Charlie Herschel | News | Reality TV | Spencer Duhm

Gay Survivor Contestant Spencer Duhm Glad He Doesn't Sound Gay

Spencer

In an interview with Reality Blurred, gay 19-year-old Survivor Tocantins contestant Spencer Duhm expresses embarrassment over last season's gay contestant Charlie Herschel and the 'bromance' he had with fellow straight contestant Marcus (a friendship which Charlie has claimed the show's producers edited to heighten romantically).

Survivor10Says Spencer of Charlie: "First of all, I'm not crushin on Marcus. I understand, first of all, you can do whatever you want, but, have a little discretion, he's straight. Like, leave the man alone. Ugh. It just baffles me. Every time he opens his mouth it's just like 'I love Marcus, Marcus is great. I feel protective when he's around. I feel nervous when he's not around.' It's kind of like alright you have a serious crush on him. This isn't jokin. Stop. Just stop. I'm embarrassed for him. I know he's gotta be sitting at home embarrassed, red-faced."

In the same interview, Duhm thanks God that he's straight-acting and that his voice doesn't sound like a gay man's:

"I don’t like come across like most of the gay guys but I am, so I’ll probably be like—but then again, JP was gay and nobody knew that on the show; he was about the straightest I’ve ever seen. … But I won’t be Todd, I surely won’t be Coby. I won’t be Charlie. Holy shit. I talked to my parents and I was like, ‘Mom, do I sound like that?’ she was like, ‘Sweetheart, no, I would never let you go out in public if you sounded like that.’ Thank God."

Watch an unrelated clip of Spencer giving straight talk to fellow contestant Sandy from last night's premiere, AFTER THE JUMP...

Spencer Duhm: 'I want to be a follower, because that way they just overlook me'" [reality blurred]

Previously
Meet Survivor: Tocantins Gay Competitor, Spencer Duhm [tr]

Comments

1. Sad, really. Anybody still remember the cartoon character Pogo the Possum? "We have met the enemy and he is us"...? We can only hope this kid becomes more enlightened as he (if he?) matures.

Posted by: Carl Davis | Feb 13, 2009 1:59:57 PM

2. Hahahahaha, this kid thinks he doesn't sound gay?

Posted by: Pender | Feb 13, 2009 2:01:07 PM

3. Actually he does act straight.

And by that I mean stupid.

Posted by: Eshto | Feb 13, 2009 2:10:29 PM

4. Yup, he's a young dumbass, but there's a kernel of truth in what he says. Younger generation gays feel like they don't need to take on the catty, fem affectation that the rest of us older gays grew up watching, imitating and (some) adopting from the bars. Be honest with yourself, it's learned behavior. They put it into words incorrectly, but the sentiment is: we want to be ourselves, not some predetermined fem gay stereotype that was invented in the 70s.

There's nothing wrong with that idea, but there IS something wrong with the "straight-acting/straight-sounding" label. I've seen some extreme girly straight men too, so straight no longer means masculine to me.

Posted by: johnny | Feb 13, 2009 2:13:19 PM

5. OH great.. More self loathing and internatlized homophobia. Like we don't get enough of this crap from the outisde, now we get to bring it on ourselves.

Heterosexism (thinking that Heterosexuality is the norm and should be what we should all be aiming at imitating) is a disgusting waste of time.

I for one don't worry about if I "sound gay" or appear straight or am butch enough. I worry more about if I am truly being myself and am able to connect authentically with the world.

Good luck with hating yourself so much you have to try to be something else in order to be happy.

Posted by: Vince | Feb 13, 2009 2:19:20 PM

6. ***Oh the tragedy of today's gays...as if being "masculine" makes you a better homo...***

There are always plenty of queens coming to this site to proclaim exactly that. See the third comment in this very thread.

Posted by: MAJeff | Feb 13, 2009 2:27:42 PM

7. This self-hater is absolutely delusional. Watching the opening credits, as they showed pictures of each contestant, I saw him and said to my friend "That one's gay."

It took me all of a split-second to recognize him queerty.

As for Charlie and Marcus, they were adorable. Why should Charlie be embarrassed that he had a crush, or even felt love for Marcus?

They have a great, warm friendship...which is more than this twit will ever have.

Posted by: paul c | Feb 13, 2009 2:41:53 PM

8. For what it's worth, Spencer himself didn't ever actually say "straight acting." And look, Charlie was, or was at least edited to be, embarrassing.

Posted by: John T. | Feb 13, 2009 2:55:17 PM

9. What's up with this post? The comment section isn't working...

Posted by: Pho | Feb 13, 2009 3:03:35 PM

10. He doesn't "sound gay" to me, as the term is widely understood. He seems pretty much like a mainstream masculine dude. Most people would not assume he is gay by his voice or his outward mannerisms. He is fairly masculine.

Posted by: Javier | Feb 13, 2009 3:24:43 PM

11. He is 19 so he will grow up, but that being said at 19 I was politically aware enough to understand why phrases like "straight acting" are demeaning to the community as a whole and show self hatred.

And regardless of what he, and his mother, would like to believe he would not commonly be assumed straight by most people. Even in printed quotes he like totally doesn't like come across as like st8 like.

Posted by: lambman | Feb 13, 2009 4:16:58 PM

12. The lady doth protest too much me thinks

If I hear myself recorded I think I "sound gay" but I also had to tell my coworkers that I am gay after several questions about why I didn't have a girlfriend...people just need to learn to be comfortable in their own skin and then others will accept you for who you are, playing straight won't win you anything woth having in the end

Posted by: testington | Feb 13, 2009 4:23:03 PM

13. i hate him, but i hate his mother more.

Posted by: spencer dumb | Feb 13, 2009 5:18:51 PM

14. i hate homophobic homosexuals.

Posted by: ian | Feb 13, 2009 5:18:53 PM

15. Glad others agree this guy sounds like a dumb, self-hating douche bag. Even his mom sounds like a judgmental bitch. And as far as the straight guy crush issue, haven't we all had one of those? They've actually turned out to be good friends of mine in more than one occasion... and everybody likes to be found attractive, even if it's not by their preferred gender.

Posted by: JimmyHarper | Feb 13, 2009 5:26:20 PM

16. Look everyone needs to realize-there are all different types of gay people-unfortunately the media, tv shows and reality shows tend to focus most of the time of what is characterized as the gay stereotype- everyones needs to get over Spencer's comments and realize if you're not fabulous and acting fabulous doesn't mean your acting straight -especially during these times let's be inclusive to all types and stop judging what is and what isn't gay- it sounds very similar to the black community with how black are you or are you black enough-people let it go!!!!

Posted by: jack | Feb 13, 2009 5:28:42 PM

17. I'm a year younger than him and even I think hes coming across as an asshat.

Posted by: Luka | Feb 13, 2009 5:57:51 PM

18. I won't suffer through the clip, but the blatant bashing described in the text of this post, is very "gay". How many years will it take for gay men to get over non-straight stigma. The quest for hetero-normative approval is so damaging and pathetic. Progress not regress.

Posted by: Charlos | Feb 13, 2009 6:06:51 PM

19. Neither of the contact links on the sidebar are working for me, so I don't know how else to make sure Andy sees this but... I can only read about 25 comments to this post (even though it's supposed to have about 65).

It's really annoying, especially since the email links aren't working for me either.

Posted by: di | Feb 13, 2009 6:28:18 PM

20. Im glad I dont sound "queenish" myself.In fact alot of people say I sound slightly like younger Robert De niro,probably because of the deep New Yawk accent and being italian.Most masculine guys dont like femmes.Why should they apologize for that.Im personally turned off by that whole get-up.If it offends you,Tough Shit.If more gay people didnt bide by those embarrassing offensive stereotypes we might have an easier time pulling off the civil rights movement.Thank you and Goodnite.

Posted by: Vincent | Feb 13, 2009 6:45:38 PM

21. I could careless.None of my friends are feminine and I am not feminine and neither is my boyfriend.If you wanna be fem fine,do that on your own time I dont care,just dont bother me.the only thing that I have in common with fem guys is the fact that Im attracted to men.Otherwise Im a huge automotive enthusiast and I like baseball.When everyone who is so outraged by this guy spencer can give me a legitimate reason as to why I should feel like the black sheep because I have more masculine ways than some of you,then we can talk.Frankly no matter what any prissy queen says.I am in no way ashamed of being masculine and preferably hang with masculine gays.End of story

Posted by: John the 4th | Feb 13, 2009 7:03:50 PM

22. Creep, I don't "sound" gay, but, am an out, prod gay man who shows the world, there is no shame in being gay, no matter what you "sound" like, too bad he does not realize he looks gay.

Posted by: Sebastian | Feb 13, 2009 8:01:50 PM

23. Self hating asshole. It boils my pink blood when I hear someone say `straight acting` or `straight looking`.

Posted by: Arek | Feb 13, 2009 8:11:09 PM

24. The little bitch just lost my support...internalized homophobia anyone?

Posted by: John | Feb 13, 2009 10:52:01 PM

25. The phrase "internal homophobia" comes to mind. How sad that young people are still afraid of being labeled 'gay,' even when they are. I'd say therapy might do the lad a world of good - or at least some intensive introspection.

Posted by: Brian | Feb 13, 2009 10:52:30 PM