Colin Powell | Elaine Donnelly | Military | News | Rachel Maddow

Fmr Military Leaders Powell and Alexander on 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell'

Powell_maddow

Rachel Maddow interviewed former General Colin Powell and Andrea Mitchell interviewed Former Secretary of the Army Clifford Alexander about repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Alexander called DADT "like having a bowl of bigotry around a curtain of silk. It takes the basic integrity of a person and says you must forget it. It turns people into liars."

Mitchell discusses the Elaine Donnelly letter and Alexander calls it "nonsense."

Watch the clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

Mitchell-alexander

Comments

1. DORO is a bi-curious man. how else to explain this rather curious phenomenon?

Posted by: nic | Apr 3, 2009 2:47:43 PM

2. DORO, you're confused. First, straight people aren't disgusted by "anal sex," (which they engage in) but rather, the thought of NIC engaging in it. And it's not just them, but everyone who can picture it. Do your part by contributing to the fund that's sole purpose is to prevent this horrible situation from coming to pass.

If you think for a second that your typical heterosexual guy is gonna get turned on by two real lesbians having sex...oh boy, you've got another thing coming. Comin' atcha...hard, in your face.

Are lesbians more mature than gay men? Not really. They express their immaturity differently, I think, and really get more done in a day. And their carpentry skills are clearly innate and unmatched. Many of my friends are dykes, and they'd not be...overjoyed to hear your ridiculous false comments.

---------

The same military leaders (like you, colin) who based that knee jerk decision on uninformed prejudice and homophobia? NO data supporting that decision, but your own? Actually, at the time that the top military leaders were crafting this "compromise" (many didn't even know what sexual orientation meant), there were studies indicating that it wasn't sound policy. But some bigoted sociologist who based a study off of his own opinion was used instead to bolster the ignorant TOP military brass "opinion," and his own suggested resolution.

Of course he's withholding judgment. The studies have been done ad nauseam. OVER AND OVER, they unanimously prescribe repeal of DADT. Colin Powell is an embarrassment. The senior military leaders don't care about empirical facts and data, and the politicians aren't going to introduce a bill that might, in their failed perception, threaten the democratic majorities which won't exist after the midterm.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 3, 2009 3:41:17 PM

3. Leland/Michael, some people read Queerty, too.

Posted by: Scheissekopf | Apr 3, 2009 3:59:10 PM

4. DORO The same way two women scissoring gives me nausea. I guess I should just ask lesbians to stop trying to act so manish. You are also assuming that all gay men like butt secks. In my experience, I've found that most guys feel uncomfortable doing that right away until they are in a relationship. Besides that, what does that have anything to do with running obstacle courses and shooting a rifle.

Posted by: Aiden Raccoon | Apr 3, 2009 4:21:17 PM

5. Doro,
    Anal sex disgusts YOU but plenty of US could easily be disgusted by lesbian sex acts such as cunnilingus. Except that most of us are not wasting our time thinking about YOUR sex acts and consequently blaming YOU for set backs in OUR movement. This is mostly because we not stupid asshat "christian" males posing as lesbians on gay websites. And if you happen to actually be a lesbian, you are proof positive that lesbians can be as stupid, bullying and childish as anyone else. So whatever you are, go fuck yourself please.

Posted by: AdamN | Apr 3, 2009 4:34:20 PM

6. TANK,

why do you want to mix me into your rants? you have no idea what i look like or whether a bi-curious guy like DORO would want to imagine me fucking or not. u so crazy.

Posted by: nic | Apr 3, 2009 4:36:17 PM

7. I suspect I've a fairly accurate working model, NIC. My "rants" are no worse than your witless barbs and creepy old man come ons. Have you told everyone how you just want to lay next to ben affleck panting yet and "breathing deeply", or was it something even more disturbing?

Posted by: TANK | Apr 3, 2009 4:57:51 PM

8. TANK.

so, you have a working model of me. how so? "breathing deeply"? what the hell are you talking about?

OK, i have done a complete run-up on you. you are certifiably cuckoo.

Posted by: nic | Apr 3, 2009 5:30:12 PM

9. You just make a lot of sexually ew comments for an older gay man, nic. It really plays to type... Like this guy

Crazy?

Posted by: TANK | Apr 3, 2009 5:47:58 PM

10. TANK,

how do you know my age, asshole? you are probably older than i am, crazy ol' muthafucka.

Posted by: nic | Apr 3, 2009 6:20:55 PM

11. Tank, that was horrid.

Posted by: TikiHead | Apr 3, 2009 7:08:14 PM

12. Tank, could you supply us older gay men with a guide for age appropriate ogling/admiration? I am in my late 40s, and thus VERY OLD -- what is the minimum age I can admit to admiring, EW-free?

Posted by: TikiHead | Apr 3, 2009 8:40:55 PM

13. Cryptkeeper. I don't have his precise age on file, but if he looks something like that, you're good to go.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 3, 2009 8:49:12 PM

14. I'm not one to talk, as, well, this dress exacerbates the genetic betrayal that is my legacy. So I guess I'm not referring to the advanced age men with younger bodies who I'm nonetheless not attracted to because of their age, but rather, the more aggressively carniverous older men should speak when spoken to.

And nic, all one need do is pay attention to know you're over 35.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 3, 2009 9:24:26 PM

15. Uh, did you just call me Cryptkeeper? I WISH I looked that good!

Posted by: TikiHead | Apr 3, 2009 9:55:25 PM

16. tank,

so being over 35 makes me old? i can see why a pedophile like you would be disgusted. the fact that i may have hair down there turns you off. i get you now.

Posted by: nic | Apr 4, 2009 2:29:58 AM

17. You're over forty five, nic. LOL! I guess that makes me a pedo. Okay.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 4, 2009 3:07:33 PM

18. and how old are you, tank? 12? idiot.

Posted by: nic | Apr 4, 2009 8:21:24 PM

19. Obama campaigned on his "commitment to equality for lesbians and gays," but is delaying overturning DADT, and has not ended legal discrimination against lesbian and gay couples at the federal level.

I wonder if he would delay prohibiting the laws that would have banned his parents' marriage, or his daughters their choice of school?

Posted by: Rick in Robbinsville | Apr 5, 2009 11:09:58 AM

20. In addition to being one of the leading bigots responsible for Clinton’s codification of military bigotry, DADT, Colin Powell is a war criminal and an apologist for war crimes. And has been for decades.

He was assistant chief of staff of the 23rd Infantry Division in Nam where he lied under oath and attempted to discredit the expert testimony of courageous GI’s like Tom Glen of the 11th Light Infantry Brigade who exposed the My Lai Massacre. Powell said: "In direct refutation of this portrayal is the fact that relations between American soldiers and the Vietnamese people are excellent."

They were so ‘excellent’ that over a million civilians were slaughtered on the orders of Democrat LBJ and Republican Nixon before their invasion/occupation was unceremoniously defeated by a combination of Vietnamese intransigence and the civilian and GI anti-war movements. The same fate awaits the Clinton-Bush-Obama war for oil in SW Asia.

Some are only to happy to forgive LBJ, Humphrey, Powell, Clinton and Gore for their role in the genocides in Vietnam and Iraq because it’s politically expedient to ignore their murders but the rest of us don’t.

Posted by: Bill Perdue | Apr 6, 2009 10:45:25 AM

21. If you have papules arranged in groups or individually at the base of the penis or in the scrotum, it is not pearly papules

Posted by: pearly penile papules | Oct 6, 2012 2:25:40 AM

22. For some, the only option left is to result to excessive eating, drinking and drugs to combat the hurt of being alone for the rest of your life.

Posted by: pearly penile papules | Oct 6, 2012 2:28:06 AM