AIDS/HIV | Andy Warhol | Brazil | California | Discrimination | Gay Games | Gay Marriage | George Clooney | Hotels | Justin Timberlake | Lawrence King | Minnesota | New York | News | Provincetown | Reality TV | San Francisco | Toronto | Washington DC

News: Natasha Richardson, Subway Hero, AIDS, Cape Cod, iPhone 3.0

roadMinnesota Family Council warns world will end if gays are allowed to marry. Muslim Community Center director: "If everyone is a gay, this world will cease to exist in 10 years."

Natasha  roadEW makes last-minute cover switch. Family vigil at bedside in New York as Natasha Richardson condition fails to improve...UPDATE: Richardson off life support.

roadPoor George Clooney doesn't have a heated toilet seat to sit on while he does his business in Chad.

roadA woman was pierced by an arrow in NYC.

roadMerriam Webster redefines marriage.

roadBoston, Washington, or Cleveland to get 2014 Gay Games.

roadMarc Jacobs to host party at "trashy" gay Brazilian nightclub.

roadD.C. AIDS rate hits 3%.

roadSearch for solution to AIDS vaccine takes new turn: " Back at square one, a group of researchers at Rockefeller University in New York City have some new ideas — and no shortage of optimism — about how to find the holy grail of AIDS research. Their approach to vaccine development is to abandon the as yet fruitless search for a magic bullet — which zeros in on just a single target to halt the virus — and instead try to mimic the body's natural, if rare and more diffuse, defense against the virus"

roadMeet The Real Housewives of New Jersey.

Warhol

roadNew Warhol exhibit opens at the newly remodeled Grand Palais in Paris.

roadJudge orders case of Lawrence King's teen killer to move forward.

roadCitations for public sex acts in Cape Cod dunes drop in 2008: "The drop in tickets is due to a public education campaign waged by Seashore staff and a shortage of rangers, a park official said. Federal rangers gave out 49 disorderly conduct citations last summer in the Seashore's northern district. That's down from at least a two-decade high of 132 citations issued in the summer before, federal records indicated. The Seashore's 44,000 acres are divided into two districts. The northern territory covers part of Provincetown and Truro, with about 20 miles of coastline."

roadJustin Timberlake to launch his own brand of tequila.

Humpback  roadFirst-ever humpback whale spotted in waters of Hong Kong.

roadToronto University Ryerson sees spike in hate crimes.

roadGay hotel chain Axel follows up hotels in Buenos Aires and Barcelona with one in Berlin.

roadGizmodo's Guide to iPhone 3.0.

roadBirds of a feather...

roadSF: The Rise and Fall of a Polk Street Hustler. "I came to San Francisco because I wanted to be an artist. When I first got here, there were a lot more people. We used to play guitars and drink beers or smoke a joint and just hang out and stay out of trouble. I've been trying to protect my little self and my little brother and I'm about 500 homicides behind and I don't know how to bump and grind to pick up the little morsels and the pieces of the people I liked and loved the way I used to know how to. So I just keep on."

roadDave Annable loses his shorts.

Lindsey  roadNYC's selfless subway hero/actor plays for our team according to an "imdb user who did some theatre stuff with him a number of years ago."

roadOnly openly gay member of Brazil's legislature dies: "The Victory Fund has learned that Clodovil Hernandes, the openly gay member of Brazil’s Chamber of Deputies, has died. He was the only openly gay elected official in the country. Hernandes was admitted to a Brasilia hospital yesterday after suffering a stroke. Known for his colorful career as a fashion designer and television gossip show host, Hernandes represented Sao Paolo in the country’s national legislature."

roadNewport Beach, California police officer receives $1.2 million in damages after suing department for anti-gay harassment and refusal of promotion over sexuality: "Neil Harvey, a 27-year department veteran, alleged that he was passed over for lieutenant despite having more experience and formal education than other candidates and that former Police Chief Bob McDonell never promoted anyone perceived to be gay. Harvey's attorney, Jack Girardi, said he and his client were pleased that the jury believed Harvey was mistreated. Girardi said Harvey was looking forward to returning to his job today."

Comments

1. Who is this Chad? And why is George Clooney in him, and not in me?

Posted by: crispy | Mar 18, 2009 2:42:59 PM

2. Chad can play on my team anytime he wants. jeebus, those eyes and those lips....

Posted by: nic | Mar 18, 2009 3:01:05 PM

3. "Lyne Lortie, a spokeswoman for the Mont Tremblant ski resort in the Laurentian Hills north of Montreal, said Ms. Richardson had fallen during a beginner’s lesson. She was not wearing a helmet at the time, she said."

Natasha Richardson' story breaks my heart.

Posted by: CJ | Mar 18, 2009 3:20:56 PM

4. It should read "Toronto's Ryerson University" for the hate-crime story, not "University Ryerson."

Posted by: Andre | Mar 18, 2009 3:21:25 PM

5. I am really saddened about Natasha Richardson.

Posted by: Marco | Mar 18, 2009 3:23:10 PM

6. Liz Smith just reported that Richardson was taken off life support. A sad day for the world of acting.

Posted by: jeffreychrist | Mar 18, 2009 3:44:15 PM

7. the sad thing about the natasha incident is that there was nothing she nor anyone could do about it, after the fact. really, who could have predicted that learning to ski on the bunny slope would be fatal?

Posted by: nic | Mar 18, 2009 3:48:30 PM

8. Thank you for exercising restraint on the Natasha Richardson story. I've been disgusted and angered by the tacky and tasteless rush-to-cover that Time Out NY and Perez Hilton engaged in. I kept checking but I knew that when you weighed in, it could be with class and restraint.

Posted by: Jeff NYC | Mar 18, 2009 3:51:01 PM

9. yay for gay superheroes!

Posted by: b mac | Mar 18, 2009 3:57:12 PM

10. RE: George Clooney. I don't believe he was "bitching", Clooney is very humble, if anything he was making light of it in his video.

Posted by: CJ | Mar 18, 2009 4:11:30 PM

11. Let me also add how sad I am about Natasha. And also add that Perez Hilton is a pile of shit.

I wish people would not link to his site and not visit it. He's a leech.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Mar 18, 2009 4:21:02 PM

12. @ Jeff NYC

You're disgusted and angered that Perez Hilton is "tacky and tasteless"?

Isn't that kind of like being angry because the sky is blue?

I have a simple solution - don't look at Perez Hilton's shit. I never visit his site, and by and large his particular brand of crap never enters my field of vision.

Posted by: Gregus | Mar 18, 2009 4:32:59 PM

13. I am incredibly saddened by Natasha Richardson's passing. She was a class act and an active member of the New York City theater community. She will be missed.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 18, 2009 5:15:03 PM

14. Alex... Natasha Richardson isn't dead. She's in critical condition at a hospital in NY.

Posted by: Brendan Davis | Mar 18, 2009 5:21:57 PM

15. I am incredibly unmoved by NR's passing.

Dan Savage used the demographic of the 3% (disproportionately black male) to rehash homophobia in the black community. What are we gonna do about that? Well, I for one will never have sex in DC. Icky.

Posted by: TANK | Mar 18, 2009 5:27:57 PM

16. For those following the Lawrence King case, the teen killer's father was found dead in his home this morning.

Posted by: RP | Mar 18, 2009 5:28:17 PM

17. Brendan, thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that she would soon die off of life support (based on the way the Liz Smith item was worded). I hope she pulls through, but it doesn't look likely from what I've read.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 18, 2009 5:35:51 PM

18. Yeah, all signs point to her passing. I just don't like talking about somebody dying until they've already died.

Plus, it has been difficult to decide exactly what her status is, because news companies have had it wrong since the moment she got into the accident.

Posted by: Brendan Davis | Mar 18, 2009 5:42:53 PM

19. Was the nightclub in Brazil trashy before Marc Jacobs got there?

Posted by: ChristopherM | Mar 18, 2009 7:23:31 PM

20. For what it is worth, both Natasha Richardson's late father, Tony Richardson, who died of AIDS in 1993, and her late grandfather, Michael Redgrave, were gay. By way of morbid coincidence, I happen to share her exact same birthday. Her sudden death under such seemingly benign circumstances is both shocking and sad. And yes, she was an excellent actress.

Posted by: Rick | Mar 18, 2009 10:40:11 PM

21. Marc Jacobs "slumming" in a really poor nation is really tacky. I wonder if the regular "trashy" patrons will even be allowed in that night.

"...and Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned."

Posted by: Derek Washington | Mar 18, 2009 11:50:39 PM

22. The loss of Natasha Richardson is not just a loss to the theatre community, but to our community as well. She was a class act all the way, warm, friendly and always willing to add her name and time to help. I was always impressed that at events she "chaired" she took the time to meet the people that actually put on the event. It pleased me that the first picture in the NYT slide show of her was at an AmFar event. She will be missed.

Posted by: dbaudit | Mar 19, 2009 1:35:32 AM

23. Re Chad Lindsey:
    I don't know why you're relying on what an anonymous "imdb user who did some theatre stuff with him a number of years ago" says when Director Christopher Gotschall reveals in the commentary track for the short film Caught that Chad used to date his Caught costar Benjamin Sprunger. Stick with a named source when you can.

Posted by: Steven Stanley | Mar 19, 2009 4:46:29 AM