Crime | Houston | News | Texas

Houston-Area Murder Victim Met Killer in Gay Chat Room, Police Say

The body of Spencer Vogt, a 19-year-old man from Katy, Texas who had been missing since March 27, was found last week after another 19-year-old man, believed to be Vogt's killer, was discovered in Georgia driving the victim's car. That man led police to Vogt's body.

Vogt The Houston Chronicle reports: "Vogt had been missing for several days when his body was found late Wednesday wrapped in a tarp and dumped near Cullen at Fuqua. Investigators say a south Houston man stopped by police in Georgia led detectives to Vogt’s body. That man, Lee Carl Banks III, also 19, was driving Vogt’s Mitsubishi Eclipse when he was spotted early Monday in Cairo, which is located in the southwest part of Georgia. Georgia police officers also found a .38-caliber pistol inside the car, the weapon police believe was used to shoot Vogt. Authorities say the two men became acquainted in a gay chat room. Fort Bend County sheriff’s detectives and Texas Rangers questioned Banks in Georgia, where officials say that he admitted shooting Vogt several times and told investigators where the body was located. Banks remains in custody in Georgia, where he was charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon and car theft. He could be brought back to Houston as early as next week to face a murder charge."

The motive for the murder remains under investigation.

Vogt attended Cinco Ranch High School. Said Chief Deputy Craig Brady: "It's my understanding that he was an outstanding student. He had a good reputation with the faculty and had numerous friends at school."

A police news conference on the case, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Katy is where I grew up. I knew this kid. How terrible.

I wasn't expecting to get on here today and see the picture of a guy I knew and learn he'd been murdered.

Posted by: Eric | Apr 6, 2009 11:43:06 AM

2. His brother Austin was one of my good friends back in high school. Spencer was made fun of a lot in school because he was deaf and gay. You're in a better place now Spencer.

R.I.P.

My thoughts go out to the Vogt family, and the whole Cinco community who have been very supportive during this tragedy.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 6, 2009 11:44:10 AM

3. This is really awful and it seems like everyday I get a new reason to stay far away from internet dating.

People are really scary. I just can't wrap my mind around how someone could murder another person, especially someone they didn't even know. Sick.

Posted by: Johnny | Apr 6, 2009 12:29:24 PM

4. Hey Eric. I live in Katy. Although I didn't know the Vogt I remember seeing him online many times a couple of years ago. He seemed like an interesting character. We talked a little. Seeing him on the news saturday night was disheartening. On Thursday my school's GLBTA club meets. I hardly talk during the meetings but I'm pressed to talk to the class about the dangers of meeting people online.

Upon learning that I was using gay social networking sites my mother warned me "you better be careful or you'll end up dead in a ditch". That was 4 years ago and I scoffed at her. Now the possibility is very real to me.

Posted by: D.C | Apr 6, 2009 1:02:22 PM

5. This case is another reason to exercise caution when dealing with people you meet online. The perp may be a homophobe who used the boards to find a victim.

Frankly I am surprised this kind of violence does not happen more often.

Posted by: Anthony in Nashville | Apr 6, 2009 1:14:49 PM

6. Anthony, this kind of violence DOES happen more often than we know, we just don't hear about every incident. If you do a quick search you'll see this type of thing has happened several times in the past year alone.

I've said it from the very beginning, internet hook-ups are like playing Russian Roulette: the more you play the greater your chances of something going terribly wrong. It's better to take your time and get to know someone in person than go for a quick fix with an anonymous stranger on the internet and end up dead.

Posted by: Matty | Apr 6, 2009 1:30:20 PM

7. I'm shocked! The picture posted of Vogt has intelligence written all over it!

Posted by: Ann Coulter | Apr 6, 2009 3:04:33 PM

8. This is a tragedy. But as I said before, you're likelier to wind up on a slab from food poisoning than hooking up online. But don't eat bacon raw, nonetheless.

Posted by: TANK | Apr 6, 2009 3:20:28 PM

9. The Chronicle today reported that the killer says that he shot Spencer because he wanted his car.

Guys - spread the word to be really careful. Moms wouldn't want their straight daughters to meet guys online, our gay sons are just as precious. And some Mom don't know they have a gay son who needs to be warned.

Posted by: Mom | Apr 9, 2009 12:27:59 PM

10. Seeing him on the news saturday night was disheartening. On Thursday my school's GLBTA club meets. I heavy talk during the meetings but I'm pressed to talk to the class about the dangers of meeting people online.

Posted by: automotive tools | Sep 9, 2010 3:48:41 AM