California | Gay Marriage | Kathy Griffin | News | Proposition 8

Kathy Griffin Rails at Gay Marriage Foes: 'What the F*ck is it to You?'

Griffin_sign

A Proposition 8 protest march which began Wednesday in Berkeley and began with 30-40 marchers finished up at the California State Capitol in Sacramento yesterday. The protestors, who numbered about 150 at the rally yesterday, received support from D-List comedienne Kathy Griffin, who showed up (with D-List cameras rolling) to condemn same-sex marriage foes as only she can.

Griffin Said Griffin: "I've got a few questions for those who supported Proposition 8. My question is a very profound one. What the fuck is it to you?...Why are people in this state, when we have so many things on our plate, we have a fiscal disaster going on, why does anyone even wasting their time with this issue? Why does anyone even care if gay people get married?...You would never in a million years go up to a person of color and say 'well, you know I hear that Black people want to get married now. I mean, it's fine if they live together." You would cringe, would you not? 'I hear that Mexicans want to vote! There goes the neighborhood!' Right? It would sound absolutelly silly. And yet, across the state, people are having dinner conversations saying, 'well, do gay people really have the right to get married?' Yes! Domestic union, domestic partnership is not the same."

Griffin then said she was channeling the spirit of Sally Field in Norma Rae, saying her friends call her "Norma Gay," and held up a sign with the word "union" (which Rae worked to organize)scratched out and the word "marriage" written above it. Brilliant.

Watch her almost 10-minute speech, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Her fiery oration and Jay Brannan's beautiful songs together could win this fight for us.

Posted by: MT | Mar 31, 2009 11:01:18 AM

2. Say what you will about Ms Griffin, she is one of the few celebrities who seem to be genuinely involved in the fight for equality. I'm happy to have her on our side. (and Ms Griffin, it's time to change your show to "My Life on the A List" cause you are Blanche, you are)

Posted by: CJ | Mar 31, 2009 11:08:45 AM

3. she truly rocks :-)

Posted by: liz templin | Mar 31, 2009 12:20:26 PM

4. I agree, Kathy. What the fuck is it to Barack Obama?

Posted by: paul c | Mar 31, 2009 12:31:00 PM

5. She loves the gays, and I love her right back. Very smart cookie.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 31, 2009 12:52:34 PM

6. she's funny as hell..i really like her!!

Posted by: drake | Mar 31, 2009 12:54:31 PM

7. Here's a shirt I just bought that pertains to Kathy's great speech.

Posted by: Michael McMurtrey | Mar 31, 2009 2:28:03 PM

8. Paul C, please fucking shut the fuck up. Fuck! There ARE more people in our government than Barack Obama, haven't you heard?

Posted by: Ugh | Mar 31, 2009 3:28:19 PM

9. I've got a few questions for those who oppose Proposition 8. My question is a very profound one. What the fuck is it to you?
    Hope, change, yes we can!

Posted by: Taggart Snyder | Mar 31, 2009 4:09:28 PM

10. Griffin is such a freak of nature...nobody cares what this has been wannabe thinks...every time she opens her mouth she just verifies how really stupid she is....ITS ALL FOR PUBLICITY.....to keep her sorry career going...

Posted by: cheesy potatoes | Mar 31, 2009 4:33:47 PM

11. I support Prop. 8. It doesn't mean I'm a bigot. I have many gay friends and they know that I supported it. It doesn't mean they like it, but they accept the fact that I feel that way.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 31, 2009 4:39:53 PM

12. The answer to Kathy Griffin's question: http://tech.mit.edu/V124/N5/kolasinski.5c.html

Posted by: Paul Rushing | Mar 31, 2009 4:43:45 PM

13. Kathy Griffin, the masculine version of Bill Maher. But she is right, Galiforneeans have a lot more to deal with than gay marriage. Gays already have full legal rights to property transfers, adoption, etc., all the same civil rights as heterosexual married couples. So step off. Find something else to bitch and moan about.

Posted by: Dom Colangelo | Mar 31, 2009 4:44:39 PM

14. Ok JJ, but WHY do you support it? Afraid if you said why that you would actually have to have a discussion instead of holding onto traditions and bigotry?

Posted by: Porcelina | Mar 31, 2009 4:46:37 PM

15. I'll accept that you're not a bigot, JJ, for supporting Prop 8 if you accept that you're an imbecile. Bigotry or stupidity—which is it?

Posted by: Leland Frances | Mar 31, 2009 5:15:23 PM

16. Kathy Griffith had a husband that dumped her (for obvious reasons) so don't expect her to have a high opinion of marriage.

Marriage means a husband and a wife. Nothing else. Gays that insist on having the term "marriage" are only interested in shoving GAY down everyone's throat, not their own rights. Like, everyone HAS TO put their stamp of approval on Gay, or you go to jail.

Gays can have civil unions that have all the legal rights of marriage. If that's not good enough for you, too bad. Because, that's all that will be on the table on this matter. If that.

You can't make us like you, and you certainly can't make us applaud your relationship.

Posted by: Ted | Mar 31, 2009 5:21:09 PM

17. @ TED, et al.: do you realize you sound like a 5-year-old with his toy truck?

Posted by: David R. | Mar 31, 2009 5:32:37 PM

18. WTF? Did Paul C post this story on FreeRepublic?

Posted by: crispy | Mar 31, 2009 5:41:17 PM

19. Crispy, unlike Barack Obama, I'm not against gay marriage or equal rights for all citizens. Nice attempt at a smear though.

Posted by: paul c | Mar 31, 2009 6:25:34 PM

20. @JJ-- I'm having rights withheld from me, and you are worried about being called names. Trade you.
    If you are going to vote for discrimination, have the guts to own up to it.

@Ted- she divorced him for taking money out of her bank accounts. If you can't get her name right, I guess you can't be expected to get the facts right either. But if she were motivated by a bad experience with marriage, why would she advocate for her gay friends to have the same bad experience? Take your post, replace gay with negro, and you have something Gov. Wallace could have said 40 years ago. You are just plain wrong.

Posted by: shesthemimi | Mar 31, 2009 6:28:37 PM

21. ted, kathy dumped her husband because he'd been stealing from her. her opinion of marriage and her own personal marriage has nothing to do with anything anyway - seriously, who actually would make the statement that gays should be able to marry if they had a bad marriage? your logic is flawed.

Posted by: matt | Mar 31, 2009 6:29:59 PM

22. Dear, poor Ted,

You start off by insulting Kathy Griffin for no apparent reason then go on some diatribe about morality..or whatever your point was supposed to be. That's funny. The biggest point that you need to understand, Ted, is that this is in no way about you. No one is trying to turn YOU gay or shove their lifestyle down your throat. That's just silly. It's about civil and equal rights. Your marriage will in no way be less of a marriage if two homosexuals get "married." If it's all about semantics, as you have clearly stated, then what is the real problem? Additionally, you say "you can't make us applaud your relationship." Again, they are not looking for your approval, Ted. Perhaps you should hone your debating skills and come up with some legitimate reasons why gay people should not get married. As far as I can tell, there aren't any.

Posted by: Rampage | Mar 31, 2009 6:31:08 PM

23. Better hurry, Paul. You're gonna be late for the Klan rally.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 31, 2009 7:10:43 PM

24. Exactly Porcelina...Exactly.

People like that never question why they feel they way they do and why it's truly important. If they did they would realize it all comes down to outdated and long held beliefs that no longer have a place in our society.

I'm still pissed at my mother who is sooo fucking afraid of displeasing "God" and going to hell that she still holds onto all her outdated Catholic beliefs even when she can't honestly explain why they matter or what they really mean. It wasn't until I berated her for voting Yes on 8 that she began to feel an ounce of guilt. It just had not occured to her that this was more than a "church" or "God" matter, but that there were people behind this battle who were being really hurt! My mother has never been homophobic in her life and some of her closest friends years ago (when she had a social life) were gay men. She loved them. But this inability to question deeply held beliefs is a very dangerous and stupid trait. Shit, I'm still angry as I write this. How dare she.

Posted by: Marie | Mar 31, 2009 7:18:28 PM

25. I just have to say that I believe in the SANCTITY of marriage between a man and a woman, they are holy vows that should not be shared with gays and lesbians! For example...Britney Spears and her two husbands, Drew Barrymore and her two husbands, Elizabeth Taylor and her 8 husbands, Dennis Hopper and Michelle Phillips, Robin Givens and Mike Tyson (oh she also married her tennis instructor for 5 hours), Cher and Gregg Allman, shall I go on or do you see the fact that only heteros hold wedded bliss as a sacred thing?

Posted by: Alice | Mar 31, 2009 7:28:12 PM