AIDS/HIV | Lance Black | News | Pedro Zamora | Reality TV

BigGayDeal.com

Film on Life of Real World's Pedro Zamora to Air - Watch Trailer

Pedro

A TV movie about the life of Pedro Zamora, the MTV Real World cast member who became one of the first and most important faces of the AIDS epidemic in the early 90's when the story of his battle against the disease and activism against it, as well as his relationship with Sean Sasser, became known to millions, will be broadcast on MTV, MTVU, LOGO and MTV3 on April 1st.

PedroposterPedro will premiere this weekend on the closing night of the Outfest Fusion film festival in Los Angeles at the Egyptian theatre.

It's a story, as we know, that does not end happily, but Zamora gave hope to millions who contracted HIV. The film's screenplay was written by Oscar-winning Milk screenwriter Dustin Lance Black. The film is directed by Nick Oceano, executive produced by Paris Barclay, and produced by Quinceanera producers Richard Glatzer and Wash Westmoreland.

The trailer for Pedro, which stars Alex Loynaz in a retelling of the story, follows AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Looks good.....will def. watch it!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Mar 5, 2009 10:02:27 AM

2. Ok, I checked out the site. Most of these characters got a MAJOR looks upgrade. ESPECIALLY Puck! Unfortunately, I think Sean got a bit of a downgrade. I still look forward to checking out the movie!

Posted by: BMF | Mar 5, 2009 10:27:27 AM

3. Actually, I thought the real Pedro was much better looking.

Posted by: bading | Mar 5, 2009 10:45:28 AM

4. While I understand that "The Real World" gave Pedro the platform that made him known throughout the world, I would hope that the film doesn't come off as a commercial for the show and that they would downplay the show a bit more. He had a full (though short) life and the Real World was only a part of that. The clip makes it look like the cast of the show were his BEST friends in real life, and I'm sure that's not the case.

I still have to applaud the show for that particularly groundbreaking season. The show has become such trash the past decade...so it's easy to forget how wonderful the first and third seasons were.

Posted by: Patrick | Mar 5, 2009 10:48:50 AM

5. April 1st??

This will probably be as real as The Real World. Why don't they just rebroadcast the original show?

Posted by: anon | Mar 5, 2009 11:47:05 AM

6. I believe anyone who actually "lived" through that year of "TRW" will appreciate that someone has given Pedro's life a reason to celebrate it. At a time (1994-95) when there was still much to learn, many people where dying every day, new drugs on the horizon and a young Latino (Cuban) willing to step forth and declare his HIV Status!! Pedro's life is something we should all celebrate!

I am not so much looking for someone who "looks" like Pedro as much as I am hoping that his message from that sad era is enunciated! Thank you Dustin Lance Black for keeping the Message, that was Pedro, alive in our hearts and in our minds!!

Posted by: alex in boston | Mar 5, 2009 11:56:19 AM

7. Alex Loynaz, the actor that plays Pedro in the film, is the brother of a former boyfriend of mine. He's a great guy. He's compassionate, smart and funny. He's also witnessed first hand the devastation of AIDS at a young age. I'm very proud of him.

Posted by: Mark in NYC | Mar 5, 2009 12:20:26 PM

8. I would have rather if they had done a real documentary and shown clips from the real Real World, and done new interviews with the real people that were involved instead of doing re-enactments. Especially in the way it looks like its being done, with "interviews' and whatnot, it seems ridiculous that they didnt use the real peoplel?

Posted by: kitkats99 | Mar 5, 2009 12:29:33 PM

9. Bading: I hear you. I said most of the characters got a major upgrade. It's kind of hard to upgrade Pedro. He was such a hottie! I first KNEW I was gay when I was watching him on an episode of the Real World and had a visceral reaction.

Posted by: BMF | Mar 5, 2009 1:15:39 PM

10. you know I watched the Real World at that particular time and it was powerful...and despite what some of you may think, Pedro was best friends with at least one of the cast members, his name escapes me right now, but that cast member continued to fight for gay rights and even became a pretty famous comic book writer for marvel comics and I think he even wrote one of the first gay comic book characters.
    you know no matter what people try to do, there is always someone who is going to complain that it wasn't enough.
    the fact this movie is going to be shown on MTV networks is huge...the message will get out.
    the real world lives on, and it is an okay show...but it is not as nearly as powerful as when it first hit the airwaves.
    I have been watching and through the years the gay characters have been allowed to be themselves and have a sex lives, you have to give MTV networks credit for not just bringing gay characters in as the tokens.
    this particular season they have a transgendered woman...and it has been really interesting so far. Also, they still have the eye-candy, but they have picked some really interesting characters. you never know what is going to happen...8 strangers, picked to live in a house...

Posted by: Paul | Mar 5, 2009 1:26:18 PM

11. MTV is making a movie based on a person from their Real World series? Good Lord! I know there's a lot of recycling in Hollywood but this is ridiculous. Next there will be movie based on Dan Renzi and the huge fight he had with his Latina roommate in TRW Miami.

Posted by: Martin | Mar 5, 2009 1:38:55 PM

12. haha it looks so bad

Posted by: jpastor | Mar 5, 2009 2:03:04 PM

13. This looks good, but I think rebroadcasting an enhanced season with cast interviews and documentary footage from 1994 to now would be more powerful! This is the only Real World season I watched from beginning to end and the last the meant something. BTW, Judd and Kevin are WAY hotter in real life than in the trailer.

Posted by: Barry | Mar 5, 2009 2:18:13 PM

14. While some others pretended to be, Judd, Pam, and Cory were and remained Pedro's true friends in the house. They helped keep the producers from finding out that Pedro was sometimes sicker than he appeared so that he wouldn't be forced to leave the house.

Judd and Pam even fulfilled AIDS speaking engagements for him when he couldn't.

When he got very sick after returning to Miami, all three flew down to visit him and Judd and Pam were, along with Sean and Pedro's biological family were with him when he died.

Judd continued to do speaking engagements in his honor after Pedro died, and, a cartoonist, created a beautiful graphic version of their story, including Pedro's final days, that is a perfect introduction to young people of gay love and the AIDS epidemic. Its reprint appears this month:

RE Pedro's family: it's now chic to luv to hate Bill Clinton, but I trust the movie will include the fact that he personally called Pedro when he was very sick to thank him for all he'd done to educate the country about AIDS, and, when Pedro's roommate told him that Pedro didn't have long and had not seen his sister and four brothers in Cuba for 14 years, the President worked with the Castro government to expedite their visas so that he could see them again before he died.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Mar 5, 2009 2:24:50 PM

15. Well, I think the only one that got an "upgrade" was Puck. Pedro was an incredibly handsome young man, and pure of heart with a positive spirit. Judd was also very handsome and a good friend to Pedro, I think the real Judd was much better looking than the actor playing his role. I remember Puck as being as ugly on the inside as he was on the outside. Rude, vile and vulgar I remember thinking why in this world must someone like Pedro die so young while something as hideous as Puck lives on? Looking at the trailer, I don't think this film adaptation will do justice to the real Pedro. I'd rather see a documentary using actual footage and maybe catch up interviews with those who knew and loved Pedro. I'm not sure I want to see this film. I prefer to remember Pedro from the picture I have in my minds eye. Working in the Miami AIDS community at the time, I never personally knew Pedro, but I knew of him and his work. He was a very positive role model and much loved. I mourned his death then and still do, but I think in many ways his spirit lives on.

Posted by: Bob R | Mar 5, 2009 2:57:22 PM

16. Really, guys? A film about the life and death of a reality TV star turned heroic AIDS activist who died while fighting and educating the younger masses at a time when gay identity on TV was practically nil and all a few of you can really comment on is how hotter or not Pedro and the original cast was?
    We've come a long way, huh?

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Mar 5, 2009 4:12:10 PM

17. Does it seem weird that they wouldn't just make a really, really good, kick-ass documentary on him - Given that they have 75% of the footage already?
    For my money, it was pretty much the only watchable season of the series - and the producers really poured their hearts into it, and cast incredibly well... it also pre-dated the seasons where the kids got younger and younger. It was, for the most part, about them having to deal with the real world.
    Pedro was brilliant. I worked with kids back at Hetrick-Martin at the time, a number of whom were positive, and there's no way to quantify the impact he had. He was incredibly brave. I remember, in particular, how he and the conservative republican (religious; catholic?) - was it Rachel? - became friends. Totally brilliant. And the episode where he went back home with her, to do the presentation for her mom's class (as seen in the trailer to the movie), was just so, so powerful.
    I hope, and wonder, if the made-for-tv movie can capture that kind of power? I would love to see a docu, combining the best moments with interviews with the subjects now, reflecting back with distance. Additionally, it took me years to realize that one of my favorite comic writer's runs - Judd Winnick's Green Lantern, which introduced a gay character to DC comics - was the cartoonist from the RW house that season, deeply influenced by Pedro.

Posted by: Matt | Mar 6, 2009 1:54:57 AM

18. I saw the movie at the Berlinale last month and I must say I had heard of Pedro Zamora but didn't watch the reality show on MTV. This movie made me thought about what all we got, what all we have lost and what we fought to get here. One person at the audience (pretty literate about it) said that the main role acting was very convincing, specially on AIDS-related illnessess. It's a sad movie though, but makes you feel that all the fight was not in vain. Please, NEVER FORGET.

Posted by: Another Pedro | Mar 6, 2009 4:18:34 AM

19. Michael Bedwell, I don't know who's hating on the Clintons but some of us ADORE the Clintons, the adminstration, the man, the woman...the Clinton dynasty! I also have read how emotionally touched President Clinton was about Pedro's story and although advised not to comment on it, he chose to call him himself and make it his mission to find joy for Pedro in his remaining weeks. I saltue the Clintons for that (and soooo much more!)

Posted by: Bayley | Mar 6, 2009 6:01:14 AM

20. Personally, I'm glad he got AIDS. He had everything and he lived a life devoid of any negative or bad aspects. That's unfair. I'm glad in the end, at least, he got a taste of what the real world feels like, on a constant basis, for the rest of us (or at least for people like me). Where's your pretty face now, AIDS boy.

Posted by: bitter much? | Mar 6, 2009 6:59:13 AM

21. Hello -- calling Andy!! Who is this toolbag "Bitter Much" and why is he writing on this site? Bitter -- you are a fucking ASSHOLE.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 6, 2009 5:20:19 PM

22. Way before the Real World, Pedro was already a celebrity in my book! Any other person would have curled up and waited to die, but Pedro went out and announced to the world that he was HIV positive and spoke publicly to anyone and everyone he could to keep them from the same fate. I used to tell him he was a hero, but he truly believed that anyone would have done the same in his shoes. I was blessed to have known him, and the world is a better place because he was here...

Posted by: Ali | Mar 21, 2009 11:45:24 AM

23. Can we please stop using positive to describe gay people? Unless you're talking about their serostatus, stfu. Also, gay events and messages. Seriously, I'm not just positive, I'm HIV positive about this, guys.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 21, 2009 12:54:57 PM

24. Alex Loyna, the actor that is playing Pedro, is a long time friend on my family and I am so proud that he got a role in a documentary about a man who was so influential in the 90's!!!

Posted by: Chanell | Mar 23, 2009 6:25:03 PM