Gay Marriage | Meghan McCain | News | Republican Party

Meghan McCain to Larry King: 'I believe in gay marriage.'

Meghanmccain

Arizona Senator and former presidential candidate John McCain's daughter Meghan appeared on Larry King Live last night and continued to buck the Republican party line on a number of issues, including same-sex marriage. You may remember she appeared on The Rachel Maddow Show last week.

Meghan McCain is proving herself to be the true "maverick" in the family, not her father, who the Log Cabin Republicans endorsed last September "because he’s a maverick; a trait most recently on display with his decision to select Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate."

KING: "All right. You took a lot of heat for a lot of things. Do you -- do you consider yourself a moderate? Are you moderate liberal? Are you..."

MEGHAN MCCAIN: "I consider myself a progressive Republican. I am liberal on social issues. And I think that the party is at a place where social issues shouldn't be the issues that define the party. And I have taken heat, but in fairness to me, I am a different generation than the people that are giving me heat. I'm 24 years old. I'm not in my 40s, I'm not in my 50s and older. And I think there's just such a generation gap, that the people that don't understand me, I actually take it as a compliment, that sort of this new young Republican can come forward and make progress and be successful in the ways that this party has currently failed...

"We have a very big generation gap between me and my father...I was raised in an open-minded home. I was raised a Christian, but I was raised open- minded Christian -- one to accept people, love people, not pass judgment. And that's the kind of place I was raised. It's how I lived my life and my father is great...I believe in gay marriage. I believe in many things socially. I personally am pro-life, but I'm not going to judge someone that's pro-choice. It is not my place to judge other people and what they do with their body."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. so she's.....a democrat. it's gotta be like coming out of the closet for her. baby steps.

Posted by: shane | Mar 24, 2009 7:47:11 AM

2. lol, so who do you think "antithesises" the democratic party, meghan? vocab fail.

Posted by: Blake | Mar 24, 2009 7:53:07 AM

3. If she is is for gay marriage, where the fuck was she during last year's constitutional amendments banning them and coming out against them. Oh wait her cheating second marriage daddy was running for president.

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Mar 24, 2009 7:59:27 AM

4. well, if the repugs have a chance of survival, they need to hitch their wagon to her star, rather than the prety boy's, Schock, star.

Posted by: nic | Mar 24, 2009 8:03:09 AM

5. What would I say to Meghan if I saw her? You're not a Republican. Even as your generation comes to have more influence and numbers in the Republican party, it will not be moderate on social issues anytime soon. This isn't the UK and the Republican Party is not the Tory Party. The Republican power base is in the South and in scattered exurbs and rural areas. They will never accept even a neutral stance on gay marriage, and they will never tolerate any moderation on abortion.
    You're a Democrat, Meghan. It's unlikely the Republican Party will be tolerant on the big social issues anytime soon. And if you stay a Republican even after you see this, you are foolish, aside from the fact that you are casting your lot with gay-haters and fundamentalists.

Posted by: Joel | Mar 24, 2009 8:11:04 AM

6. Well I think the most important thing is her notion of a "generation gap" because it's true. The old, and old-school types, are on the wrong side of history -- and someone like her makes that clear. As well as her simple and true definition of Christianity. Meanwhile the hateful "Christian" wingnuts are twisting themselves into apoplectic knots!

Posted by: StaleCake | Mar 24, 2009 8:13:05 AM

7. Whether she be a Dem or a Republican, I am glad she has finally found her voice [of reason]. It's a shame she wasn't saying these words this time last year though.

Posted by: chasmader | Mar 24, 2009 8:19:33 AM

8. She's much too radical for the Log Cabinettes. She's actually in favor of equaliity!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 24, 2009 8:58:44 AM

9. She's socially a Democrat. Is she economically a Republican? Well, during her recent interview with Rachel Maddow she stated that she doesn't know anything about economics. So what part of her is Republican? Oh, yeah. Her Daddy.

Posted by: Darren | Mar 24, 2009 9:22:26 AM

10. Occasionally someone stands up for what is right. Occasionally they say the right thing and what do we do? We stab them. How dare they say these things! How dare they stand up and say out loud that gay marriage should be ok.

Why do we intend to bring down our straight allies just because they belong to what many feel to be an opposing party? We NEED every ally and yes, there are allies to gays in the republican party. Yes, they are today the minority but not tomorrow. Meghan makes a very important point. She is a younger member of the republican party. She represents most young people today in that they just don't care. However, she is using what little notoriety she has to make a statement and she faces stabs and jabs from those very people that she is trying to help. Shameful to say the least!

Posted by: RB | Mar 24, 2009 9:26:24 AM

11. She misused the word "Antithesis", and she has the most annoying college girl voice. She must go away now.
    Kevin

Posted by: Kevin Montgomery | Mar 24, 2009 9:35:51 AM

12. some people insist on looking a gift horse in the mouth.

Posted by: nic | Mar 24, 2009 9:55:50 AM

13. Yes let us attacker her for supporting gay marriage. How dare she?!

Posted by: Brian | Mar 24, 2009 9:59:26 AM

14. I agree wholeheartedly RB! (Good to hear from you, Bud.) Some people, however, have too much invested in their one sided partisanship to accept the offered assistance of their perceived enemies.

While it is undeniable that Rove used divisive political tactics such as the "threat" of gay marriage to turn out the homophobic base of the Repubs; it is equally undeniable that the Dems are responsible for DADT, DOMA, and the failure of hate crimes and employment equality legislation.

Moreover, it was not the Repubs alone who were responsible for the passage of Prop 8. We will only succeed in achieving equal rights for everyone when we work together to educate minds so as to change hearts. If one's focus remains on irrelevancies such as someone's "college girl voice," then one is merely perpetuating non-productive ad hominem attacks.

RB, You have always risen above the inevitable attacks and remain a man of character and principle, even--nay especially--when we [rarely] disagree. Regarding Meghan McCain, I fully support your opinion.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 24, 2009 10:14:19 AM

15. I think she sounds great and we should be supporting her. So many people on this blog are democrats because the party is more supportive of gay rights. It's stupid to not be supportive of those that favor equal rights no matter what party they belong to.

I could not disagree with JOEL any more. What Meghan is pointing out, and what some in the leadership of the republican party are learning is that social issues (gay rights, abortion, etc) is what is turning people who would traditionally join the republican party off. The GOP got slaughtered in the last 2 elections, and they have lost their grip on the younger generation. If they don't want to have decades of democratic control, they are going to have to find it in themselves to become more liberal on social issues. The GOP's very survival depends on it. The party should look to people like Meghan McCain as it's future voice instead of the Sarah Palins and Laura Ingrahams of the world. They'll get the GOP nowhere.

Posted by: Dan B | Mar 24, 2009 10:17:31 AM

16. Love her.

Posted by: JC | Mar 24, 2009 10:18:31 AM

17. Brian & others: People are not looking a gift horse in the mouth or attacking her for support gay marriage—the reason she's still an asshole is that if you say you're a Republican but also say you believe in gay marriage and in choice, and yet you vote Republican, then it really does not matter what you say you believe. Because your vote is saying "all that social stuff is not as important as the Republican party." Because the Republicans will NOT be for gay marriage or choice or anything else vaguely Democratic for generations to come.

It's just very typical of a rich kid to feel that everyone should not be judged and should just live their lives freely, while at the same time loyally supporting a party that makes it hard if not impossible for that to be a reality—except for people with money, who always get to live their lives freely.

I may agree with her on some issues, and I may be pleased she's bucking her party, but she's still an idiot as long as she says she's a Republican. Partly because all Republicans are idiots and partly because even most idiotic Republicans can express to you what part of the party's platform moves them. All MeMac can do is say she's "fallen in love" with the Republican party, knows zilch about economics and is anti-Republican socially.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Mar 24, 2009 10:18:38 AM

18. Don't attack her for being a Republican. Having someone speak out for gay marriage from inside the Republican party is a lot more helpful for us than someone outside of the Republican party. We will ultimately win this fight for equality not by annihilating the Republican party but by convincing them to support it or at least not to oppose it. Some of that conversion will be the older generation being replaced by the younger; some will be a stark view of their electoral prospects if they keep up the hate; but a lot will be impassioned pleas from people they respect. Meghan McCain is the daughter of the party's nominee, young, attractive, well-spoken and obviously very smart. If she is willing to be our spokesman, we owe her a tremendous debt of gratitude.

Posted by: Pender | Mar 24, 2009 10:39:47 AM

19. For all those who say that she is really a democrat, I guess you need to be reminded that the current leader of the Democratic party (and the nation) opposes gay marriage.

Posted by: dk | Mar 24, 2009 10:39:50 AM

20. jeebus, i'm astounded that we combative queers have reached a consensus of sorts. i gather that we agree that Meghan is the voice of the long-lost republican party. you know, the republicans that believed in equality and respect for human dignity. we liberals welcome any discussion over taxes and spending and fiscal responsibility, but the limbaugh/hannity/o'reilly approach is a no-go. it would behoove the repug dino-relics to follow her lead before they become a footnote in history.

Posted by: nic | Mar 24, 2009 10:45:28 AM

21. She's a Libertarian, and she's apparently more progressive than Obama (remember that man most of you worship in spite of the fact that opposes equal rights for us?).

Posted by: paul c | Mar 24, 2009 10:46:23 AM

22. Stop attacking her. We need to accept all the supporters we have, even if we disagree with them on most other things. I'm a democrat but I'm happy she's out there trying to change the minds of homophobic republicans

Posted by: KFLO | Mar 24, 2009 11:04:18 AM

23. P.S. I believe that Meg McCain is the leader of the GOP! Get it girl!

Posted by: KFLO | Mar 24, 2009 11:05:34 AM

24. ..."because he’s a maverick; a trait most recently on display with his decision to select Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate."

I'm not sure whether she said that, or the LCRs did, but what's so effing (props to Tina Fey) "mavericky" about that? Because she was a woman? PLEASE--tht woman would have set our fight back 20 years. Maverick, indeed.

Posted by: troschne | Mar 24, 2009 11:06:22 AM

25. Why do Rudy & RB think it's "taking jabs" at her to say she's only a Republican because of Daddy? We like what she's saying, and we like that she gets a forum to say it in. We just don't believe the party will embrace her.

Oh, and those lies about DOMA and DADT are getting so old, guys. Please go back and look at Barney Frank's video. He was there and he sets the record straight about who was really responsible for those.

Meghan, you go girl! We'll be happy to have you in the party when the Repubs kick you to the curb! She's a Jim Jeffords kind of Republican. The good kind.

Posted by: Kevinvt | Mar 24, 2009 11:37:38 AM