California | Gay Marriage | News | Proposition 8 | Suze Orman

BigGayDeal.com

Suze Orman on Marriage Equality: Prop 8 Took Away a Birthright

Suzeorman

Financial guru Suze Orman talked to viewers about her Valentine's Day wish:

"In my opinion it is such a travesty that, a few months ago, Proposition 8, in California, passed. Proposition 2, in Florida, passed. What is that about, everybody? We are taking away a birthright, if you ask me, for people to get the most out of the money that they have spent their lives working. Those people are making money. They pay taxes on the money. Every single one of us deserves to have the same financial benefits whether we are gay or whether we are straight. And therefore, we have got to do everything we can to turn that around. Every single one of us deserves to be loved. Every single one of us deserves to love. And every single one of us deserves to make the most of the money that we have. That’s my Valentine’s Day wish for every single one of us."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via americablog)

Comments

1. I keep forgetting that Ms. Orman is a lesbian

Posted by: Pekemo | Feb 15, 2009 4:33:29 PM

2. Why is Towleroad accepting blog ads from Ancestry.com? It is a front group for the Mormon Church (the Prop 8 idiots)!

Posted by: Ggreen | Feb 15, 2009 4:39:56 PM

3. Bravo, Suze! It's hard for me to separate the real thing from Kristin Wiig's brilliant parody, but she's absolutely right, of course, and deserves accolades for using her power--as Ellen has learned to do--to speak on an issue of personal importance to her. Another example of how being out can make a difference.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 15, 2009 5:21:42 PM

4. Bravo, Suze! It's hard for me to separate the real thing from Kristin Wiig's brilliant parody, but she's absolutely right, of course, and deserves accolades for using her power--as Ellen has learned to do--to speak on an issue of personal importance to her. Another example of how being out can make a difference.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 15, 2009 5:23:34 PM

5. Oops, sorry for the double post. The comments section of Towleroad has been playing games with me lately. . . . While I'm on the subject, not to whine, but I hate how comments are now divided into multiple pages on posts with a lot of feedback.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 15, 2009 5:29:04 PM

6. The more people talk about it the more people will be open to it. Thanks!

Posted by: KFLO | Feb 15, 2009 6:24:41 PM

7. Yes, because Suze has no personal interest in the issue? I mean I love her to death, but I would like to see some heterosexual financial gurus start preaching the same thing!

I'll take it though. Suze is great.

Posted by: Sam | Feb 15, 2009 7:15:18 PM

8. I'm used to being wrong, so I won't be surprised if I am now, but I thought that, purely from a financial perspective, marriage was a negative in the short term, hence the "marriage penalty." Retirement contributions are different, so that's a plus. I thought the short term was more about immediate health benefits, lack of confusion versus "civil unions," immigration, etc.

Posted by: K | Feb 15, 2009 7:48:36 PM

9. I love you Suze. You are such a warm, intelligent, and brilliant woman. Maybe the rich, Republican, conservatives will at least LISTEN to you because you hit them in the only place that matters to them... their wallets. Your heart is infinitely bigger than their wallets.

Posted by: Jim | Feb 15, 2009 8:05:37 PM

10. Love, love, love Suze Orman! I love her message, everything that she does to help people with their money and her personality! You can realy tell that she cares about the people that she helps. What an incredible role model for the human race. We should be so lucky that she also represents the LGBT community. Thanks for you comments Suze!

Posted by: RB | Feb 15, 2009 8:19:32 PM

11. I really loved Suze until she started urging everyone to get out of the stock market the minute this shit storm hit the fan.

If she was just talking to her friends or a few clients, that would be one thing...but she is extremely influential among a wide swath of America and her words led to self-fulfilling prophecy of disaster when everyone dumped their stocks on her command.

Cute jacket though.

Posted by: paul c | Feb 15, 2009 10:19:11 PM

12. I really loved Suze when she started urging everyone to get out of the stock market, because in spite of the fundamentals being atrocious most financial "gurus" in the media continued to shill for their billionaire corporate masters and encouraged people to ride it out. Those people have all now been wiped out. Reality sooner or later trumps bullshit.

Good call, Suze! Thanks for sticking up for the little guy.

Posted by: JACKNASTY | Feb 16, 2009 1:36:05 AM

13. Speak, girl! Speak!

Posted by: damien | Feb 16, 2009 3:35:15 AM

14. Suze is my #1 favorite lesbian. Sorry, Ellen. Suze is a role model for all -- and I'm so glad to see her address gay issues directly to a general audience.

You go, girlfriend!

Posted by: oneway | Feb 16, 2009 4:05:31 AM

15. i'm sorry, all i see is kristin wiig.

Posted by: ANON | Feb 16, 2009 8:28:58 AM

16. Wow, that was incredibly powerful - I had to fight back a tear. This is exactly what each and everyone one of us has to do everyday if we want to begin winning back our rights and dignity. You go Suze!

Posted by: Kurt from Milwaukee | Feb 16, 2009 11:53:01 AM

17. Some people still don't know, despite her announcement, that Suze is a lesbian.

Yeah, it would be nice to have more straights stand up for marriage equality.

But Suze is pretty influential and her simple but powerful statement can and will make an impact.

Posted by: FunMe | Feb 16, 2009 6:13:49 PM