately we always had some “straight allies” to boost our numbers.

It was fun but I’m not sure it achieved much.

7. TANK says

My mind is completely blown! Electrifyingly revolutionary. This is perhaps the most radical form of “activism” I’ve ever witnessed. Next time, I want them to hum the gummybears theme song…or have it playing somewhere.

8. C. Foley says

Hmm. I was hoping this would be more like an Improv event. Instead of them all stopping and freezing at a metro station it would be a bunch of people stopping and making out in the middle of a crowd. That’d still make it seem staged, but it would be more likely to include the crowd in the message.

Just my two cents.

9. Craig says

Lame. More press than couples. And they need a better spokesperson to speak to the media, she sounded flustered.

10. satori says

backwards cap boy looks like the frat closet cases that I was always turning down. give me the out dork :-)

“…so our numbers were usually pretty small too (though we had at least 20—why couldn’t Cornell get more?)…”

My guess is that that most gays now don’t see the need for such activism or for participation in a queer student organization given conditions have moderated so much (especially at more elite schools). Before the numbers were restricted by closet cases. It will always be a minority that fight and makes the gains for the rest.