Eric Nies | New York | News | Pets | Reality TV

The Real World's Eric Nies Saves Dog from Frozen Lake — Naked

Nies1 Nies2
Nies3 Nies4

The Real World: New York's Eric Nies (yeah that was a long time ago) saved a dog from a freezing lake in Bear Mountain, NY after it chased some geese that were out on the ice.

TMZ reports: "As Nies noticed the pooch struggling to stay afloat, he immediately stripped down to his birthday suit and dove in after him. Nies eventually grabbed the pooch and got him back on the ice, where the scared little guy could run back to dry land. Eric suffered a couple of scratches -- and mild case of popsicle crotch -- but he proved that has-been reality stars can not only be relevant, but downright heroic.

The final two shots in this series, AFTER THE JUMP...

And if someone has the uncensored ones, please point us to them!

Nies5 Nies6

Comments

1. Now, Andy, that would be like asking to take off Batman's mask! Hero's need to protect their identities!

Posted by: Rad | Mar 18, 2009 7:59:30 AM

2. dude is aging WELL !!

Posted by: jack | Mar 18, 2009 8:07:44 AM

3. Considering his pictures in Bear Pond in the 80's and the fact he was in a frozen pond, I do not think there is anything underneath that black bar. He does look amazing though!

Posted by: Critifur | Mar 18, 2009 8:26:16 AM

4. Here's him hanging out at a lake with no bars - these were even before the Real World (hence the black and white - haha) but it includes the goods. They are from Bruce Weber's book Bear Pond.

Here's his brother from the same book:

Posted by: Scott | Mar 18, 2009 8:27:36 AM

5. What an ungrateful pooch! If Eric Nies doffed his drawers to come rescue me I'd at least stick around to lick his face...

Posted by: ichabod | Mar 18, 2009 8:30:07 AM

6. RE: his endowment - it could have been as cold at Bear Pond as at this lake hence the shrinkage.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 18, 2009 8:59:49 AM

7. he was one of 7 ex-teen heartthrobs on the recent reality series Confessions of a Teen Idol, at the of which each is set up with a chance to re-start his career. His re-start had to do with music, I think.

Posted by: northerner | Mar 18, 2009 9:45:36 AM

8. God, I'm old.

Posted by: JohnnyP | Mar 18, 2009 10:16:27 AM

9. I'm sorry, but this guy is soooooo in need of publicity that I suspect he and his agent put the poor dog out there in the first place.

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 18, 2009 10:21:15 AM

10. Exactly. Why would TMZ be following Eric Nies, of all people, when he happened to save a dog while naked? This was set up. Poor dog.

Posted by: kendall | Mar 18, 2009 10:33:30 AM

11. Those 90s haircuts in that Weber book are hilarious!

Posted by: Ben | Mar 18, 2009 10:43:01 AM

12. Somewhere Reichen is kicking his boxes of unsold books for not having thought of this!

Posted by: Leland Frances | Mar 18, 2009 10:48:38 AM

13. Seriously? Naked dog saving? This is taking it to the next level. Props for creativity to resuscitate a long dead celebrity status though.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 18, 2009 11:04:17 AM

14. LOL

Leland Francis

:-)

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Mar 18, 2009 11:11:02 AM

15. It would seem to me that those readers who think this is staged might not be dog owners (especially lab owners, which is what this dog appears to be, or at least mixed with...)or have ever lived on a lake with actual wild geese.

Good luck trying to get the geese to sit where you want them for a photo op. Good luck trying to keep a dog contained when they're off leash, near water, and the prey instinct kicks in.

And if you wanted to stage a photo op, frozen lake, dog, geese - what? It was smart to take of his clothes before he jumped in freezing water - maybe he just goes commando all the time, instead of going down to just his briefs.

I don't think EVERYTHING is about publicity these days, unless you're Ann Coulter. ;)

Posted by: kristopher | Mar 18, 2009 11:14:22 AM

16. Wow. Hot bearded goodness.

Posted by: latebrosus | Mar 18, 2009 11:34:14 AM

17. I think they generally don't recommend taking your clothes off in cold water--they keep you warmer! However, it probably was for real and TMZ bought the rights to the photos.

Posted by: anon | Mar 18, 2009 12:09:38 PM

18. Not to confuse everyone with the facts at a time like this, but climbing out of water onto the edge of thin ice doesn't work. The ice breaks under the weight and you are back in the water. It also looks like Fido already figured out he should swim to the opposite shore before Nies interrupted him. If this was staged they should have to answer for cruelty to that dog.

Posted by: Don | Mar 18, 2009 12:46:46 PM

19. I can't decide which is more sexy; he being naked or a guy rescuing an animal in distress? Either way, kudos to him!

Posted by: Dave | Mar 18, 2009 1:07:40 PM

20. "I think they generally don't recommend taking your clothes off in cold water"

Nah. You are supposed to take your clothes off. Bear Grylls told me.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 18, 2009 1:27:16 PM

21. I dont think this was staged. My dog has raced over the ice on a lake in my hometown in Connecticut on more than one occasion and I had to coax him back to shore. (I've since gotten much more careful.)

My parents have a place on a lake and in the winter we keep a very, very long rope hooked to the pier in two places in case this kind of thing happens. And if you have to go after someone in deep ice it is better to go naked because reduces risk of your clothes getting weighed down by water and ice. So Eric obviously knew what to do.

Posted by: tony the tiger | Mar 18, 2009 2:27:53 PM

22. Having a small penis is not so bad. I mean, the statue of David is hot. Sure, to a size queen it's a big deal, but I think his whole look is hot.

Posted by: Seamus | Mar 18, 2009 3:38:08 PM

23. He certainly seems to have a very spacious ass. Damn those black bars! Grrrr

Posted by: Inspecthis Gadget | Mar 18, 2009 5:26:19 PM

24. If I had $10.00 for every time I beat off to that picture of him at Bear Lake -I would be mortgage free. Small dick or not, I would have done him right there.

Posted by: TyInTenn | Mar 19, 2009 12:11:53 AM