Charlie Herschel | News | Reality TV | Spencer Duhm

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Survivor Contestant Spencer Duhm Glad He Doesn't Sound Gay

Spencer

In an interview with Reality Blurred, gay 19-year-old Survivor Tocantins contestant Spencer Duhm expresses embarrassment over last season's gay contestant Charlie Herschel and the 'bromance' he had with fellow straight contestant Marcus (a friendship which Charlie has claimed the show's producers edited to heighten romantically).

Survivor10Says Spencer of Charlie: "First of all, I'm not crushin on Marcus. I understand, first of all, you can do whatever you want, but, have a little discretion, he's straight. Like, leave the man alone. Ugh. It just baffles me. Every time he opens his mouth it's just like 'I love Marcus, Marcus is great. I feel protective when he's around. I feel nervous when he's not around.' It's kind of like alright you have a serious crush on him. This isn't jokin. Stop. Just stop. I'm embarrassed for him. I know he's gotta be sitting at home embarrassed, red-faced."

In the same interview, Duhm thanks God that he's straight-acting and that his voice doesn't sound like a gay man's:

"I don’t like come across like most of the gay guys but I am, so I’ll probably be like—but then again, JP was gay and nobody knew that on the show; he was about the straightest I’ve ever seen. … But I won’t be Todd, I surely won’t be Coby. I won’t be Charlie. Holy shit. I talked to my parents and I was like, ‘Mom, do I sound like that?’ she was like, ‘Sweetheart, no, I would never let you go out in public if you sounded like that.’ Thank God."

Watch an unrelated clip of Spencer giving straight talk to fellow contestant Sandy from last night's premiere, AFTER THE JUMP...

Spencer Duhm: 'I want to be a follower, because that way they just overlook me'" [reality blurred]

Previously
Meet Survivor: Tocantins Gay Competitor, Spencer Duhm [tr]

Comments

1. Have you ever been embarassed by someone in your family, and spoken to someone else about how it makes you feel? Insecurity and immaturity can cause an individual to say things that sound hurtful. I am sure Spencer didn't mean to put down the obviously more secure and more mature lawyer, Charlie. However, it does appear that way. Give him some time and ripening, and the young man will mellow out. We all went through the same thing. I was no where even close to admitting I was gay at 19, much less understanding other gay people.

Posted by: michael | Feb 16, 2009 4:54:36 PM

2. "Straight acting marine seeks straight cop to please...
    How straight do they look when they're down on their knees?"

- Romanovsky & Phillips

Posted by: Bryan | Feb 16, 2009 5:28:28 PM

3. "Oooooooh child that cracker was soooo GAY*!"

*Six Feet Under
    p.s "campness" is not a word.

Posted by: KarlBoston | Feb 16, 2009 6:38:37 PM

4. well i am also a gay 19 year old and i agree with Spencer all the way. i dont sound or act gay at all, and i actually find men that act femme to be a huge turn off. if i wanted a partner that acted like a chick i wouldn't be gay then would i? i am attracted to guys that actually act like a guy and not a girl. Spencer is the kinda guy i am attracted to, hes pretty cute, along with a pretty cool personality. so way to go spencer!

Posted by: Brant | Feb 19, 2009 9:47:28 PM

5. Spencer's comments are a disgrace. He needs to grow up and get a life. His internalized homophobia is showing big time. Spencer, just love yourself, and show some compassion.

Posted by: Dave | Feb 20, 2009 2:29:01 AM

6. Actually, his last name is pronounced "Doom." I went to high school with him, while he was still closeted, but let me tell you... his voice has changed considerably in four years. Everyone assumed he was gay back then, and his constant spouting of Survivor and American Idol trivia helped. (We loved him, though.)

Posted by: in defense | Feb 24, 2009 12:58:07 PM

7. Shame on you Spencer for hating the gays when you are one yourself. It's one thing to say I prefer more masculine than feminine...it's another thing to say I prefer "straight"-acting and don't like gay-acting.
    Remember...it's some of those "straight"-acting gay haters that are gay bashers. The gay bashers are still going to beat up the gays no matter how the gays "act".
    There's nothing worse than internalized homophobia.

Posted by: David | Mar 2, 2009 12:57:49 AM

8. First of all, Charlie is three times the man that Spencer will ever be; and Todd made it much further than Spencer. The mother is proof that some parents love there gay children, but are still homophobic themselves. And lastly, whether Spencer likes it or not most people can tell he's gay; and he screams power bottom.

Posted by: Damien | Jan 17, 2010 5:59:43 PM

9. You can't help the way your voice sounds. If you have a high voice, it's not your fault. Don't judge

Posted by: John | May 17, 2013 6:48:32 PM

10. Yea...ummmm. GAY! WAYGAY! No doubt. Would have picked up on it within 30 seconds. SORRY DUUUUUUDE... U aint as str8 actin as ur MAMMY THAYNKS!!!

Posted by: rocco11 | Sep 2, 2013 1:28:56 AM

11. Teenagers should not be allowed on TV. Period.

Posted by: Dave | Sep 24, 2013 2:29:40 PM

12. Effeminity holds back gay male equality whether certain gays want to admit it or not.

Posted by: JB | Oct 4, 2013 2:16:12 PM

13. .... and all I could say was "Get her!"

Posted by: Hagatha | Oct 7, 2013 9:36:26 PM

14. Effeminate gays are perpetuating stereotypes and making homosexuals look like clowns. Why do you think producers always cast flamboyant gays on reality shows? Because they look and sound funny and ridiculous (but in an embarrassing way). And if I want to date someone effeminate, I would date a straight woman!

Posted by: Jess | Nov 8, 2013 12:17:32 PM

15. Such absurdity coming out from a disgusting creature.. He and people like him are the ones that deserve to be put to shame and discriminated by the society, not the ones who can publicly embrace themselves with happiness and pride.. YUCK!!

Posted by: Alfrie | Nov 10, 2013 12:06:13 PM

16. He's such a Duhmass.

Posted by: Steve | Dec 12, 2013 5:49:48 AM

17. MOST gays don't "sound" gay! This kid is what's wrong with the gay movement. He has no respect for the fact that it was those who did sound gay, who made their voices heard are the reason why his and those like his, selfish as is even allowed to say the word gay in the media.

Posted by: Corey Mondello | Jan 19, 2014 3:03:22 AM