Boston | Crime | News

Gay Man Assaulted Outside Bar in Gloucester, Massachusetts

Goodwin

Justin Goodwin, 36, of Salem, Massachusetts, was attacked on Saturday night at a bar in nearby Gloucester, WCVB reports:

Oldtimers "Goodwin, who cannot speak because his jaw is wired shut following a nine-hour surgery, said in a statement Monday that he heard the men use a homophobic epithet during the attack.' I recall four to five men running toward me, punching me in the face, calling me a (gay slur) and get out of their bar,' wrote Goodwin in the statement. 'They proceeded to kick me to the ground in the face.' Goodwin said his sister, Kalem, had been in an altercation with several women at the Gloucester bar shortly before the attack. 'His eye socket is fractured, his jaw is bone was fractured in five different places. He was in surgery yesterday for nine hours,' Kalem Goodwin said. Kalem Goodwin said her boyfriend and her brother tried to separate her from the group of women but a bouncer escorted the three out of the bar into a back alley, where the men reportedly attacked Justin Goodwin a short time later."

According to the Boston Globe, "Gloucester police charged Jonathan Chadwick, 23, and his brother William, 21, with aggravated assault and battery and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon in the beating..."

Comments

1. Straight men are PUSSIES!! Notice how there ALWAYS has to be more than one when they go on these rampages? When it's one-on-one it usually goes no further than name-calling but I suppose the mob mentality takes over when there's more than one.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Apr 14, 2009 9:19:56 AM

2. So yesterday I stopped at home for lunch and my neighbor who I put in court ordered anger management for harassing my partner and I for years decided after 4 years of being quiet to harass me again. Let's just say a 250# man goes down real easy with a thud. I won't be walked over again. If they want to attack me physically and verbally, they're gonna get it right back.

Posted by: AS13 | Apr 14, 2009 9:56:36 AM

3. Of course str8 men are pussies.They are what they eat.And yes,str8 men always travel in pacts when they attack gay men.In fact some travel that way when they attack/rape women.I consider most str8 men the weakest men of the world.Gay men are the strongest (atleast the better half of us) because me endure so much (mostly from the shithead heteros).Alot of str8 men are looking for that easy control,so you will always read or hear stories about or (god forbid) witness them attacking/assaulting gay men (in groups mind you) or you will read or hear stories about them attacking/raping women.Of course the str8 guys who pull this kind of bullshit are the losers at the bottom of the social food chain (most be alot of those bastards) considering how many of these stories I read per week.These str8 pussy boys think they are proving something when they do something like this.They aint provin jack shit,well except that they are a neanderthal who has no place in society and should be locked in a cage like a common ape.Nuff said!!!

Posted by: Jess | Apr 14, 2009 10:17:26 AM

4. you can search their facebook profiles, and you shouldn't be too surprised to find the word gay all over Jonathan Chadwick's page. His little brother seems a bit more tame, but it's interesting to note that this kid Jonathan's hatred for gays wasn't alcohol induced, but a part of his vernacular.

Posted by: Dino | Apr 14, 2009 11:06:39 AM

5. Okay, I'm upset at these hate crimes, and yes, I hope I fight back, but why the misogyny against women? How nice to see a stereotype confirmed. Do you want to give straights a legitimate reason to hate gay men?

Posted by: Gabe R L | Apr 14, 2009 12:25:20 PM

6. I don't want to spend much time on this...
    but here's my 2 cents>
    Gay men may be great people. But the reality is they can not procreate. It is wrong according to the Universal Laws of Nature. Hands down, no argument. So to say gay men are the strong men of this world is to say your father was a weak man among others. Everyone has their vices. Some men have heroin and violence, some have sex and self-hatred.
    Now, beating up gay people is wrong too, but I'll let it be known those were two of my best friends and they fucked their lives up over this. So people can sit behind their computer and talk all the shit they want, but the reality is, EVERY ONE of us is just as guilty as they are including the man in that bed. Look in your souls and TRY to deny that. You can't. Judge not who should be judged first, right? So shut the fuck up unless you plan to get up and make a difference by your SELF

On a seperate note, anyone who has a problem with those 2 can pull up a bed next to their friend.

Posted by: Brian Mahoney | Apr 14, 2009 2:11:11 PM

7. Why does this not surprise me that this happened in Gloucester?

Posted by: Ryan | Apr 14, 2009 2:20:19 PM

8. @ Brian Mahoney,
    You stated: “It is wrong [being Gay] according to the Universal Laws of Nature.”
    So how many planets have you been to for all of that knowledge you have about the “Universal Laws of Nature”?
    I don’t know what color the sky is on your planet but on my planet Earth it’s blue. Many of the animal species on this planet have homosexuality which serves several purposes. As just three examples would be that it slows a species from over populating, it allows non-breeding members to step in and care for orphans, and the non-breeding members have more time to care for and protect the species as a whole.
    Your hateful post continues to put me in the same league as a heroine addict and states that I’m “just as guilty “as your friends who commit acts of violence. How dare you judge me! You don’t know me, you don’t anything about the charity work I do and you don’t know anything about the “Universal Laws of Nature”. I most certainly do deny that I’m a hateful violent person like your friends and I bet their lives were fucked up before this happened.

Posted by: ELI | Apr 14, 2009 3:35:40 PM

9. @ Eli...Touche and perfecto....couldn't have stated that any better

Posted by: Johnny | Apr 14, 2009 5:14:40 PM

10. @BRIAN Mahoney You're an idiot and ELI totally owned you. And if you care to man up to some veiled threat that any of us can join the victim of your friend's deviancy just come on down to Jersey, punk, I have a nice plot of land for you in the Pine Barrens.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Apr 14, 2009 10:10:24 PM