Ang Lee | Demetri Martin | Elliot Tiber | Emile Hirsch | Film | New York | News

New Trailer for Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock

Ang1

A trailer has arrived for Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock, the adaptation of the memoir Taking Woodstock: A True Story of a Riot, a Concert, and a Life by Elliot Tiber, with Tom Monte.

Ang3 Taking Woodstock tells the story of Tiber, the gay man who helped facilitate Woodstock, providing the permit that made the Festival possible, as well as the eventual location on his milkman Max Yasgur's farm.

The film stars Demetri Martin as Tiber, Imelda Staunton and Henry Goodman  play Tiber's parents, Jonathan Groff plays Woodstock organizer Michael Lang; Emile Hirsch plays a recently returned Vietnam vet, Eugene Levy plays Yasgur, and Liev Schreiber plays a transvestite named Vilma. Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays a closeted married man having an affair with Tiber, and Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan play a hippie couple attending the concert.

Emile Hirsch talked about the mudslide scene (below) last year, to EW: "The mud's pretty cold. It's later in the year than it was during Woodstock. We were all shivering, and we had these silver-foil space blankets that miraculously keep you really warm...I did a Superman slide down a hill, and started turning on my back. I was covered in mud. I think there was pig crap mixed in, because we all smelled like crap."

Check out the trailer AFTER THE JUMP, which Demitri Martin introduces in his trademark drawing style...

Previously...
Emile Hirsch on His Piggy Woodstock Experience [tr]
First Look: Ang Lee's Taking Woodstock [tr]
Demetri Martin to Star in Ang Lee Film About Gay Woodstock Figure [tr]

Ang2

Comments

1. could i be more excited.

Posted by: brad | Mar 26, 2009 12:03:43 PM

2. looks fun

Posted by: KFLO | Mar 26, 2009 12:30:51 PM

3. Can't stand the oh so cool demetri martin's self satisfied, "clever" zany comedy. His jokes start with potential, but die a slow, torturous death of in joke faux condescension and the worst elements of embarrassingly self aware hipster overreaching. BORING!

Posted by: TANK | Mar 26, 2009 12:42:28 PM

4. Woodstock lives! Online radio channels RADIO WOODSTOCK which features music from the original Woodstock era to today and RADIO WOODSTOCK 69 with exclusively music from the original Woodstock era are both available at: www.radiowoodstock.com. We’re based at Utopia Studios in Woodstock. It’s Woodstock to the world. Peace, love, music.

Posted by: RFWoodstock | Mar 26, 2009 1:22:33 PM

5. I know Liev Schreiber has played everything from Hamlet on stage to the nemesis in the upcoming Wolverine flick. Still, the first time I ever saw him was in Mixed Nuts, IMO an underrated flick filled with funny performances & an annual Xmas viewer at my house. Schreiber's tango with Steve Martin always makes me laugh & is forever etched in memory.

I'm looking forward to this flick, good cast & I've liked Ang Lee since Eat Drink Man Woman.

Posted by: hank h | Mar 26, 2009 1:25:41 PM

6. Ang Lee is a gifted director. I look forward to seeing this film. Looks fun.

Posted by: Rebirth | Mar 29, 2009 12:07:53 PM

7. In his interview with us broadcast last Thursday, Sept. 3, Ang Lee says: "Maybe I'm gay." James Schamus, Demetri Martin and Liev Schreiber also comment on queer content in "Taking Woodstock."
    Check it out on our archives page: www.OutInTheBay.com

Posted by: Eric Jansen | Sep 8, 2009 7:23:00 PM