"Ex-Gays" | I'm Gay | I'm Not Gay | News | Tyra Banks

BigGayDeal.com

Tyra Banks Showcases Self-Loathing Gays

Damagedqueens

Tyra Banks dedicated a show this week to a bunch of damaged queens, some of whom plan to turn straight. One has even set a date when that's going to happen. These are the non-famous Ted Haggards and Larry Craigs of the world.

Tyra Banks is set to receive a GLAAD Excellence in Media award later this year.

Let the self-loathing begin, AFTER THE JUMP!

(via joe.my.god and good as you)

Comments

1. Its funny how quickly the guys in here forget THEIR lives back when they were in their teens and 20s. Most of us were in the closet, or facing severe adversity being gay at that age, at the mercy of our parents and classmates.
    These guys didnt need a counterpoint, though Tyra did several times call them out and make them try and justify their stupid ideas about being gay. Their words were enough to get sand in all of our collective vaginas and get this thread filled out.
    These boys will realize, with time, how stupid their thinking is, we can only hope they dont hurt too many others along the way.

Posted by: JT | Feb 20, 2009 2:15:43 PM

2. This show had nothing to do with being gay.

It was typical of the younger generation that has been struggling to find its identity, following a couple of generations of us who turned traditional identity on its head. The angle here was "gay", but the struggle for sexual identity and ANY identity is not unique to these kids and has nothing to do with being gay. Gay is just one of the pieces of the puzzle.

I don't blame these kids at all. They need mentors, guidance, someone to work with them on how to get more grounded in life and figure out who they are. It offends me that Tyra Banks is apparently modeling what a strong female is in this day and age -- while looking like she's dressed in drag -- and then treats these kids this way while they're trying to figure out who they are. It's appalling!

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 20, 2009 2:39:40 PM

3. The first guy MUST just be 'joking around' for the free trip. I couldn't watch the others. What a waste of time.

Posted by: Tom A | Feb 20, 2009 2:50:36 PM

4. Ah yes "Excellence in Media", for that hard hitting journalism.

Posted by: Juan | Feb 20, 2009 2:54:33 PM

5. A whole bucket of crazy.

Posted by: RP | Feb 20, 2009 2:56:24 PM

6. You guys are really getting carried away. First of all, only the first guy was an idiot. The second one basically said on the show he got over his fear of being gay. The third one, despite being sent to ex-gay seminars says he doesn't think it can really change, and doesn't want to change, and he's pretty sure he's going to end up with a guy. I don't know what all the fuss is about. Besides, Tyra mocked the first kid incesantly throughout. Can we stop being so f'ing sensitive. There are fucked up gays in this world, just like their are fucked up straights. When Jerry Springer brings on the who's-the-father crazies, no one is going, oh shit, straight people are nuts. Normal people don't do that about us gays. Sure, Sen. Buttar may, but he got demoted today, so what do I care what he thinks?

Posted by: Jon B | Feb 20, 2009 3:43:37 PM

7. They probably all did each other in the green room after the show!

Posted by: NYSmike | Feb 20, 2009 4:09:31 PM

8. Some gay people always overreact to this sort of thing. Of COURSE some gays hate being gay. I know plenty of straight people who hate being poor, hate being ugly, and/or hate themselves flat-out... that's genetics and circumstance for you.

SO WHAT! as Tyra would say, lol. Let them hate themselves and that's that.

Posted by: Drew | Feb 20, 2009 4:24:10 PM

9. easier. he said it. I've felt that resentment too against majority.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 20, 2009 4:26:10 PM

10. "They probably all did each other in the green room after the show!"

Oh, Lord! NYSMIKE, I laughed so much my throat is sore(and that's the only way it'll ever get sore again)....oh, my. And they didn't even crack a smile during and after their backslide into sodomy...oh, my (LOL)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Feb 20, 2009 4:42:48 PM

11. Yeah, at thirty... Contestant #1 will wait 11 years, because some scratches can't be itched in a lifetime. Now that's some killer gayface all around!

Be serious. It's not completely out of left field that some (many) gays wouldn't like being gay. It's certainly not an optimal trait and unfortunately limits attainment of the good life and happiness. Yes, the reasons are inexcusable and wrong, but ask yourself, would you want your child to be gay or lesbian? Of course, if they were, you'd be tolerant and accepting as you should be (and better at it as you're gay!), but would you prefer it? Want it; desire it for them? Knowing the hardships you've endured? If the answer is no--and it is--what does self loathing have to do with that? Not too much.

As an individual, all you can do is hope for the best, expect the worst, and deal with whatever you get. Arendt? Anyway, the only thing you have that you have any feeling of control over is yourself...and dignity can't be stripped from people who realize that.

It can be good if you beat the odds--and they's agin ya, pardner ;). But between the negative stereotypes, attitudes, and legal discrimination that constantly color our interactions with others and the huge numbers of damaged goods in the gay community (including these kids and adults), it's no wonder why people wouldn't want to be gay.

I personally don't like easy things (nozick's thought experiment pleasure machine would be a nightmare for me), so it's great for me! "Life is pain, and pain reminds you that you're alive."

Posted by: TANK | Feb 20, 2009 5:08:39 PM

12. Sean will find liberty one day when he realizes his problem is not gayness, his problem is gender and sexuality; comfort with and reverence to the human body, and understanding how gender personifies itself in different people. He's been taught to feel shame, and stereotypical roles about EVERYTHING (wife kids dog; how gay people act; what happiness is) have been ingrained in his young brain. Send him to a small, liberal college where people with brains will help him explore gender, society, and sexuality. Eventually, you have enough confidence in who you are without needing a label, and can ease into what makes you happy - men, women, being single, being monogamous...

Posted by: Zida | Feb 20, 2009 5:11:25 PM

13. This is absurd... I work at a TV Station, and get to watch her show everyday, but how she is just sitting there taking all this, and not calling these ignorant little turds out!! I mean, come on! This is the kind of garbage that makes people believe that homosexuality can be cured, for God's sake! I wish I had been in the stuido audience... I would have been kicked out, cause there ain't NO WAY I could keep my mouth shut.

Shane, the first kid, is just plain ignorant... I agree with everyone who says he needs counciling. His problems are deeply rooted, and he's never going to be happy until he can learn to love himself. And Tia... no words...

And Greg... OH, poor moronic, closet-case Greg... He just needs to experience the world and learn what his community is all about.. Maybe he should visit www.towleroad.com! Girl needs to chop up those closet doors and never look back... Of COURSE its easier to be straight, but it would be a lie. We all know that, hopefully he will too.

The couple... good for them for finding love, bad for him for claiming he's gay. I mean, really, bisexuality does exist. Just admit it! He likes hot dogs AND buns. Or maybe they are just lying to each other... hmmm...

And the last guy? Please... was he really necessary? He is the epitome of what Pat Robertson uses to preach his hate for gays and prove that we can be "cured". Its brainwashing and its wrong, and immoral... Their God will punish them, or so I can believe...

God! This was the LAST thing that I needed to see today. lol

Posted by: Patrick | Feb 20, 2009 5:25:34 PM

14. "After watching the first clip I have to believe that he was making up the story to get on tv and brought his boyfriend/best friend and fag hag along for a free trip. It had to be a joke. He was sort of effeminate, called vaginas caves, and said he only likes his penis because of the shape. It actually cracked me up and would be a good SNL skit."

EXACTLY. Attention whores have figured out the reality/talk formula and exploit it to the fullest.

Posted by: PL | Feb 20, 2009 5:59:31 PM

15. Tank, YES I WANT GAY KIDS. Heterosexuals are trouble makers.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 20, 2009 6:57:24 PM

16. Hahahahahahahahaha!

Tyra should rename her show to the Tyra Banks' Variety Show cuz it's freakin hillarious!

Posted by: gayalltheway | Feb 20, 2009 8:40:44 PM

17. Sad actually! Shane needs to accept who he is, but apparently he will not.

Sad! I have been there and I am thankful to God that I found my way in life. Happily partnered to the man of my dreams for four years now and will never look back! Shane however, I feel for.

Posted by: RB | Feb 20, 2009 9:30:18 PM

18. ABSOLUTELY STUPID..... STUPID STUPID STUPID

Posted by: PETER | Feb 20, 2009 10:21:10 PM

19. This is pretty disgusting and infuriating.

But you have to admit, those audience reaction shots are hilarious.

Posted by: Casey | Feb 20, 2009 10:42:18 PM

20. Holy christ, this is ridiculous. Who wants to be 'normal' anyway?

Posted by: Jared | Feb 21, 2009 12:34:49 AM

21. Love how the first guy talks about the majority of gays being effeminate and how much he hates it, when he's pretty effeminated himself. He probably doesn't realize how much of a queen he really is. Inside his head he probably believes he is a masculine-looking guy, hopefully this video will prove him wrong.

Posted by: LOLASTIC | Feb 21, 2009 12:49:13 AM

22. "Damaged queens" "Fucked up" "Idiots"

Wow! I sure hope the majority of posters here are not volunteering for any suicide hotlines around the country that try to reach out to the young gay men and women who are so filled with shame and self-hatred that they consider ending their own lives.

And you've got the nerve to criticize who GLAAD gives an award for being a friend to the gay community.

I'm not sure which makes me more sad. These young men or your reaction to them. Tragic indeed.

Posted by: JeffinLA | Feb 21, 2009 1:39:22 AM

23. Before we condemn them too much consider that it's the society they live in that has largely no doubt made them feel such self-hate and shame.

Posted by: EM | Feb 21, 2009 5:56:50 AM

24. They might hate Gay identity and Gay culture but they are 100% homosexual. Sexual orientation is not a choice.

And what the fuck us up Tyra Banks lesbian ass?

Posted by: Mark | Feb 21, 2009 10:51:21 AM

25. These guys are not uncomfortable with their sexuality, which is clearly homosexual. They're uncomfortable with the strait-jacket of "Gay" identity.

Why is so difficult to grasp the fact that "Gay" and homosexual are two distinctly different things? "Gay" is a learned cultural identity whereas "homosexual" is a biologically determined sexual orientation.

Avowed and proud homosexuals are not all necessarily "Gay". You don't have to be "Gay" to be openly and avowedly attracted to members of the same sex.

Posted by: Mark | Feb 21, 2009 11:02:59 AM