Gay Marriage | Meghan McCain | News | Republican Party

BigGayDeal.com

Meghan McCain to Larry King: 'I believe in gay marriage.'

Meghanmccain

Arizona Senator and former presidential candidate John McCain's daughter Meghan appeared on Larry King Live last night and continued to buck the Republican party line on a number of issues, including same-sex marriage. You may remember she appeared on The Rachel Maddow Show last week.

Meghan McCain is proving herself to be the true "maverick" in the family, not her father, who the Log Cabin Republicans endorsed last September "because he’s a maverick; a trait most recently on display with his decision to select Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate."

KING: "All right. You took a lot of heat for a lot of things. Do you -- do you consider yourself a moderate? Are you moderate liberal? Are you..."

MEGHAN MCCAIN: "I consider myself a progressive Republican. I am liberal on social issues. And I think that the party is at a place where social issues shouldn't be the issues that define the party. And I have taken heat, but in fairness to me, I am a different generation than the people that are giving me heat. I'm 24 years old. I'm not in my 40s, I'm not in my 50s and older. And I think there's just such a generation gap, that the people that don't understand me, I actually take it as a compliment, that sort of this new young Republican can come forward and make progress and be successful in the ways that this party has currently failed...

"We have a very big generation gap between me and my father...I was raised in an open-minded home. I was raised a Christian, but I was raised open- minded Christian -- one to accept people, love people, not pass judgment. And that's the kind of place I was raised. It's how I lived my life and my father is great...I believe in gay marriage. I believe in many things socially. I personally am pro-life, but I'm not going to judge someone that's pro-choice. It is not my place to judge other people and what they do with their body."

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I like her, hope we hear more from her in the future.

Posted by: dm | Mar 24, 2009 11:45:48 AM

2. The GOP leadership should be listening to her instead of the blowhards who want to keep on with business as usual. She's one of the few Republicans who actually have ideas for the future. They won't, though, because they're so scared of abortion and gays and the party will continue to loose young voters.

Posted by: sam | Mar 24, 2009 11:51:54 AM

3. You know, if there were even a small minority third party for people like her, it would be pretty awesome. The kind of party that the other two parties would court for different reasons, who would side with the Dems for the most part on social issues, and who would side with the Reps for the most part on economic issues, and like the growing numbers of independent voters, would be the real measure of national consensus. Hmmm.

Posted by: clint | Mar 24, 2009 12:15:06 PM

4. If she supports gay marriage, she would be bucking the _Democratic_ party line.

Posted by: DaveO | Mar 24, 2009 12:33:48 PM

5. ``...it is equally undeniable that the Dems are responsible for DADT, DOMA, and the failure of hate crimes and employment equality legislation.``

RUDY, on the contrary, the fact is that virtually 1OO% of opposition to those bills came from Democrats.
    The Dems were split on DOMA and DADT, for example. Some Dems, including Clinton, argued against them but, to their discredit, gave in to the ``losing battle.``
    Unlike the Dems, there was no split amongst the Republicans. Check out the votes on ANY of those issues.
    Yes, the significant (but not quite majority} fraction of Dems who were for equality should have fought harder, but they were up against hugely lopsided votes among the Republicans whose members in the House and Senate were in some cases voting more than 99% anti gay.

Posted by: GregV | Mar 24, 2009 1:00:50 PM

6. Megan will not be a Republican much longer, she has too much common sense and compassion. I suspect she is testing the water within the party to see just how deep she will be allowed to wade. Unfortunately for Megan, the south and the right wing Baptist brigade will not tolerate her sinners soapbox very long, and will drown her. Make no mistake about this, there's a important message coming from Megan, she is uncomfortable with gay prejudice in in this country and has decided to make a stand. More power to you young lady, you have the stage, tell your story, people will listen.....

Posted by: Troy | Mar 24, 2009 1:06:53 PM

7. Stay a Republican young lady! Change the party from within! Maybe you can get them to actually be what they say they are.

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 24, 2009 1:09:35 PM

8. Well I for one think it would be wonderful to have a pro-GLBT Democratic Party and a pro-GLBT Republican Party.

I find Meghan McCain so refreshing as a new progressive voice for the Republican Party in this age of Obama. She's been given a lot of press coverage because she is the daughter of who was only months ago the leader of the Republican Party.

Posted by: Gypsy | Mar 24, 2009 7:33:22 PM

9. "if you say you're a Republican but also say you believe in gay marriage and in choice, and yet you vote Republican, then it really does not matter what you say you believe"

Precisely.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 25, 2009 12:16:12 AM

10. @DEREK W,

i agree. she, singularly, is probably doing more to change the repugs to repubs than the log cabinettes could ever do. the repubs, the party of lincoln, need to get back to their roots. i much prefer to argue fiscal policy with them than getting down and dirty in the trenches of moral warfare.

i will never understand why anybody gives a rat's ass about whose dick is going into which hole.

Posted by: nic | Mar 25, 2009 10:47:33 AM

11. Gregy, How did anything you wrote rebut my conclusions that the Dems were responsible for DADT, DOMA and the failure of ENDA? Logic, dear child, not partisan loyalty is required. You are no different than the Repub base that refuses to listen to anything that challenges their orthodoxy, Meghan McCain included.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 25, 2009 11:20:49 AM

12. RUDY,

your logic does not transcend 2009 to 1993. to hang these (DADT and DOMA, etc) on the necks of democrats like an albatross is overly simplistic.

the dems have for decades been in the forefront of equality. to diminish them is to diminish you.

Posted by: nic | Mar 25, 2009 12:21:50 PM