AIDS/HIV | Iowa | News

BigGayDeal.com

Disgusting Anti-Gay 'Guest Column' in the Des Moines Register

Chuck Hurley's Iowa Family Policy Center is behind a disgusting "guest column" in the Des Moines Register by Karl and Judy Schowengerdt about their late son being "recruited into the homosexual lifestyle" and then dying of AIDS while the homosexuals who recruited him rejected him.

Here's just a bit of it:

Showengerdt "We knew the tests would leave no doubt, but there simply are no words to describe the pain of hearing your firstborn say, 'Dad, I'm HIV positive.' As a parent, nothing can prepare you for the loss of a child to a terminal illness. It's somehow worse when that illness resulted from your child's reckless decision and his own actions. Witnessing the daily physical deterioration of our son caused great pain and sadness to us as parents and on the extended family as well. It was interesting to note that once Randy was diagnosed HIV positive, the homosexual community who had actively recruited him and had claimed to be his 'family' were nowhere to be found. As his health declined, he spoke frankly about the homosexual experience. Randy said, 'It is not an alternate lifestyle. It is a cult.' For years, my wife and I have watched the media and homosexual activists work together to redefine family and marriage in our society."

And there's a video that comes with it. Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

To the Schowengerdts: I'm very sorry for the loss of your son but it's bigotry like yours which prevented the U.S. Government from recognizing AIDS and taking steps to curb it until far too late. No doubt your bigotry also prevented your own son from accepting who God made him. A very sad tale indeed.

Comments

1. Of course, we don't even know that their son said any of the things they attribute to him. We only have the word of these two nasty bigoted assholes, who obviously have no problem capitalizing on their son's death for political purposes.

Posted by: Glenn | Apr 29, 2009 10:22:18 AM

2. the only good thing about all these elderly bigots is that they will be dying in droves soon

Posted by: hall | Apr 29, 2009 10:30:52 AM

3. Tragically grotesque denial!! I can't even bring myself to watch that video.

Posted by: realitythink | Apr 29, 2009 10:34:23 AM

4. They're downright icy.

Posted by: JeffRob | Apr 29, 2009 10:38:20 AM

5. Heterosexuals and using people as props go together like a horse and carriage. They have no shame using their dead son to cover their hate and further their hateful message.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 29, 2009 10:38:54 AM

6. I feel really bad for any young, confused, religious kid in Iowa who picks this up and reads it, because it's playing into his or her worst fears. It seems totally disreputable to me that a newspaper would allow something like this to be published in a jouranlistic context.

Posted by: Grant | Apr 29, 2009 10:39:16 AM

7. I won't watch this BS video...the article spewed anough crap...they USE thier Dead son like this....what asshole Un-Loving parents....shame I can't tellm off personally....as another commentor said....at least they'll shrivil up and die soon...aaargh! Hmm and maybe IF thier area had LGBT affirming people..thier son would have had a REAL support system in his time of need...these people make me wanna vomit.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 29, 2009 10:40:31 AM

8. I'm surprized these nitwits didn't just say - "because our son decided NOT to eat/and Fuck pussy...he got AIDS".."It was Gawd's wrath on him for sucking cock,and fucking ass"..."Everyone knows Gawd wants women to suck men's cocks,and fuck thier vaginas"...these old fucks..need to "chk out" and soon!

Posted by: Rex | Apr 29, 2009 10:44:23 AM

9. It's very sad that they lost their son to such a horrible disease. They seem more lost and confused than horrible bigots. It's too bad the Iowa Family Policy Center got to them before a gay group.

Posted by: A | Apr 29, 2009 10:47:58 AM

10. if he didn't die of AIDS, i have a feeling this story wouldn't exist right now...

Posted by: liz templin | Apr 29, 2009 10:51:39 AM

11. So how many, possibly thousands, of testimonies from the proud parents of gay LGBT couples in Iowa will appear in the Des Moines Register?

Posted by: Robert | Apr 29, 2009 10:54:03 AM

12. I wonder if their son actually said such things before his death. Evangelical Christian families have a tendency to fabricate new 'truths' to push their agenda. I've heard many a tale from people in my hometown who've heard my parents (my father is a Baptist minister) say how distraught I am over the lifestyle I've chosen and how it's caused nothing but problems for me in every facet of my life--down to specifics that could NOT be any father from the truth. (I'm happier now than I ever was growing up and much more successful--in terms of 'things' and happiness--than either of my parents ever have been.)

Furthermore, I had a gay cousin die of AIDS in the late nineties, and it was our family that rejected his gay friends. I don't know the specifics of these people's lives, but I seriously doubt they would have embraced their son's friends rushing to his side--just as my own family did its damndest to shut my cousin's partner out of every aspect of the planning of his funeral, but god bless the ballsy queen because before they rolled the casket out, he ran up in front of the congegration, said his own spill and pulled out a battery-operated boombox to play my cousin's favorite song, 'Angel' by Sarah MacLachlan.

So yeah, I can't help but be skeptical when it comes to the testimonies and experiences of evangelical Christians. For people who claim to honor and cherish TRUTH, they sure as Hell do a damn fine job of stretching, distorting, and mutilating it.

Posted by: Jason | Apr 29, 2009 10:57:46 AM

13. From the coda to the blogpost: "[B]ut it's bigotry like yours which prevented the U.S. Government from recognizing AIDS and taking steps to curb it until far too late."

I don't doubt that bigotry prevented early identification of HIV/AIDS -- but I'm curious about the second half. Even with early identification, do you think anything could have been done to curb infection rates?

Posted by: Mike B. | Apr 29, 2009 11:05:22 AM

14. t r a g i c.
    Let's hope there is an appropriate response to counter this.

Posted by: banshiii | Apr 29, 2009 11:08:30 AM

15. What a disgusting video.
    Why would you even talk about the money he costs if you love your son.
    People saying it;s a lifestyle are just ridiculous.

Posted by: alex | Apr 29, 2009 11:12:55 AM

16. Chances are that the Schowengerdts could have prevented the tragic death of their son all along. Had they dignified the life of his son as God made him to be, he probably would have made better choices for himself. I suggest that if you want to honor the memory of your son, you could start by dignifying the lives of others, who like your son, could benefit from making better decisions for themselves today.

Posted by: Rafael | Apr 29, 2009 11:13:56 AM

17. They might want to take responsibility for their own actions....hetersexuals are real big on responsibility aren't they? Oh, wait...aren't Cheney, Dobson, Rove, Bush, et al straight? Never mind.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Apr 29, 2009 11:15:28 AM

18. They are dishing out their failure on the gay community. I have no doubt the dead one hated his parents

Posted by: frank | Apr 29, 2009 11:22:11 AM

19. You know this couple believes every word they're saying on this video and that's the sad part.

I'm also sure that the guy's friends didn't abandon him. I'm sure his parents kept his friends away from him.

Posted by: Ray | Apr 29, 2009 11:22:16 AM

20. HIV and Gay Marriage are as analogous as Lung Cancer is to Heterosexual Marriage!!! Bigots get a life!!

Posted by: alex in boston | Apr 29, 2009 11:22:18 AM

21. How odd...the gay community has been good to me & to my friends...maybe these old folks ...after "god" took their son and taught them a lesson they don't learn....Doesn't god work in mysterious ways????

bigotry bigotry...these folks should be ashamed of using their son's memories for crap like this...i guess it goes to show that their son alive or death still is worthless in their eyes.

Posted by: Bosie | Apr 29, 2009 11:23:46 AM

22. Its vids like this that brings up weird feelings. I am 22, an out homosexual and pro-gay rights. Unfortunately somewhere between 18 and 21 I contracted HIV. I haven't told my family because they'll mirror the couple in the video. Sometimes I truly wish I was born straight so I could live a normal life with a family of my own instead of being young and living with this disease and perhaps destined to be alone all my life. Perhaps even die in the next 10 years. But you can only live with the cards delt to you I guess.

Posted by: Positive | Apr 29, 2009 11:25:22 AM

23. I agree that it's a lifestyle. It's a lifestyle consisting of getting up in the morning, going to work, coming home, cleaning house, running errands on the weekend and every now and then going to a movie and/or dinner with friends. That is my two-person cult lifestyle in a nutshell. I can see how the recruiters for this lifestyle are so successful since it's so fabulously counter culture. I am sorry for their loss and for their misplaced anger. They are in my prayers. Oh, prayer is yet another one of those lifestyle things that I do that makes me so darn edgy.

Posted by: Ed | Apr 29, 2009 11:26:41 AM

24. This is exactly the type of filth that is responsible for the suicides of many young gay kids every year. I hope someone points that out to these bigots.

Posted by: REM HOU | Apr 29, 2009 11:30:25 AM

25. I'm very sorry for their loss. I understand it completely. I am also sorry that they're so deluded. That after all this time, they're unable to let go of their anger. That shit will eat you up..and they're providing us with a great object lesson. Let it go already.

Posted by: Sean | Apr 29, 2009 11:32:30 AM