Gay Rights | Gay Slurs | News | Utah

Utah State Sen. Buttars Axed from Committees Over Anti-Gay Remarks

Waddoups

Utah State Senator Chris Buttars was removed from his chairmanship of the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Judicial Confirmation Committee for his remarks in a recent interview comparing gays to radical Muslims, calling them the "greatest threat to America" that he knows.

Buttars Utah Senate President Michael Waddoups announced Buttars' removal in a press conference this morning.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

The interview was broadcast as the fifth gay rights bill in Equality Utah's Common Ground initiative was defeated.

Said Buttars: "Homosexuality will always be a sexual perversion. And you say that around here now and everybody goes nuts. But I don't care...They're mean. They want to talk about being nice. They're the meanest buggers I have ever seen. It's just like the Muslims. Muslims are good people and their religion is anti-war. But it’s been taken over by the radical side. What is the morals of a gay person? You can't answer that because anything goes. They're probably the greatest threat to America going down I know of."

Video Courtesy of KSL.com

Comments

1. Well, I guess there ARE limits to Republican tolerance of KKK-like anti-gay hate.

Thank you to those who initiated the Common Ground Initiative. Pretty sad (and not unexpected) results here in the first go round, but calling the GOP to integrity at least helped set the stage for this change in committee leadership.

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Feb 20, 2009 1:35:33 PM

2. Tee.Hee.

Just the other day i said that this guy would go the way of Bull Connor.

It's happening WAY faster than I thought it would!

WooHoo!

Posted by: Derek Washington | Feb 20, 2009 1:35:55 PM

3. They should make Buttars go to the Freddy Mercury impersonator concert!

Posted by: Ken | Feb 20, 2009 1:38:24 PM

4. What an absolutely fascinating development.

Posted by: Pender | Feb 20, 2009 1:52:02 PM

5. Gosh I'm gonna miss Oh look, is that prawns with avocado and tomatoe salsa? Mmmmmm, so yummy.

Posted by: Marc | Feb 20, 2009 1:59:42 PM

6. I like how he was able to smear both gays and Muslims in a single paragraph. You don't often see that kind of efficiency from a senator. Actually, what's more impressive: he got himself kicked off the Judiciary Committee at the same time! HAT TRICK!

Posted by: MissyMiss | Feb 20, 2009 2:04:50 PM

7. good riddance to bad rubbish

Posted by: Gregsy | Feb 20, 2009 2:07:07 PM

8. I wonder though how much this was about Gay sensitivity as opposed to Muslims?

Posted by: Marc | Feb 20, 2009 2:09:44 PM

9. Too bad he's still a senator and is spending all of his time trying to explain to the media what "pig sex" is. My mo friends and I still can't quite figure out what he's referring to...

Posted by: msb | Feb 20, 2009 2:12:32 PM

10. cool news

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Feb 20, 2009 2:19:27 PM

11. Ridiculous! The man pulled the same crap just last year, this is nothing but a timid hand-slap. I find it unconscionable that the senate president would take such pains to say he's "four square" behind Buttars and that he "agrees with some of what Buttars says" (though he demurs going into specifics during the news conference). Sorry, too little, too late. The man can have his own opinion, but he sure as hell isn't suited to be a fair-minded representative of the people. He should be removed from office.

Posted by: ichabod | Feb 20, 2009 2:19:44 PM

12. Let me translate for Utah Senate President Michael Waddoups:

"I had to do something, so I'm kicking him off a committee, but that's not a punishment so much as a solution that allows him to more fully express his hate, which many of us agree with."

DOUCHE!

Posted by: DCposter | Feb 20, 2009 2:20:52 PM

13. Sheesh. Well at least it's not Oklahoma again.

Posted by: Eddie | Feb 20, 2009 2:28:56 PM

14. HA-ha!

Posted by: Nelson Muntz | Feb 20, 2009 2:47:35 PM

15. Ironically, Mormons--and not gays--are the biggest threat to Americans' way of life, as evidenced by the Mormon crusade to create and expand civil inequality and second-class citizenship for some American citizens they find too "sinful."

Posted by: leschuck | Feb 20, 2009 2:48:41 PM

16. I'm glad I called Waddoups office and told them I wouldn't even change planes in Salt Lake City anymore.

Posted by: Chris | Feb 20, 2009 2:53:10 PM

17. And now the Mormon church has weighed in:

“From the outset, the Church’s position has always been to engage in civil and respectful dialogue on this issue. Senator Buttars does not speak for the Church.”

That's a decent statement.

Unfortunately, I've never found much civility or respect on the comment boards over at Mormon-owned KSL. Or from any of the Utah organizations that lined up against the Common Ground Initiative.

Whatever. Here's a link to the actual presser:

Posted by: Chino Blanco | Feb 20, 2009 3:13:18 PM

18. Be afraid of the Gay Mafia and our sissy brothers the Radical Gay Agenda-ites. We are watching you. We know where you party. We know where you buy your shoes and matching handbags. We know where you buy that cheap cologne. We know where your little White French Poodle is taken for a walk. Be Afraid Be very Afraid.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Feb 20, 2009 3:56:17 PM

19. This is a token "censure" (it was hardly even that) and punishment. A mere performance piece in lieu of all five initiatives dying. His timid colleagues are attempting some transparent spin to make them seem more tolerant and open minded when in reality they've tolerated and encouraged as much from this douche for years. NOW? C'mon. Boycott Utah.

Posted by: TANK | Feb 20, 2009 4:22:00 PM

20. None of these Utah reporters can complete a full sentence without tripping all over their words. Uncomfortable much with gay related stories??

Posted by: rascal | Feb 20, 2009 5:21:38 PM

21. The sad thing is, although he is condemned nationwide for his remarks, just like Sally Kern in Oklahoma, he will probably get re-elected, again, like Sally Kern.

Posted by: CB | Feb 20, 2009 5:49:58 PM

22. This is not acceptable, and this is not over. The lame ass comments from the Senate President only reinforce my determination to keep pushing for Senator Buttars removal from office. Translation: Do not piss off gay people!

Posted by: David in Houston | Feb 20, 2009 6:53:14 PM

23. OF COURSE you're a bigot, Senator Buggars...bugger off. SATISFACTION.

Posted by: DUNKS | Feb 21, 2009 6:18:33 AM

24. I am still amazed how many straight folks think I got my 'gay card' by sending in a coupon or saving box tops. I ran for political office in Indiana and dealt with the Eagle Forum back in the 80's. I actually had never heard of gay marriage until they brought it up. I'm 55 and try to read all I can in the gay media. This Buttars is a moron, and the church leadership in Utah is right along side him!

Posted by: bill | Feb 21, 2009 9:16:47 AM

25. Presiding Senator Milquetoast is as pathetic as his lapdog Buttars is loathsome. Nothing has changed: basic human rights remain criminally denied in Utah and, to varying degrees, in many other states of the Union. Lipstick on a pig is nothing to celebrate.

Posted by: PAT | Feb 21, 2009 1:29:47 PM