News | Oklahoma | Sally Kern

Sally Kern Calls for Anti-Gay 'Great Awakening'

The Oklahoma Gazette reports on the "Clouds Over America" conference of the John Birch Society in Oklahoma, at which gun-toting Oklahoma legislator and homophobe Sally Kern "called for a new 'Great Awakening,' referring to a period of religious revivals from the 18th century considered precursor to the American Revolution."

Kern_2Kern laid out various points of a "homosexual agenda" in which gays would ultimately triumph by convincing the world that homosexuality is a "superior lifestyle."

Said Kern to choruses of "amens": "You know, I've done a lot of reading on this. I wish I could describe to you their behavior. I will not because I would be redder than this suit. It's their behavior that we oppose. The theme of equality and freedom is the approach that the homosexuals are using today — totally perverting the true intention of what our Constitution meant. The homosexuals get it — it's a struggle between our religious freedoms and their right to do what they want to do...The solution is another Great Awakening, folks. We need a spiritual revival, and that will only come if God’s people, especially you pastors, will stand in your pulpits and vocally preach the word of God and thus declare the Lord this sin, and preach it in love, only then does our nation have a chance of overcoming the scourge of AIDS, HIV and the devastating destruction that the homosexual lifestyle is bringing on your children and our grandchildren."

God help us all.

(via good as you)

You may have missed...
Sally Kern Stopped from Entering Oklahoma Capitol with Gun [tr]

Comments

1. If that bitch isn't our call to action, I don't know what is. Hitler anyone? Seriously, this kind of shit isn't a joke, Oklahoma or not. These kinds of people destroy nations.

Posted by: Eric | Feb 5, 2009 11:27:14 AM

2. You know what? We don't need any help, from God or anyone else, when it comes to this woman.

No one, and I mean NO ONE, listens to this bitch unless they have already fully subscribed to her bigoted ideology. She's not convincing anyone of anything... she's just preaching to the already-bigoted choir, telling them what they want to hear.

Seems like Mrs. Kern has turned into a one-note act these days... but I guess when all you have is a hammer, everything ends up looking like a nail.

Posted by: The Milkman | Feb 5, 2009 11:31:26 AM

3. She really sounds disturbed..mentally not all there.

She's sick.

Posted by: daveynyc | Feb 5, 2009 11:32:02 AM

4. This Klanswoman is nothing new. Women like her also worked as guards at concentration camps during WWII. She is plain evil.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 5, 2009 11:34:14 AM

5. My lifestyle may not be a superior lifestyle, but it's certainly superior to hers.

Posted by: David D. | Feb 5, 2009 11:35:34 AM

6. C*nt of the Christ Child!

Posted by: taylor | Feb 5, 2009 11:35:39 AM

7. C*nt of the Christ Child!

Posted by: taylor | Feb 5, 2009 11:35:53 AM

8. C*nt of the Christ Child!

Posted by: taylor | Feb 5, 2009 11:36:02 AM

9. How did you like your pie, Anita Bryant?

Posted by: Matilda | Feb 5, 2009 11:38:17 AM

10. I'm way behind on my "devastating destruction" quota for 2009. I have been too busy cooking for my Mother, doing home improvement projects, and working- you know, the sort of things the vast majority of homosexuals do every day.

Posted by: Homer | Feb 5, 2009 11:39:22 AM

11. As Sinclair Lewis once said, "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."
    This woman and people like her are dangerous. Extremely dangerous.

Posted by: Ed | Feb 5, 2009 11:40:07 AM

12. If anyone ever wanted me to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights, it's got to be her.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Feb 5, 2009 11:40:19 AM

13. Keep at it, Sally! If she's indicative of the direction of conservatives in this country, then the "Great Awakening" will be the "Great Death Knell" for their movement. Her kind of living-in-the-past desperation is a last-gasp attempt to hold onto all the rubbish she feels slipping out of her hateful grasp. So keep blabbing, Sally, you might bring some more people over to our side.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 5, 2009 11:45:05 AM

14. So that's what all the hatred is based on; envy? She hates and fears gays because of our supposed "superior lifestyle"?

Girl could use a few therapy sessions...and a new stylist.

Posted by: Mark in NYC | Feb 5, 2009 11:53:57 AM

15. I'm not really sure that this woman is that dangerous. Maybe 20 years ago she would've been, but today her nuttiness just helps our side. Yes, she must be challenged, but I think it's safe to also laugh at her.

Oh, and Sally, if you happen to ever read these comments (and your ego is so big that I'm sure you read stuff posted about you on the net) , as a Christian who also happens to be gay, let me just say, FUCK YOU, BITCH.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Feb 5, 2009 11:54:21 AM

16. The beauty of people like Ms. Kern is they actually do more harm to their own cause than anything else. Ms. Kern and her followers will get all whipped up and put great efforts into antigay policies that will ultimately fail because Americans by and large do not subscribe to fanaticism. The population of the U.S. is not homogenous enough to support their rhetoric beyond their current base and the fact that the youth of America finds this sort of thing distasteful ensures their ultimate demise.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Feb 5, 2009 11:55:19 AM

17. Anita Bryant is such an old bag now. Oh wait.

Posted by: Wes | Feb 5, 2009 12:10:35 PM

18. If history does remember Sally it will be to put her next to McGovern as a bigot trying unsuccessfully to stop progress

Posted by: Jimbo | Feb 5, 2009 12:12:46 PM

19. But I do lead a "superior lifestyle."

Becuse for me, the only options I have are the life of an openly gay man or the life of a closeted gay man. I don't think that sexual orientation is accurately described as a "lifestyle," but the choice to be closeted or out certainly is. And yes, "out" is "superior." I said it.

Sally should consider coming out of the closet herself. It's dark and scary in there.

Posted by: Red Seven | Feb 5, 2009 12:13:24 PM

20. HOMOSEXUALITY IS NOT A LIFESTYLE!

Being Rich and Famous is a lifestyle, being black, white, gay or straight is just who you are.

Posted by: James | Feb 5, 2009 12:14:04 PM

21. Until the media stops swarming around people like her, Rush Limbaugh, Joe Wurzlebacher, etc... screaming for soundbites, it's just going to keep rolling. And you never hear these people publicly called out; all you hear is just how much they have a support base.

Like tuning into Nancy Grace's idea of BREAKING NEWS to find out what Kaylee's mother said this morning while she was taking a crap in jail. There IS an audience for all this garbage.

Posted by: Rad | Feb 5, 2009 12:15:02 PM

22. I say let Ms Kerns and those Like her - have thier own state..."wall it up"..and keep her kind IN, and the SANE people from Entering! Lets give her OklahomO...or say N.Dakota...let them live together and kill each other!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Feb 5, 2009 12:19:59 PM

23. Oh Sally, the great awakening is the world finally realizing that religious zealots like her and so many others are responsible for more deaths, more cruelty, more oppression than any other force in this world. Sally's a religious terrorist and should be treated as such.

Posted by: bryanD | Feb 5, 2009 12:21:08 PM

24. Disgusted american, as great as that fantasy sounds, just imagine the poor gay kids born into such a situation. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Kind of ruins the fantasy.

Posted by: GayRepublican | Feb 5, 2009 12:25:13 PM

25. Sweet Jesus, save us from your followers.

Posted by: Christopher Buczek | Feb 5, 2009 12:29:51 PM