Awards | Barbara Walters | Beyoncé | Hugh Jackman | I'm Not Gay | News

BigGayDeal.com

Hugh Jackman Discusses Gay Rumors with Barbara Walters

Jackman

On Barbara Walters' pre-Oscar special, she asked host Hugh Jackman about rumors that he is gay. Jackman didn't deny it, but allowed his wife to do so for him again:

"Peter Allen has a great line. He goes, 'I know what you're thinking. You're just sitting there looking at me, and thinking now, is he or isn't he? Well, it's true. I am Australian.' Deb used to say - she came about 40 times to the show - and she used to go to the bathroom and she's be in the cubicle in the ladies bathroom, and she would hear people going 'I know he's married, but I'm sure he is. Is he or isn't he?' And she said occasionally she would yell out, 'he isn't!'"

Watch it and Jackman's musical medley with Beyonce, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. So, umm, does he even answer the question?
    Maybe it just doesn't matter-- he's so darned hot anyway.

Posted by: rob | Feb 23, 2009 9:45:56 AM

2. I don't care if he's gay. I just want him to be gay for [i]me[/i]/ Let Sir Ian worry about the politics of outing.

Posted by: Ben | Feb 23, 2009 10:00:09 AM

3. Jackman, his wife and all their publicists have been tell the EXACT same ladies room story for years with out any deviation. I guess if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes fact. When you have Barbara Walters proclaiming your sexuality on television you have issues and many hang-ups about it. If Jackman's sexuality were a non-issue no one would mention it.

Posted by: ggreen | Feb 23, 2009 10:16:19 AM

4. I LOVE that the screen cap is perhaps the "gayest look" he could have done. The ceiling eyes, the hand, it's just too much!

Posted by: Al | Feb 23, 2009 10:21:25 AM

5. I would still marry him. In a heartbeat!

Posted by: Tom | Feb 23, 2009 10:46:16 AM

6. Watch Out! Babs. He's got claws.

Posted by: anon | Feb 23, 2009 10:50:09 AM

7. I feel bad for his "producing partner" -- he's a human being too and having to keep their romantic relationship in the closet for the sake of Jackman's career is pretty depressing. Mind you, he gets to ride that hunk of meat on a regular basis, so I guess he can't complain.

(Anyone who thinks Jackman is straight is delusional.)

Posted by: Terence | Feb 23, 2009 10:54:37 AM

8. GGreen and Terence

Agreed

On his sexyness, for me not so much. I appreciate my more fem brothers and enjoy my more fem friends but in my personal life I prefer more butch guys so if he didn't move, talk, sing or dance I would find him attractive BUT

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 23, 2009 11:01:46 AM

9. he's still hot either way....

Posted by: alan brickman | Feb 23, 2009 11:05:07 AM

10. You know, Jackman's never *really* read as gay to me. I think people just can't believe that he can sing, dance, act, kick to high heaven and then turn around do a butch action role like Wolverine, all while looking that damn good. That, and wishful thinking. I say good for him that he's not afraid to pursue the variety of roles he wants and to be theatrical and camp, even. He lets the rumors fly.

Posted by: E. | Feb 23, 2009 11:22:50 AM

11. amazingly, i never heard that he's gay before.

Posted by: mike nyc | Feb 23, 2009 11:33:53 AM

12. gay or not, it really doesn't matter. he's one talented son of a bitch! i'm still bummed that i miss The Boy From Oz here in NYC. I hope he's going to do another musical soon. In the meantime, there's Wolverine in the immediate horizon.

Posted by: marq | Feb 23, 2009 11:50:25 AM

13. His producing partner has been his boyfriend for years. His wife is a notorious Australian fag hag.

Sign it, seal it, deliver it. Hugh, just shut the fuck up and come out. No one buys you as a romantic leading man anyway (see: "Australia").

Posted by: freddy | Feb 23, 2009 11:56:25 AM

14. The day society doesn't care about a persons sexuality is the day equal rights have arrived. I never thought about Hugh Jackman's personal life and it is a shame that he has to answer questions about something so personal.

Posted by: Cj | Feb 23, 2009 11:59:12 AM

15. His talent is so gigantic that its all that matters. If we only had more like him!

Posted by: joaquin | Feb 23, 2009 12:00:36 PM

16. I too have never heard anything about him being gay until now, and I've never thought of him as the least bit gay. It is pretty hilarious though when people pretend that they know him and what his life is like, and by hilarious I mean offensively stupid. Show some respect to him and his wife.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 23, 2009 12:26:51 PM

17. NEVER HEARD IT. DON'T CARE. HE'S HOT. HE'S AWESOME. I RESPECT HIM AND I'M A FAN.

Posted by: GOT2BC.C. | Feb 23, 2009 1:06:31 PM

18. It really doesn't matter to me if he's gay or straight. All that I know is he's not knocking on my door. Sigh!

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Feb 23, 2009 1:09:36 PM

19. Beyonce' ... YUCK!

Posted by: Booty | Feb 23, 2009 1:55:59 PM

20. I we can have so called "straight acting" gay men, I see no reason why we can't have gay acting straight men.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Feb 23, 2009 2:10:38 PM

21. he saw what happened to Rupert Everett.

Posted by: Selleck | Feb 23, 2009 3:26:16 PM

22. Any publicity is good publicity. I think his non-denial denial (letting his wife answer) is intended to keep people guessing and interested. It certainly keeps him featured in many online celeb blogs and gossip web sites. Whether he is gay or straight, it's a clever strategy to fuel this ambiguity and keep people guessing.

Posted by: Ian | Feb 23, 2009 5:46:35 PM

23. How is Hugh 'gay-acting?'

Posted by: Gabe R | Feb 23, 2009 7:15:28 PM

24. By "gay acting," I'm referring to the performances and mannerisms that sparked the rumors.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Feb 23, 2009 8:54:45 PM

25. Sorry, I've never noticed them. Just because he isn't uptight, can carry a tune, and can move well still doesn't qualify as 'gay-acting.'

Posted by: Gabe R | Feb 24, 2009 12:08:32 PM