Natural Disasters | Nature | News | North Dakota | Rush Limbaugh

Limbaugh Uses Fargo Floods to Express Anti-Gay Disgust

Limbaugh

As North Dakotans are forced from their homes and struggle with a flooding river, Republican Party leader Rush Limbaugh has other things on his mind.

Said Limbaugh: "I heard some top of the hour news and it made me feel uncomfortable. It's about the flooding in Fargo, North Dakota brought on by the melting snowpack and the icepack. (reading from news item) "As the Red River threatens to overflow, they're filling in the dikes." Isn't there a more appropriate word? Do we have to say, I mean, we don't have any dikes here. The 'dykes' are over there...They're filling in the dikes. Couldn't we change that to 'they're filling in the contingencies' or something?...We really need to change that word."

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Narcissists I've known also have odd religious ideas, in particular believing that they are God's special favorites somehow; God loves them, so they are exempted from ordinary rules and obligations: God loves them and wants them to be the way they are, so they can do anything they feel like -- though, note, the narcissist's God has much harsher rules for everyone else, including you. [Many readers have questions about narcissism and religion. Here is an interesting article on the Web: "Narcissism Goes to Church: Encountering Evangelical Worship" by Monte Wilson. "Modern American Christianity is filled with the spirit of narcissism. We are in love with ourselves and evaluate churches, ministers and truth-claims based upon how they make us feel about ourselves. If the church makes me feel wanted, it is a good church. If the minister makes me feel good about myself, he is a terrific guy. If the proffered truth supports my self-esteem, it is, thereby, verified."]

Posted by: JD | Mar 30, 2009 8:53:05 AM

2. Rush Limbaugh is big fat idiot. Proof indeed of the dumbing down of American discourse. The fact that he has his market is horrifying.

Posted by: Marty | Mar 30, 2009 9:51:22 AM

3. He doesn't have to be smart, just smarter than his audience.

Posted by: anon | Mar 30, 2009 10:04:02 AM

4. Let's replace the word dike with "Drug Addicted Fat Bastard".

Posted by: Wayne | Mar 30, 2009 10:35:05 AM

5. This one really speaks to the intellectual capacity of Rush and his listeners. We should probably change what the words oxen and cotton too so as not to set Rushypoo off on a Rx binge every time he thinks of what he wants for dinner or hits the BIG and tall outlets.

Posted by: Christophe K | Mar 30, 2009 10:37:54 AM

6. There is something seriously wrong with this person. A sick, sick mind.

Posted by: DB | Mar 30, 2009 12:04:32 PM

7. Ok, in all seriousness. If Suze Orman or Rosie O'Donnell or Ellen said that they wish there was a different word, would we be upset? I am NO FAN of Rush, however, I do find the word offensive no matter what context, because of the context in which it is often taken by others. I agree that I wish there was a different word to use - and there are other words.

Posted by: BC | Mar 30, 2009 12:23:57 PM

8. Congratulations Rush, you have managed to make a crisis about you, and remind the world that you are petty. That artery clogged pill popper will do anything for ratings. The sad part of this story is that so many actually listen to his brand of bile.

Posted by: donoso | Mar 30, 2009 12:59:32 PM

9. Weren't a few gay men instrumental in Rush's career very early on?

Posted by: mike shackleford | Mar 30, 2009 1:07:37 PM

10. I think ALL obese drug addicted assholes should be called "Limbaughs".

"See that Limbaugh over there? He just lost his job for getting high in the men's room..."

Posted by: Chuck | Mar 30, 2009 1:23:04 PM

11. Rushie's comments remind me of how some folks (James Dobson or Jerry Falwell, e.g.) refuse to use the word "gay" to describe queer men because we "homosexuals" took a "perfectly normal word and corrupted it" (I believe that was a Jimmy Swaggert comment). Putting aside Rushie's attempt to be "humorous", it does show that this man is long overdue for a swift kick in the teeth. I volunteer.

Posted by: mike | Mar 30, 2009 2:25:44 PM

12. when Rush gets to the pearly gates, he'll be too big to fit through! LOL

Posted by: David B. 2 | Mar 30, 2009 3:08:02 PM

13. What a cocksucker.

Posted by: kevin r. | Mar 30, 2009 3:30:12 PM

14. My god, Andy! You are so easily offended!

By the way, while Limbaugh is an important conservative, he isn't a leader in the Republican Party. Conservative does not equal Republican.

Posted by: David C | Mar 30, 2009 3:54:31 PM

15. But BC, it's not the same word. It's not even a homonym.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 30, 2009 4:05:04 PM

16. OMFG!

Andy, you got the clip from the smear merchants at Media Matters? (I hadn't watched it when I posted my first comment above.)

To all the hateful asshats who've commented here:

LIMBAUGH LIKES TO "ILLUSTRATE ABSURDITY BY BEING ABSURD."

As BC said, "If Suze Orman or Rosie O'Donnell or Ellen said that they wish there was a different word, would we be upset?" BC asked the question knowing the answer was most likely 'no.'

Nowadays the gay left is upset that the word "gay" is used as slang for lame or stupid. This usage is taken as anti-homosexual. The fact that using the word "gay" to mean homosexual is also slang/vernacular is ignored.

It is because of attitude like this that Limbaugh says things like he did in the video.

Now grow up and get a sense of humor, idiots.

Posted by: David C | Mar 30, 2009 4:33:35 PM

17. He's not a "leader" of the Republican Party. Nobody elected him to anything.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Mar 30, 2009 4:51:19 PM

18. It's all a show - simply playing to the lowest common denominator. Rush doesn't believe half of what he says but he knows it puts money in his pocket. Total drug addicted media whore!

Posted by: ChisM | Mar 30, 2009 5:35:22 PM

19. Get lost you dittohead defenders of this baffoon. This isn't funny, and rush is a homophobic sack of shit. Of Rosie or Ellen voiced discontent with the homophone, I'd expect them to be brutally ridiculed, and deservedly. However, THIS is about homophobia, douchewastes. And Rush Limbaugh is the LEADER OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. Republicans don't believe in elections, remember?

Posted by: TANK | Mar 30, 2009 6:17:50 PM

20. Isn't it time God called this fat fuck home already?

Posted by: Hdtex | Mar 30, 2009 10:24:02 PM

21. Wow! heh, I live here, in fargo ND, and I still find myself somewhat in shock that people follow this person and their commentary as if it was important and a vital aspect of any general opinion. I think that there would be much better options...currently people fighting the flood would most likely not express that personal affront in reference to the person possibly standing next to them shovel in hand filling bags or attempting to shore up a leak. I am seriously disappointed at the reference as well as the flippant way a populous radio "show" would have disregard for what is actually going on here.

Posted by: Laurie | Mar 31, 2009 5:21:45 PM