Boycott Jamaica Activists Planning ‘Rum Dump’ at Stonewall Inn

This Wednesday, in front of New York's Stonewall Inn, bar owners and Boycott Jamaica activists will take part in a "rum dump" to mark the launch of a boycott against Jamaica for its homophobic oppression.

Jamaicarumdump Organizers write: "The bar’s owners and boycott supporters will dump Jamaican liquor – Red Stripe beer and Myers’ Rum – down the sewer. Human rights activists have given Jamaica the infamous title: 'The
Most Homophobic Place on Earth.' Gay people have regularly been beaten
and murdered on the island, while authorities do little to stop the
violence. We, as the owners of the Stonewall Inn, birthplace of the Gay
rights movement, refuse to support, in any way, shape or form, the
oppression of any people especially our gay brothers and sisters in
Jamaica,' the Stonewall Inn said in its statement. 'We ask all people
of all walks of life to send a clear message to the Jamaican people and
their government, that as long as they continue to allow and condone
violence and hatred toward the Gay community, we will neither buy their
products nor support their tourist trade. To do so is to tacitly
support the current climate of oppression.'"

The "Rum Dump" will take place at 6:30 pm on Wednesday at 53 Christopher Streeet.

Comments

1. Scott says

I’ve been advocating boycotting Jamaica for years now because of their general attitude and treatment of gays. I’m glad its finally getting some traction!!!!!

2. GregV says

What I would really like to see is more straight tourists refusing to go to Jamaica and travel agents (including straight ones who believe in human rights and pu8blic safety} refusing to publicize Jamaica in their ads and on the posters in their windows.
    There is a billboard in my gay neighborhood that says “Once you go, you`ll know.“ And I think, every time I see it, yeah, we already know more than you realize, and that`s why we aren`t going.

3. Salome says

Marco, I would appreciate if you wouldn’t insult the place where my family is from. My grandmother is straight from the island and goes back on a regular basis and loves my out gay self without hesitation or limitation.

As a matter of fact, she’s marched in the DC Pride parade, waving signs for PFLAG. So I understand that many gays are angry. But that doesn’t give you the right to condemn an entire nation that you don’t understand. I’m not defending what some Jamaicans do, but I also do not appreciate
    people condemning the land where such a loving woman such as my grandmother and so many other loving people come from.

The West Indian Day parade is in New York, has anyone ever considered doing ANY outreach?

4. says

Yes, but is BUYING the Jamaican Rum, then pouring it into the sewer really punishing Jamaica?

Seems to me it would be more effective to intercept it after it goes through customs or whatever and has any taxes levied, and before it gets into the hands of wholesalers and retailers for distribution… as long as any insurance companies involved are also doing business from Jamaica.

5. JT says

No, Salome, they’d get their butts kicked if they tried anything at that parade.//////But I have no doubt there are wonderful beautiful Jamaican individuals, like your grandmother.

6. Sargon Bighorn says

Go to Jamaica Tourism and write them a short note telling them you won’t go to or buy products from Jamaica. Let the tourism board know and they will pass that along to the government. The more people that tell Jamaica the stronger the message.

7. jimmyboyo says

good intentions BUT

– very little rum is made in jamaica anymore. Most rum is produced in Colombia, Venezuela, Cuba, Guyana, Brazil, Australia, Fiji, India, Reunion Island, Mauritius, and the other caribian islands (though actual caribian produced rum is in a very small amount)

– The term “Jamaican rum” is in reference to it being made from pure sugarcane products with no amount of grain additives and fermented in oak caskets. It does not!!!!!!!!!!!!!! have to be made in jamaica to be called jamaican rum.

You can bottle and sell “Jamaican rum” as long as you do not add even 1% of grain , sorghum, or whatever additive to the 100% sugarcane product = straight sugarcane, molases, etc and you can call it “jamaican rum” as long as it is fermented in oak barrels.

Hell, you can make “Jamaican rum” in your bathtub in NY as long as it is from pure sugarcane and you transfer it to oak barrels to ferment.

It can be called rum though not jamaican rum if you cut the sugarcane with grains and or ferment it in metal vats

– buying so called jamaican rum (most likely not created in jamaica) and then pouring it out defeats the purpose

good intentions, BUT

8. Marco says

I am sorry Salome, and of course I mean no offense to your family personally, but any nation that can jail a gay man for up to 10 years for a homosexual act can fuck off. Basing that law on the practice of Christianity? Double fuck off. I am sure your family is lovely. I will never know because I would never visit Jamaica to meet them hence I am chased by a mob and/or jailed.

9. Chad says

Well I dont think any sane gay person would visit Jamaica ,nor would any white person,the island is very violent ,bigoted and a mess. Other then isolated all inclusive places where you dont leave that area,Jamaica is a cesspool of hate and people should boycott it big time. Also boycott any product from there,any product.

10. Ben says

Sorry – but when I first read the headline for the post I thought it said “Rump Dump”. Considering the location, I got a chuckle from that for a moment.

11. Derek says

My lover and I visited Jamaica several years ago BEFORE their terrible human rights record came to light. We stayed in an all inclusive in Negril and much to the horror of those guests around us, we chose to leave the resort and discover the countryside and interior of the island each day.

Well what we found was an amazingly beautiful country filled with some of the nicest people one could encounter when traveling. We never once felt threatened or fearful for our safety. Yeah at times it seemed like everyone and their brother were trying to make a few bucks from the crazy white boys exploring in their jeep but that speaks more to the poverty of the island than anything else. It was an awesome trip and I hate to break it to you there Chad but we are both sane.

My point, Jamaica is filled with wonderful loving people but in their culture is deeply rooted homophobia and hate that can no longer be ignored. I admire the Stonewall for taking a stand and making their voices heard but I wonder just what difference can it make?

12. scott says

I was interested in the response from JFLAG. Aside from their support of Red Stripe – a company that has been sort of supportive of their efforts, they wrote the following:

Jamaica’s deeply ingrained antipathy towards homosexuality and homosexuals is a social phenomenon that will not be undone by boycott campaigns or government dictate. It requires the painstaking effort of confronting the society and talking to social actors who can bring change in the way society sees LGBT people. We have been doing this through a small but growing group of increasingly aware opinion leaders who are concerned about the damage homophobia does to our society. We need those ears to continue being open to us and we need the relative safety that some of us have been given to speak to them.

13. Salome says

Thank you Marco, I must admit I took it a bit personally because I visited my family when I was younger and it had been and still is one of the most beautiful times in my life. But that said, your right, I in all honesty can’t risk going back there.

And as bad as it sounds, Chad is right. When you visit resorts in Jamaica the really really, REALLY encourage you to stay within tourist designated areas and to not venture out without escorts. And any white person would be very wise to not go near Kingston after dark.

14. JT says

Salome : Certainly the two are not mutually-exclusive. It’s perfectly fine to recognize the problems in Jamaica today, as well as cherishing the memories of your grandmother and family visit. Life is like that.

15. Derrick from Philly says

MARCO, the only way you’re going to be chased, beaten, lynced, burned alive in Jamaica is if you’re seen kissing/showing too much affection with another man in public

…that is unless you are black–then yeah, you could be killed on sight, but probably not if you are white (even if you swished like Joan Crawford they would assume you are a tourist and not Jamaican). But are black gay people part of the concern? I guess not because black gay people ARE Jamaican, Aruban, Senegalese, Nigerian, Ugandan, Kenyan, Somali, Brooklynites…

I agree with boycotts of anti-gay tourist destinations, and I’m angry with the anti-gay Jamaicans; but out of respect for Jamaican Gays I’m not going to say “fuck Jamaica”, nor would I say “fuck Poland” –for fear that I might offend Polish Gays. It’s not that difficult to follow that etiquette.

I might say, “fuck West Philly” though. They used to be kinda’ uppity towards us North Philly folks–uppity like Will Smith.

16. John says

My “straight” travel agent refused to book me and my partner to Jamaica back in ’93, people have known for years what’s going on there.

17. Bisexual Jamaican says

Its pretty jacked up how stereotypes of Jamaican homophobia spread around the world.
    I live in Jamaica, it’s not as bad as you think.

No one really needs to complain about violence against gays in Jamaica, what you should really complain about is lack of gay expression… this is where violence comes in. Trust me, there are many many many gays in Jamaica. In Jamaican politics, churches, business etc. I honestly think most high-society men are gays. No one cares what is done in your bedroom unless you believe that you need the whole population to see, hear, face up to what you do.

Flirting with straight men. Dressing like women in public. Acting like women in public. Caught having sex in public. Sex tapes and pictures… these are the reasons why gay men experience violence in Jamaica. No one walks up to a gay and just kills them like that. I see gay men that act like ladies on a regular basis (not all gay men act like women) and at this point in time they do as they please. the most they get is a turned up nose, people stay far from them etc.

They just do not appreciate two men kissing, having sex and speaking, walking posing, or dressed feminine. Keep it behind closed doors.
    When you are coming to Jamaica, don’t bother hugging onto your boyfriend like a woman to make it obvious that you are gay.

Jamaicans really don’t care what you do or don’t do, buy or don’t buy because of their homophobia. You simply cannot force acceptance on this group of people. Times are changing… While you worry yourself about them, many of them really don’t care you.

18. Bisexual Jamaican says

In addition to that, I think forcing acceptance on Jamaican people makes things worst, segregates gays and straights and makes them more hostile towards homosexuals.

For example the Ban on artistes who have made homophobic songs in the past… lol you cannot imaging the fresh dose of gay hatred that cause. Another dozen homophobic songs followed.

Anti-Jamaican efforts will not help anybody I say. I am bisexual and although i love gay straight and every type of human, some of the things that goes on and a stereotypical to gay men i do not support.
    for example, I do not want a Mardi Gras in Jamaica. Sorry… i just don’t think things like that are becoming of anyone and i do not support it.

Because of those events etc, people have the stereotype that all gays are promiscuous and classless which i really find many to be.
    You could be sure that a massacre would occur on any street having that parade though. they would not have it.