News | Paul Rudd

Paul Rudd: 'I Love Gay Guys. I Feel Pretty Gay.'

Rudd

Paul Rudd talked to EW a little bit about himself:

"I always thought I'd be a really good gay guy. I love American Idol. I watch Antiques Roadshow like crazy. Guys like Oscar Wilde, Stephen Fry, Elton John — they're all very bright, with a razor-sharp wit. David Sedaris — who's funnier than David Sedaris? The Saturday Night Live that I hosted was such a gay-heavy show. But it didn't even cross my mind until after. The family that kept kissing each other — I didn't even think of that as being gay...I remember doing interviews for The Object of My Affection, and people would say, 'What was it like to kiss a guy?' Like it was such a shocking thing. I said, 'How many times does anyone ask, 'You had to shoot somebody. Was that weird?'' I love gay guys. I feel pretty gay. I'm certainly not the most macho guy in the room."

Rudd's bromance I Love You, Man, made $18 million over the weekend to come in second place after the Sci-Fi thriller Knowing.

Comments

1. Has that man ever taken a bad picture?

Posted by: davefromtampa | Mar 23, 2009 10:26:10 AM

2. UGH...HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO GO OVER THIS...GAY DOES NOT = FEMININE!!!

There are macho gay guys, masculine gay guys, gay guys who DON'T like american idol, antique roadshow, or dress up in funny wigs and wear diamonds on each finger.

COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Ron | Mar 23, 2009 10:38:18 AM

3. Seeing Paul Rudd several times in an Orientalesque production of "Twelfth Night" at Lincoln Center remains one of the highlights of my theatre-going life. One night he even doffed the tiny speedo he was wearing to dive naked into the pool onstage, eliciting loud murmurs of approval.

What a talented actor, a beautiful body, and a funny and humble man. Would that he were gay en factum rather than just en espiritu.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 23, 2009 10:40:20 AM

4. And the gays love Paul Rudd...oh yes, they do...

Posted by: Ugh | Mar 23, 2009 10:40:54 AM

5. "UGH...HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO GO OVER THIS...GAY DOES NOT = FEMININE!!!"

That's true, RON...but for centuries the feminine gay male dominated the image of the EXCLUSIVE homosexual (in other cultures as well as Western culure. As more and more of you macho homos(I'm being mean)... as more of you "traditionally masculine" gays come out of the closet--people will undertand that most gay men act "normal" (Oh, God, I'm getting nauseous).

We need more John Amechi type guys to come out to show diversity 'cause we Rupaul types aint going to disappear. All the gay-bashing in the world can't get rid of us (SNAP!)

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 23, 2009 10:52:19 AM

6. Like many people Rudd is confusing being gay and being honest with yourself. Rudd is straight yet he is honest with himself and enjoys things that don't meet the societal standards of what the masculine male is suppose to like. It doesn't mean he likes gay stuff, it means he doesn't care what others think he likes what he likes.

It is just gays tend to be the obvious example. Those that are "out there" live lives honestly and how they want to. Unfortunately people see that and confuse it with being gay.

If you are masculine and like masculine things that is great, as long as you are living your life honestly and not just doing masculine things because that is what society wants.

Personally I am a mix, as I think many men (gay and straight) are if they are honest with themselves.

Posted by: kujhawker | Mar 23, 2009 11:12:12 AM

7. I think he's just outlining HOW he'd be gay, not that he's an emblem of everything gay. He's just about everyone's fav str8 guy at this point.

Posted by: anon | Mar 23, 2009 11:54:12 AM

8. Paul if you want to feel REALLY GAY, give me a ring!

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Mar 23, 2009 11:54:41 AM

9. To Ron: Yes, not all gay men are feminine but you shouldn't be hating on those who are. Also, get a sense of humor. I don't like any of those things Rudd described but I found it funny.

Posted by: scar2 | Mar 23, 2009 11:54:59 AM

10. LOL

derrick

speaking of Ru Paul

Be sure to watch tonight's Drag Race. I think the top 2 will be Nina and Bebe with pretty but boring as all hell Rebecca getting squat didly

Posted by: jimmyboy | Mar 23, 2009 11:55:55 AM

11. It's sad American Idol=gay these days.

I preferred it when listening to Maria Callas and loving Joan Crawford movies was the stereotype (not that I am old enough to know ... the Golden Age of gay culture was before my time).

He's cute and all, but his choice of films lately has really lowered my opinion of him.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 23, 2009 11:56:19 AM

12. Please! The man is adorable and if that what he thinks it takes to be a gay man, who are we to argue? I personally love all those things but hate Judy Garland, Maria Callas and Joan Crawford movies, and I AM old enough to remember the golden age of gay culture, STILL living in it, thank you. My faves were William Holden and Audrey Hepburn, and still love Doo Wop music. But what makes a person gay? Not their choices in any of this, but who we decide to place our affections upon at the end of the day. In this day of great liberation, I am glad that I am NOT young. I never felt oppressed. I just live each day to the fullest, happy to be alive

Posted by: MDtopdad | Mar 23, 2009 12:17:05 PM

13. "... the Golden Age of gay culture was before my time)."

Then let's bring it back, ALEX! We're still big!...it's the culture that grew small.

Tell me something...when you listened to Callas, did ya' get up in the mirror and do an impersonation? And don't forget the blanket wraped around one bare shoulder. Aida, honey.

Well, you take Callas, I'll be Leontyne Price...now, if that don't sound like two little nine year old gay boys playing make-believe in 1967...

So, today is gender role war day. I'm ready.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Mar 23, 2009 12:32:03 PM

14. Well I have felt totally oppressed, but not by Paul Rudd. He's a straight guy who was just making an equation from where he stands. Why must we dissect it ad nauseum? I assure you Paul knows we don't all adore antiques roadshow. Which begs the question: Do we know they all don't guzzle beer and scratch themselves at the dinner table? I wonder.

Would that we had more straight men who don't have to tell us how icky it was to kiss a guy onscreen, like Robert Pattison who had to tell us just last week about his paroxysms of disgust over his sex scenes in "Little Ashes" and then be completely conitradicted by his co-star. Pattison's a guy I feel embarrassed for, and by, not Rudd.

Posted by: Sean | Mar 23, 2009 12:40:03 PM

15. Derrick, My dad is a big opera queen. I grew up listening to Leontyne, Maria, Joan, Beverly, you name it! I also had a great intro to stuff like Billie Holiday, Judy Garland, the early Barbra Streisand albums, Bette Midler's great period (aka pre-Rose) . . . and all those wonderful cast albums he had.

Of course by the time I got to college, all the gay boys my age had no idea what the hell I was talking about. They all wanted to do some drugs and go to a club. Sigh. I've always been culturally out of step in one way or another--too retro, too indie, too experimental . . . but other than my career long love of Madonna, never quite in step with my peers.

I still think American Idol is awful, devoid of any style or taste and it's sad that it's associated with the gays. Many of those kids can sing loudly, but none of them can phrase a song as well as many of the great vocalists of the 20th century.

Posted by: Alex | Mar 23, 2009 12:46:56 PM

16. In the context of American homophobic society, Rudd's comments are very welcome - he is on our side.

I too, took issue with the "not the most macho guy in the room" comment, as it is stereotyping. But let's get the rest of the country up to speed first on the Basic Message that "Gay = OK". Then, when they've got over that, we can deal with the Advanced Sexuality Studies Message of "gay does not always equal nelly (but it sometimes does and that's OK too)".

Posted by: Lubin Odana | Mar 23, 2009 1:50:01 PM

17. love this kid.

Posted by: David T | Mar 23, 2009 2:22:58 PM

18. Let's see some Rudd pudd.

Posted by: Bruno | Mar 23, 2009 5:17:40 PM

19. Would a homophobic or stereotype-clenching actor take a gay role? - Especially 10+ years ago when it wasn't "Cool" or "Daring" to do so? Cut the guy some slack. He's clearly on our side. He name checked Stephen Fry for fuck's sake.

Posted by: Harrison | Mar 23, 2009 9:52:15 PM

20. and he reads david sedaris, HARRISON.

Posted by: nic | Mar 24, 2009 4:28:18 AM

21. Just so we're clear... I meant "on our side" like "an ally of the gay community," not "secretly gay and just putting on a front." I just think he's always demonstrated gay-friendliness even when it wasn't hip to do so, and all the critique and overanalysis is borderline ridiculous...

Posted by: Harrison | Mar 24, 2009 5:08:13 PM

22. dis mofcuka is gay

Posted by: Jeffrey | Aug 7, 2010 7:34:53 PM

23. I don't care if he's gay or not....he makes me laugh and he can leave his shoes under my bed (or kitchen table, or sofa, or anywhere)...I would love to have him as a friend!

Posted by: Sue | Dec 12, 2010 11:46:36 PM