Dallas | Evangelical Christians | News | T.D. Jakes

Bishop T.D. Jakes Speaks Out About Son's Gay Sex Arrest

JakesBishop T.D. Jakes, the homophobic Dallas megachurch pastor whose son was arrested last week after exposing himself and masturbating in front of law enforcement officers during a sex sting in a public park, released a statement over the weekend (which he also read to his congregation) distancing himself from his son's actions by pointing out that Jermaine Jakes is an adult. Bishop Jakes also says that his son is being shown a "restorative grace" indicative of his ministry.

According to the Dallas Voice, Jakes has said that he would never hire a sexually active gay person, has spoken out against same-sex marriage, and has called homosexuality a "brokenness."

Jermaine Jakes turned himself in to police last Thursday on an indecent exposure charge.

Read the full text of Jakes' statement, AFTER THE JUMP...

***FULL TEXT of BISHOP TD JAKES STATEMENT regarding SON'S ARREST***

As parents, we occasionally feel that our children do not live up to our highest and best ideals. When they do not, we don't diminish our love for them as recompense for our disapproval. Like our children, we also are not infallible nor do we profess to be. Our now adult son Jermaine is 29, but when he was at home he was a recipient of correction, compassion and wise counsel. We hope that the light of what we believe will guide him through times of contradiction and moments of concern as he continues to mature.

In spite of the family pain we feel from this unfortunate situation, it has given us a chance to show him the same help, support, and restorative grace for which our family and church is noted. Through our ministry at The Potter’s House, as well as our own home, we have for years offered help in the time of need to all adults, our five children and other people’s children.

It is in moments like these that I am so grateful that we do not preach that we are the solution, but we look to Christ for resolution. So then, as a very human family with real issues, like many other people, we will draw from the same well of grace to which we have led others to drink and be refreshed.

Bishop T.D. Jakes

Comments

1. God continue to strengthen Bishop and give him more anointing and grace to deliver the Word of God to the saints! We all go through pain. We live in a fallen world! Jesus Christ will end all the pain when He comes back! - Andrews Stopfords (Stone Praise Entertainment).

Posted by: Andrews Stopfords | Nov 19, 2012 10:07:23 PM

2. God continue to strengthen Bishop in Jesus Name! Every one goes through challenges including all the people passing comments here. May God be our strength as men! Amen!!!

Posted by: Andrews Stopfords | Nov 19, 2012 10:10:06 PM

3. I am so sorry that this awful thing has happen to the Jakes' family, and I know that this is nothing, but the devil, trying to hurt a man of God and he will fail. Bishop T.D. Jakes has helped me appreicate the word of God.

Posted by: ester | Nov 20, 2012 11:49:46 AM

4. ...I am praying for Bishop Jakes, his son Jermaine, the family and the rest of our society...we all have differences of opinion but I pray that thing that is common would perpetuated a better unity among all people...To God be the Glory for the great things God has done and will continue to do...

Posted by: STACK | Dec 11, 2012 2:29:09 PM

5. Kwame Kilpatrick will become a pimp preacher
    if he beats the coruption charges. Detroiters love preachers. Can I get a thumbs up? Thank you my fellow Detroiters!

Posted by: Elihu Miles | Jan 21, 2013 3:10:37 AM

6. A 29 year old man is responsible for his own actions, not his father or mother. Those of you who wish to push and promote the homosexual agenda, this is the message for you:

Posted by: T West | Apr 10, 2013 3:49:07 PM

7. You guys are so disrespectful!!! If you guys choose to be gay then be gay! Why do you always have to think that heterosexual people are ignorant and unloving...we don't shove our sexual preference down your throats so why do you not give us the same respect? Bishop Jakes never once said he don't love his son he simply said he doesn't condone homosexuality and he doesn't have too. He does not have to compromise with that spirit. He is not judging GOD is the one who has judged. Jermaine knows the truth but he's just like any other kid, rebellious and defiant. He's grown and he is responsible for his own sin and GOD is not holding his parents responsible for him they need to just love him and Pray for him like they're doing. I would advise you people to keep your mouth off the man of GOD before you fall into the hands of an angry GOD

Posted by: Adrienne Smith | Apr 22, 2013 8:20:08 PM

8. I pray for his son and I pray for all homosexuals to be set free from their sinful ways. I pray that they will not be abominations upon the earth as they are now. I pray that their blight, that which satan feeds with lust and immorality, does not destroy us. Our society is already breaking down at the family level. We got kids killing parents, and setting bombs in schools and races. Now with gays getting in to help destroy all that is right we wont last long now.

Posted by: Kasilofdan | May 13, 2013 8:17:54 PM

9. Wow!!!! All of this stuff can make your head hurt. I just thank God for His "Amazing Grace". I just love straignt, gay, and indifferent people.

Posted by: Thomas | May 26, 2013 7:07:40 AM

10. Bishop Jakes you are absolutely correct. I believe that you stated clearly that every individual is responsible for their decisions. Your sons choices are all his own. And you have provided wisdom, understanding to your son. I support your statement.

Posted by: Theresa | Jun 19, 2013 2:59:18 AM

11. We as Christ followers must STOP and ask ourselves do we TRULY have the LOVE that CHRIST had. I am still looking for a body of believers that TRULY possess the LOVE of CHRIST- we will never reach a dying world without the LOVE Gods LOVE -- we can say we possess that LOVE but do we REALLY--AMERICA NEEDS THEIR EYES OPEN TO WHAT WE HAVE BECOME-spoiled, self sufficient, and judgemental. The TRUTH is the truth - we must repent and TRULY PRAY FOR ONE ANOTHER. The only difference between a sinner and a saint is a saint has asked for forgiveness--we MUST never forget where we came from -- self righteous christians are more of a stench in the nostrils of God than a homosexual -- this is not to cast a bad reflection on Bro. Jakes - continue Bro. Jakes in your calling and continue to stand on the word of God and you will see His faithfulness - turning ashes into beauty- He will work all things out for good. May God richly Bless you as you continue to grow in His service.

Posted by: renee boyette | Jul 13, 2013 4:43:25 PM

12. Gays and those who practice Homosex,you need deriverance from that evil spirit,I command that spirit to leave you in the Name of Jesus Christ.Amen

Posted by: Musami | Aug 27, 2013 4:37:49 AM

13. Td Jakes has bee an asset has been an asset to my life and I wish him and his family nothing but the best

Posted by: Antoinette Sims | Sep 8, 2013 10:19:28 PM

14. There is always going to be people pointing fingers, most of you that do don't even attend church but you say things about men of God and you don't even read the word of God. When you talk about annointed spiritual men that God has called to preach his word you don't read the bible THE WORD SAYS TOUCH NOT MY ANNOINTED and it also means don't speak, these comments left are not from true CHRISTIANS because true christians pray for oneanother. I no that his son exposing himself in front of a. Police officer is not a christian thing to do, his son is an adult and he has made the wrong decision. Pastors with ....very high calling WILL BE ATTACT BY SATAN, If he comes through the pastors children or through the public if you believe this pastor is wrong in someway you need to pray to

Posted by: A black male in charlotte | Sep 12, 2013 5:52:50 AM

15. Pastor-Trim your lamp.Be strong romans1 is Gods and satan knows his time is short pastors son killed today in car greg"s son .I believe he died saved We ALL have unsaved in each family-kids parents-sis-bro YES be strong TRIM YOUR LAMP_Amen God will wipr our tears and remove from memory at death and rapture Israel had to kill Bens tribe way back angels took down Sodom for this sin it involves HATE an d Anger as the Moslems have too-TRIM YOUR LAMP amen Kay

Posted by: Kaytinkler | Oct 15, 2013 8:49:08 AM

16. Homosexual-Lesbian -alive Time to get saved soon Jesus comes ask God show me what antichrist will do to me- personally He will-look up-www.JoeDallas.org-renewedhopenetwork.org SeizeGodsWordAndDon'tLetAnyoneElseIn.FightFor YOUR Soul Satans A Loser.amenDon"t Join him and sellout your own soul for Lust amen Kay Prositutes do for DRUGS mainlyWhats Your OPEN DOOR?InGodsLoveAndMine-Kay

Posted by: Kaytinkler | Oct 15, 2013 9:26:27 AM

17. T.d.jakes you are a man of the most high n so be glad because you have fought a good fight and dnt worry abt your boy god is taking care of him

Posted by: Carolyn | Nov 12, 2013 2:43:53 PM

18. T.d.jakes you are a man of the most high n so be glad because you have fought a good fight and dnt worry abt your boy god is taking care of him

Posted by: Carolyn | Nov 12, 2013 2:44:30 PM

19. we would be very surprised about who has problems and don't even know it we just pray for bishop son and don't judge him or bishop t djakes bishop is a very compassionate man of god and we love them dr johnjones love peace & soul

Posted by: DR, JOHNJONES | Nov 13, 2013 10:42:58 AM

20. How ironic it is for a well know pastor's son to be arrested for beating his meat in a public place, especially whe his dad preaches that it is wrong. When I read this story, it made me think of an epesode of the Canadian T.V. production of the Trailer Park boys where they were at a mall parking lot and the security gard came out and told them that he caught a guy masturbating in the food court. It was quite hilarious to say the least.

Posted by: Tod Twiddles | Nov 17, 2013 1:53:33 AM

21. It surprised me when I read that T.D. Jake's son was arrested for beating his meat in a public place. It sue must have rocked his o'l man who preaches against that person's lifestyle. This reminded me of an episode of the Canadian television show "The Trailor park Boys when they were in a mall parking lot and the security guard to check what they were up to and said "I've had a rough day boys and had to take a guy down to the office for masturbating in the Food court. I found this quite hilarious but am grieved at the intolerance of those who call themselves born again Christians. Ba-a-a! Wake up!

Posted by: Tod Twiddles | Nov 17, 2013 8:26:31 PM

22. I was quite surprised when I read that T.D.Jake's son was arrested for beating his meet in a public place. I'm sure it rattled his o'l man, who preaches against this lifestyle, when he found out. This made me think of an episode of the Canadian t.v. show The Trailer Park Boys, when they were in a mall parking lot and the security guard came out to see what they were doing, and said;"Look boys, I've had a hard day and I just took a guy into the office for masturbating in the Food Court. I found this quite hilarious, but do not find Christian intolerance amusing.That is not funny. When are we going to start understanding and loving people for who they are?

Posted by: Tod Twiddles | Nov 17, 2013 8:48:21 PM

23. LET JUSTICE,LOVE & EQUITY PREVAIL.

Posted by: BARNABAS | Dec 7, 2013 12:55:23 AM

24. why are so many people bashing T.D Jakes?? exactly what did he do or say that warrants people to judge him in the exact same way which they complain about being judged? this world is so backwards !

Posted by: kobby | Dec 30, 2013 3:47:13 PM

25. @Bill, God didn't create nobody to be homosexual. On the contrary, The Bible against such conduct and says it is sinful.

Posted by: ode | Jan 14, 2014 1:26:44 PM