News | Relationships | Spencer Duhm | Todd Herzog

BigGayDeal.com

Survivor Winner Todd Herzog Dating Tocantins' Spencer Duhm?

Survivors

AfterElton reports that current Survivor: Tocantins contestant Spencer Duhm is dating Survivor: China winner Todd Herzog. Herzog tells AE what makes the relationship tick:

"We have such extreme opposite tastes but so much in common. He LOVES sports and I prefer the solo outdoors stuff, I like to dress super trendy he's into plain T's, I love alternative music he likes Whitney! (shhh) We both love to keep active and busy, we love trying new things and traveling. I was attracted to him the moment I saw him, mainly because he's got this confidence that pours out of him and a piercing stare that you can't help but notice so I went 'fishing'! Started talking with him and reeled him in! He's coming to stay with me all next week, and I with him next month. I'll be in New York for his finale in May and we are planning a huge trip this summer ... So hopefully things go well! I'm like a wall that usually wont let anyone one close to me, but he's doing a great job at breaking it down so I have high hopes."

In a recent interview with Reality Blurred, Spencer said: "I don’t like come across like most of the gay guys but I am, so I’ll probably be like—but then again, JP was gay and nobody knew that on the show; he was about the straightest I’ve ever seen. … But I won’t be Todd, I surely won’t be Coby. I won’t be Charlie. Holy shit. I talked to my parents and I was like, ‘Mom, do I sound like that?’ she was like, ‘Sweetheart, no, I would never let you go out in public if you sounded like that.’ Thank God."

Comments

1. To quote: "Men who tout how they aren't like "most gays" are as homophobic as any straight redneck. They're taking pride in not being identifiable as gay because in their mind, being gay is bad."

No, I think you really misunderstand this. They don't think being gay is bad. That is your projection. In reality, they take pride in not being reduced to a stereotype. A lot of gays understandably resent the ones who act really flamboyantly and then try to project this "queer performance" on to other gays as if it's required or something. Whether you are attracted to and have sex with men or not determines whether you're gay, not how you behave otherwise.

Gays who think like you are like black people who only hang out in the black community and tease their black friends for becoming "whitewashed". No, they are just not subscribing to an illusory stereotype and instead have the strength to forge their OWN, individual personality. Times have changed for younger gays like us and we are accepted by our straight peers, even sometimes revered at this stage. There is no need for us to inherit your heterophobia, even though we respect those who fought so hard at stonewall 4 decades ago.

Posted by: Andy in Vancouver | Mar 10, 2009 12:06:02 AM

2. My only comment on this is, MAN I don't care!!! 15 minutes and counting for both of them, and they will no longer be relevant, and we've all wasted too much time even commenting on them.

Posted by: troschne | Mar 10, 2009 6:36:20 AM

3. Um... don't accuse me of being silent, I'm out in a very religious town which takes a lot more work than listening to Kylie while hiding in a gaybourhood. You don't change peoples minds by running away.

I find it really interesting that people complain about Peter Griffen being too gay in a cartoon about hypocracy, and then slam this kid for saying he doesn't want to be a gay stereotype.

All I'm saying is he's 19, cut him some slack for his comments instead of calling him a douche.

Posted by: schmee | Mar 10, 2009 11:57:11 AM

4. Ooh... get her!

Posted by: Chris | Mar 10, 2009 12:03:38 PM

5. Let's remember that the closet buys you alot of access to more power and money in our culture. It all comes down to money folks. Sad but true for all of us.

Posted by: Ben Jackson | Mar 13, 2009 3:56:22 PM

6. Aw! that is sad to learn.

Posted by: Online Dating Services | Mar 28, 2009 5:56:28 AM

7. Ugh, disgusting straight-acting gay scum.

Posted by: Hank | Sep 1, 2013 12:02:31 PM

8. Enough with the Stonewall myth. Do any of you actually read?

Posted by: Hagatha | Sep 1, 2013 9:26:31 PM

9. I disagree Schmee. Clearly gay culture DOES mean a lot to him --Just not favorably. I have no patience for this homophobic elitist attitude. Unless your the ghost of Roy Cohn, these guys think this way because they're just too stupid to see the truth -- that their definition of "gay" is very narrow. I've tried channeling Julia Sugarbaker on guys like this when they start tossing around terms like "straight-acting" and it's nearly pointless. Homophobia is like bacteria. It keeps adapting to stay alive.

Posted by: Jason | Sep 3, 2013 9:32:40 PM

10. A lot of you are so judgemental and yet here we are in a world where we asking hetrosexual people not to be so judgemental towards the homosexual community.
    "Let he without sin, cast the first stone"
    We all as a race talk differently, whether it be describing ourselves or other people. I constantly hear phrases like "Straight acting" (I personally don't believe in that saying as how we are, is not an act) Just think about the ages of most people.
    I read somewhere on here that "Gay men also have larger penises than straight guys" Really, how stupid are you.... really. get a clue. that's like saying straight women have smaller/bigger boobs than lesbian women.
    Everyone is so quick to judge on how others talk, dress, walk etc etc So I reiterate "Let he without sin, cast the first stone"

Posted by: Ryan Jaymes | Oct 16, 2013 7:35:34 AM

11. SWIMINBUFF - I believe you are thinking of Colby. This guy is mentioning Coby, a different contestant from a later season. I am not sure about Colby - I couldn't find anything confirmed either way - but Coby definitely is confirmed.

The real shame here is that he does express his attitude in such a negative manner putting down other contestants. I myself had similar attitudes when first coming out - I grew up in small town Iowa and was so afraid admitting I was gay would transform me into the stereotype I'd seen in entertainment at that point. Though I've grown, we can't just blame a young guy when our culture perpetuates that to be popular or successful as a male, you should be masculine and muscular. That said, his mom should have taught him that old adage about if you can't say anything nice...

Posted by: jbrowder24 | Oct 24, 2013 12:03:19 PM

12. During the civil rights movement, there were many stereotypes of black people. They were labeled as violent criminals, thieves, stupid animals and so on. Every single time a black person actually murdered, raped or mugged someone, people who supported racial equality cringed a bit... because the stereotypes, their weaknesses, they were trying to escape kept on coming back.

When straight people look at gay men, the stereotype is "femininity," they see tulips and tutus. They see limp wrists, high voices, low musculature, and the inability for them to defend themselves physically. They see a victim. They see a weakness. Whether or not they can defend themselves is irrelevant, it's the perception.

I cringe whenever I see a limp wristed gregarious queen. Because I've been trying to show people that you don't have to be in theater or choir to be gay. The people at my mother's church still believe that I'm straight, because I'm "not like them."

By acknowledging to the masses that homosexuality is NOT just filled with people who sing and dance, you open doors for other men to express themselves.

Murder/rape/thief is not the same magnitude as femininity but it is used by homophobes in the same negative manner that racists do with racial slurs.

Posted by: Anonygiraffe | Oct 24, 2013 9:56:01 PM

13. How did sexuality become a 'need to know' topic?

Posted by: Calgary Custom Homes | Nov 1, 2013 10:55:46 AM