Aaron Schock | News | Republican Party

CNN Turns Focus to GOP Congressman Aaron Schock's Abs

Schock

CNN's Howard Kurtz talks to Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL) about TMZ's interest in his abs.

Said Schock to CNN:

"People who watch TMZ or different mediums don't expect to see their congressman on such a show. They're used to seeing the Britney Spears or the movie star, but to see their hometown congressman on a show like this kind of raises their interest and gets them a little excited...I guess there's worse things they could be saying about you...I'm doing my part to get my message out and talk to the traditional media about those issues, but I also think some of these alternative forms are important because it gets non-traditional voters engaged...if they're learning about me on TMZ or some of these other blogs and YouTube videos then they're recognizing my face and my name so when I'm out on CNN or some of the other networks talking about issues, they're maybe going to stop from clicking the channel and listen to what I have to say."

Watch Kurtz's interview on Reliable Sources, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I really do hope that you guys are not writing him off only because he's a Republican. (Robert and Sam, do you have any resources to support your claims?) I do not pretend to know anything more about him beyond what I've learned from the CNN and CBS interviews. If indeed he is gay and chooses to hurt the community and our case for equal rights and all, then by all means, I hope he is outed in the worst possible way and it ruins his political career. However, he is slightly less than 3 months into his new job, and hopefully he has intentions of changing the dynamics of his party and congress by being the first young, Republican and outspoken (if not 'out") congressman FOR gay rights and equality.

Posted by: Marcel | Mar 23, 2009 6:13:34 PM

2. A guy who bucks polls to have Dubya campaign for him is not going to change the dynamics of his party. And given the margin he won by, it doesn't seem like he's got any incentive to (limbaugh country).

Posted by: TANK | Mar 23, 2009 6:19:53 PM

3. @marcel

Political parties are a sham mostly.
    I googled him and found several articles quoting his anti marriage equality voting record. It doesn't give specifics on the voting, but unless theres a netwide conspiracy to paint him as anti-gay, then its probably true.

"Despite having a solidly conservative philosophy and voting record on abortion, gun rights, gay marriage and other bread-and-butter conservative issues, Schock won 59 percent of the vote in the 92nd House District in 2006. The election, like his previous efforts, was a testament to his ability as a campaigner, one of his advantages over Callahan in this year’s election."

Posted by: Sam | Mar 23, 2009 6:27:08 PM

4. Um, which airport bathroom can I meet him in? YUMMY

Posted by: Josh | Mar 23, 2009 6:29:37 PM

5. So much for my hot fantasies of a sweaty, shirtless Barney Frank!! Woof!!
    {Sorry, kids..but I'm a buffet Democrat myself}

Posted by: tallrobert | Mar 23, 2009 6:36:54 PM

6. Thank you Sam. Wow, I'm .. erm not schocked, just speechless. I might just have to prepare my popcorn and watch what appears to be a trainwreck-in-the-making for what potentially could have been a page-turner in Republican politics. (Heh, I'm so naive!) ..

And, not that it makes things any better, he actually won his district by 69% -- according to CBS News/Early Show, http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4701513n -- not 59%. Limbaugh Country, it sure seems to be. Bleah.

Posted by: Marcel | Mar 23, 2009 6:39:24 PM

7. My bad Sam, I see that you were referring to the state House election.

Posted by: Marcel | Mar 23, 2009 6:41:40 PM

8. I was completely ready to loathe this guy and pronounce him a queen when I watched the CBS clip. But I also had to fight to skip grades, and also won. So while I hate his smarmy attitude, I have a grudging respect for him.

Then again, maybe he just wanted to be out of high school for the same reason I did---it wasn't a fun place for gay boys. Going to college at 16 was way more fun.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 23, 2009 6:48:41 PM

9. Definitely anti-gay as a lawmaker in the Illinois General Assembly (2004-2008). Definitely still a right-winger now.

In the 111th Congress, Mr. Schock is co-sponsoring a constitutional amendment to define "life" as fertilized egg and sperm. Although there's no chance of such a radical amendment getting out of the House of Representatives, it would: (1) overturn Roe v. Wade ***AND*** (2) empower Congress to make it illegal for the states to allow abortion.

I guess this what passes for so-called Republican moderation these days. As long as he's not plundering and raping villages with Attila the Hun, we should put him as a "nice" guy?

Posted by: John in CA | Mar 23, 2009 7:05:19 PM

10. Nick, having never been to DC, could you clarify?

Posted by: Tread | Mar 23, 2009 7:08:15 PM

11. LMAO at Sam and David E. --

as far as I can see in this picture -- he has a wide stance ;)

Posted by: David B. 2 | Mar 23, 2009 7:30:11 PM

12. Republican's that think Obama won only on his celebrity, youth persona (it did probably help) think that this is the only change they need to follow.

Hopefully it is the issues that caused people to swing to the left in the last 2 elections.

However people like this asswipe will answer the question. He's young, and apparently dynamic (so says the media) but his beliefs are as wingnutty as they come.

Lets hope in the next few years, the superficial republican makeover does not change the ballot box results.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 23, 2009 7:37:13 PM

13. "As with any GOP operative, I'd sooner fuck DEREK WASHINGTON's troll ass.

Posted by: Roberto | Mar 23, 2009 4:42:36 PM"

1/ LMFAO!
    2/ I'M A TOP. NOT "VERS TOP" , A TOP.
    3/ TROLL? Really LMFAO! It's my understanding that means a Republican who posts while posing as a Democrat or liberal or gay, etc.. Google me: Derek Washington Democrat.
    4/ What's your damage Heather?
    5/ Feel free to tune in to my upcoming radio show : "IN THE LV" starting Wed 01 April www.klav1230am.com or if you're Las Vegas 1230am From 9-10pm 10-11 is my co-host Chris Miller hosting "LOVE IN THE LV". The whole reason for the show is to talk about issues affecting the LGBT community from my liberal, take no shit off of Bitchasses like you, Roberto, point of view. Feel free to call in.
    6/If you need more evidence of my being a "troll" , Roberto, feel free to read (you do read don't you, www.dereksbigfatdemocraticadventure.blogspot.com
    7/ Thanks for the mention Biatch.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 23, 2009 7:39:27 PM

14. 38 comments!!! Andy rarely gets more than 8- look for more coverage

Posted by: frank | Mar 23, 2009 8:05:04 PM

15. Is he gay? My gaydar is usually pretty bad, but this one seems pretty clear.

Posted by: Tyler | Mar 23, 2009 8:09:29 PM

16. Explain to me again why a conservative cannot be physically attractive? Explain to me why a gay man cannot be friends/associates with a conservative. Give the kid a chance. Its a better chance to convince him we're equal than to convince a 70+ man who has been in congress for 40 years. This guy likely has gay friends. Let them work their magic. I wish a lot of people would realize that politicans are politicians. Very rarely to ANY at the state or national level express their own personal viewpoints - on the right OR the left. They say what their financial backers want them to say.

Posted by: BC | Mar 23, 2009 8:12:49 PM

17. With all that said. He is gorgeous AND he is clearly gay. I came out at 27. Maybe he will too!!

Posted by: BC | Mar 23, 2009 8:19:56 PM

18. If the rumors around Washington are accurate, then I'm sure Rahm Emanuel and Nancy Pelosi are looking forward to "more coverage" on Congressman Schock too.

He should be careful about what he wishes for. More than a few Congress critters have been the instrument of their own demise by being media whores.

Newt Gingrich. David Livingstone. Gary Condit. James Traficant. Mark Foley. Larry Craig.

Posted by: John in CA | Mar 23, 2009 8:21:47 PM

19. "38 comments!!! Andy rarely gets more than 8"

Frank, you must have mistaken Andy's site for Kenneth in the 212 or any of a number of the braindead blogs listed on the right side of this page.

Posted by: paul c | Mar 23, 2009 8:30:18 PM

20. PistolPete,
    "Yeah, I had abs when I was 27 too. Big deal. Check in when he's 40, then we'll talk."
    I'm 45 and still have those abs.

Posted by: A.S. | Mar 23, 2009 8:30:24 PM

21. @bc

If you are comfortable being friends with someone who personally feels you are less than other humans because of your sexual orientation, than by all means, go right ahead. His feelings towards gays and lesbians can be shown by his voting record, so its just not people lumping all conservatives together.

Lets not give him the benefit of hypothetical homo pals, or the easiness of swaying his opinion because of his youth. The facts are that he does not support us being equal citizens. And thats all there is to it.

I personally hope he never comes out. I don't want him. We don't need him. Its one thing to be in the closet. Its quite another to be in the closet, and be hurting those who've had the courage to be who they are.

Posted by: Sam | Mar 23, 2009 8:41:55 PM

22. Just another closet case that will be outed and resign when his e-mail pop up on male congressional aids computers.

Posted by: Jim | Mar 23, 2009 8:53:54 PM

23. I'm thinking he likes "the Britney Spears." Ha! Now I'm going to be saying that all day. "The Britney Spears."

Posted by: ANON IN SOCAL | Mar 23, 2009 9:20:18 PM

24. nice sack though, huh?

Posted by: william ww | Mar 23, 2009 9:22:37 PM

25. Can Andy or any of the commenters let us know where this photo was taken/published?

If it was taken as a personal pic posted on a friend's blog, that's one thing. If it's for any photo shoot, it explains why he was asked about his abs and says something about his agenda.

One thing to remember: while the guy may "read" as a closet case, any anti-gay views he has will make him a target of rumors from those with an axe to grind, whether or not there's any truth to them. Anyone can say anything on or offline.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 23, 2009 9:35:14 PM