Books | Film | MAurice Sendak | News | Spike Jonze

Where the Wild Things Are Trailer Arrives

Wildthings

Childhood tales are new again as the first trailer for the Spike Jonze adaptation of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are hits the internet. Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Between this and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, if they make a movie about the Great Jam Sandwhich, my childhood favorite books will be totally relived through cinema!

Posted by: Matt | Mar 25, 2009 7:14:20 PM

2. I.MUST.SEE.THIS!!!

Posted by: George | Mar 25, 2009 7:14:20 PM

3. One more item on the Homosexual agenda is now complete. - Big Homo author has big Homo movie made from his big Homo book. Children love it everywhere and want to become Homo adults when they grow up - .

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Mar 25, 2009 7:30:14 PM

4. this was one of my very favorite books when i was a child so i will be watching very critically. spike jonz is a pretty trustworthy director though so i have high hopes for this movie.

now if i can just find a kid to take to it i'll be set.

Posted by: alguien | Mar 25, 2009 7:41:27 PM

5. Part of me wishes they hadn't made a movie of this, but all of me hopes it's exceptional.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 25, 2009 7:46:15 PM

6. This made me unexpectedly quite joyful.

Posted by: Michael | Mar 25, 2009 8:32:00 PM

7. Sargon....You can suck it!

Posted by: David | Mar 25, 2009 9:02:37 PM

8. Huh? I've seen this trailer all over the blogosphere today and I've never heard of this book. I guess it's an age thing. I never thought I'd be the old guy going, "huh?" I used to be so hip and in touch... Aah, the good ole days. Shucks!

Posted by: Mike Dedmon | Mar 25, 2009 9:34:15 PM

9. I hope they don't use that awful music in the film

Posted by: Webster | Mar 25, 2009 9:40:57 PM

10. Well, I can't see the movie because I like the book too much, but I thought the wild things would be bigger...

Posted by: TANK | Mar 25, 2009 9:44:32 PM

11. I've seen this on so many blogs today and watched the trailer with breathless anticipation several times. I absolutely can't wait to see it.

Oh, and Alguien:
    now if i can just find a kid to take to it i'll be set.

Just look in a mirror and find the kid inside. Sorry to seem hokey, but this one's for us big kids too. As the slogan says: "Inside all of us is a Wild Thing."

Posted by: MrRoboto | Mar 25, 2009 9:49:30 PM

12. Andy, I found this movie: www.unfaithful-film.com for you ;-)

Posted by: tom | Mar 25, 2009 10:10:55 PM

13. I'm gettin real squeamish in my old age!

xo
    Rants, Thoughts & Merde

Posted by: NativeNYker | Mar 25, 2009 10:37:44 PM

14. I feel as though I missed some part of my childhood because I never read these books. I remember vividly when they first arrived in our school library, the pictures were really, really cool, but there was lists for it backed up for weeks! It wasn't even a new book... I was a child of the late 80s/early 90s... I think we just got a new copy and the librarian started reading it to us, but never finished (she would often do that, trying to get us to finish it on our own). I probably won't go to see it, unless I read it 18 years too late =p

Posted by: Ryan | Mar 25, 2009 11:26:08 PM

15. OMG! This looks amazing!! And I don't what you're talking about Webster, this Arcade Fire song is perfect.

Ryan, honestly, this book takes less than 5 mintues to read. When you are done reading it you'll wonder how they can make a movie out of it. I love the book, as a child I was scared yet drawn in by the Wild Things, but the movie is going to be a completly different animal, and so far I like what I see.

Posted by: RIO | Mar 26, 2009 12:48:15 AM

16. ANDY,

perhaps you may want to reconsider the photo. why do you want to have an ape with a huge, bulbous w.c.fields nose. alcoholism or rosacea? you be the judge. don't you recall that fields only liked kids parboiled? i don't know why that picture makes me uncomfortable, but it does.

Posted by: nic | Mar 26, 2009 1:47:25 AM

17. Rio's right, the book takes two minutes to "read" (since it's mostly pictures).

This trailer made me pathetically cry with excitement, and part of it was probably the Arcade Fire song, which, also agreed, is perfect. My only fear: dressing up as Max is the perfect Halloween costume, and this will make any effort seem lackluster.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 26, 2009 2:02:51 AM

18. I don't think I've ever been happier to see a trailer in my life. I'd heard this book was going to be optioned for a movie, and given CGI and special effects lately, I wasn't AS worried...but I was worried. Apparently for nothing. This trailer has restored my faith that one of my favorite books as a child, will be one of my favorite movies as an adult. I can't wait to take my neice and nephew.

Posted by: g_whiz | Mar 26, 2009 2:10:27 AM

19. Mike Dedmon, it was first published in 1963, and won the Caldecott Medal (essentially the Pulitzer for children's books) in 1964.

Posted by: Paul R | Mar 26, 2009 2:38:12 AM

20. And now let the wild rumpus start!

Posted by: Max | Mar 26, 2009 3:28:07 AM

21. Looks great, but I want a Strega Nona movie.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Mar 26, 2009 4:03:22 AM

22. Is that not the cutest kid you've ever seen in your life?

This looks great. Spike Jonze is a more than competent director.

Posted by: Jordan | Mar 26, 2009 4:16:38 AM

23. oh nic, god on a wheel! yay spike, yay arcade, yay maurice, yay gandolfini, yay keener, yay claire!

Posted by: brad | Mar 26, 2009 7:28:56 AM

24. I love this book. My mother (an early childhood/special needs teacher gave this book to every one of her "different" students). She re-gave it to me when I was fourteen and I understood that she knew and that she loved me and accepted me as I was.

I hope this movie lives up to my very high expectations.

Posted by: rudy | Mar 26, 2009 8:09:24 AM

25. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was so excited he cried a little when he saw this.

I didn't even know they were making it into a movie. Had I known I would have been horrified. The trailer looks amazing and if the movie is half as good, we are going to be in for an amazing ride.

Posted by: MT | Mar 26, 2009 9:04:18 AM