Music | News | Rascal Flatts

Rascal Flatts Reaching Out to Gay Fans with New Track?

Rascalflatts

Gary LeVox, Jay DeMarcus, and Joe Don Rooney, the trio who make up the country pop band Rascal Flatts, released a new single today called "Love Who You Love" which some of their fans are interpreting as an anthem of acceptance and love for their gay fans because of its non-gender-specific lyrics. The band is welcoming that interpretation.

LeVox tells CMT: "We actually have some gay people that work with us, and we have a lot of friends that are gay, too, and I know that this song has inspired them. I know that coming out was tough on their parents and on them and the whole entire family. For a long time, some of them didn’t get to hear ‘I love you’ from their dads or be accepted in that way. It’s helped a lot of our friends."

Guitarist Rooney adds: “That’s what’s cool about our music. You can interpret (it like) that. If you get that — it’s perfect. If you are someone who’s gay or someone who’s straight, you still feel something from the song, and that’s what we want.”

Said DeMarcus, who plays bass: “We don’t judge anybody’s lives."

Listen to the track (YouTube while it lasts), AFTER THE JUMP...

"Love Who You Love" Rascal Flatts - Love Who You Love - Single

Comments

1. Don't you think that this is like saying "whatever"?

Besides the song is way out of what I like anyway...

Posted by: ioni | Mar 24, 2009 9:15:49 AM

2. We were friends with a country radio DJ years ago, and he shared his small list of those in country music who were gay, and Joe Don (the blond-haired one) was one of them. But then he got married a few years ago to some Playboy model, so take it for what its worth.

Posted by: Chris in Kansas | Mar 24, 2009 10:09:08 AM

3. Well they sure LOOK Gay

Posted by: d | Mar 24, 2009 10:43:10 AM

4. “We don’t judge anybody’s lives."

Wow--how enlightened of you, in a red-necky kind of way. Thanks for the validation. I don't know how I would have gotten through the day without that.

I personally couldn't give two craps about anything they write or opine about. I hate country music.

And before someone decides to flame me--if you think for a minute Billy Bob in Bugtussle is going to have some kind of epiphany over this song, and suddenly "get it", you're sadly delusional.

Posted by: troschne | Mar 24, 2009 10:57:31 AM

5. Why are you people attacking them for being in support of the gay community? You're just as bad as the homophobes who say "you support gays? then YOU must be gay!" Seriously, give it a rest!

Posted by: KFLO | Mar 24, 2009 10:59:24 AM

6. I am not a fan of country music, but my husband is and from my understanding these guys are kind of a big deal in the business and I appreciate them making a positive statement about our community. I have read and heard plenty of hate from other country artist so yeah it is kind of a big deal that these guys have stepped forward and said something kind of positive. It will keep me from wishing that they would perish in a firey plane crash unlike some of the other "artist" out there...not that I do that, I'm just sayin'

Posted by: jzn | Mar 24, 2009 11:33:54 AM

7. Good God, some of you fags are insufferable. "I don't like country music, so why should I care?!?!"

Unfortunately, you don't realize that no one likes you, so, equally - why should we fucking care what you like or don't like? Douche asshats.

Posted by: Ugh | Mar 24, 2009 11:36:52 AM

8. Yeah, I don't get why people get so snarky whenever someone outside of the gay community says something kinda, sorta, nice or supporting of gays...it's like only gay people can validly say nice things about other gay people?

I think it's nice what Rascal Flats said even though I don't like country music.

And even if "Billy Bob" doesn't "get it", even if ONE person "gets it" (or even stops to thing about it) then it was worth it!

Posted by: farrellcsun | Mar 24, 2009 11:44:33 AM

9. Very well said UGH

Posted by: D.R.H. | Mar 24, 2009 11:58:50 AM

10. This is a different generation of country musicians, not aging boomers clinging to agonistic (conflict-friendly) worldviews and singing about them. While I don't feel this song was written about us, I really do think Rascal Flatts' embracing of this interpretation is genuine, simply because people of their generation and younger support gay people and gay rights by vast majorities.
    As an aside, while I am a classical musician, I can enjoy country music that is firmly rooted in its Scotch-Irish roots, and in places like where I live, country music fans (or at least sympathizers) are so universal that they neither hate nor support us more than anyone else. And the local gay country bar is a far more relaxing place to have a beer and socialize than the glitter queen club kid bar down the hall.

Posted by: clint | Mar 24, 2009 12:00:04 PM

11. Re: in terms of big deal, if Im not mistaken, aren't they currently the number one band too? (country or not)

Posted by: Vance | Mar 24, 2009 12:01:52 PM

12. Sorry, but Rascal Flats ARE a big deal -- there have literally millions of fans and what they say/do can and does have an impact on a large population that has not had the greatest track record for inclusivity. I'm amazed when I see such ignorant comments on here that would waste time and space to criticize these guys for making an effort. Shame on you, you bunch of ivory-tower jerks.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 24, 2009 12:08:04 PM

13. I have always loved Rascal Flatts. I have been to several of their concerts and they are good entertainers. They are always so nice and I had heard they had some roadies that were gay and this goes to show they have love and respect for ALL their fans.

Posted by: Cody Alldredge | Mar 24, 2009 12:30:47 PM

14. Oh my god! Will the bitter old queens shut the fuck up already? You were even remotely insulted by this? Or even moved enough to say something negative about this post? Really? Go hide under a rock, because you just might fall apart if a bunny rabbit gives you a bit of side eye. What the hell does it matter if you like country music or not? One of the best selling music acts in the country made a statement that they stand by our sides, and you are critical? If you're waiting for every straight guy to get on his knees and suck cock, you're going to be waiting for a while. Hopefully you hold your breath.

On a positive note, Kudos to Rascal Flats for their comments. In particular, when they say, "I know that coming out was tough on their parents and on them and the whole entire family. For a long time, some of them didn’t get to hear ‘I love you’ from their dads or be accepted in that way," they seem to actually sympathize with the experience a lot of LGBT folks go through, and they seem to be sincere.

Posted by: Jon B | Mar 24, 2009 12:34:15 PM

15. i don't much care for country music, but i care even less for TROSCHNE's statement. what an asshole. why would someone reject support from any source? pure nonsense.

Posted by: nic | Mar 24, 2009 12:41:13 PM

16. I enjoy country music. Teddy Thompson is by far my favorite folk singer. While I don't think the Rascal Flats are addressing their gay fans in this song, they are doing so in their response, for that I'm thankful. Despite some of the comments, whether someone have had a change of heart about us, or is a long time friend. We should always be open and accepting of them. We are only human and we all make our share of mistakes.

Posted by: Rafael | Mar 24, 2009 12:47:30 PM

17. “We don’t judge anybody’s lives."

Philosophically I have a similar reaction to Troschne's, but I'm gonna give this one an A for effort.

Posted by: Sportin' Life | Mar 24, 2009 1:30:18 PM

18. It's nice for us rural gays who love country music! Nashville is, in general, a very conservative and homophobic place... remember how much grief the Dixie Chicks took a few years ago? Even folks like Reba Mc felt comfortable bashing them in public.

But they held their own. And people like Faith Hill and Clint Black have spoken out. Now Rascal Flatts? Wonderful!

It's also nice for ALL gays, as country music is big business in America. In large swaths of this country, the only radio options are conservative talk and the country station. If a positive message is coming out of the radio, it can only be a good thing.

Posted by: pacnwjay | Mar 24, 2009 1:34:37 PM

19. They ARE NOT country...and any time they are played on country stations I listen to, I turn it down until they are off....They are POP if anything...and I think they stink!!!

Posted by: Bob | Mar 24, 2009 4:35:21 PM

20. I posted an apology for dissing country music earlier, but apparently,it didn't clear the filter--whatever. I still stand by my original post, sans the comment about country music--it's nice that they support "us", but I don't really see it doing a lot to change people's minds.

On another note--to all of you who felt free to call me names, including a douche asshat, old queen (I'm sure I'm probably younger than a lot of you!), etc.--show a little class. One of the best parts of this blog is that people can have opinions without personally attacking each other. Ugh--you just made a similar comment on another thread, but you're one of the posters who felt the need to malign me. Can't have it both ways, pal.

Posted by: troschne | Mar 25, 2009 11:09:15 AM

21. I'm not particularly a fan of country music either, but how can it possibly be a bad thing when any artist who is popular and influential with a lot of people makes a positive statement like this?

Posted by: craigbear | Mar 28, 2009 2:11:18 PM