Gay Marriage | Gay Rights | Howard Stern | News

Howard Stern: We Must Make Gay Marriage Acceptable

Howard Stern issued a strong message of support for gay people on his show today, in only the way Howard can. I've edited out some of the dirty bits, but here is some of it:

Stern "My feeling about gay people is that we have a responsibility not only to make gay marriage acceptable and to make gays feel accepted as much as heterosexuals...Gay people are downtrodden They are beaten. They are abused for their sexuality, and it goes across race. In the white community and the black community gay people are the bastards of the world. And in order for things to change, because any one of you could have gay children, or gay relatives, or gay friends...we have a responsibility to make this acceptable, to get all this bullshit so that some gay kid going to high school doesn't get the shit beaten out of him just because he's gay...I'm as heterosexual as they come. What is this hang-up about gay marriage? Who cares? Get on with your life!"

Listen to the unedited clip (warning; some language NSFW), AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I don't care what anyone says. Howard says it like it is. Always has been a supporter of gays (even in dark humor). It's great that he said this, it's too bad it was on satellite radio and not the wider reaching aspects of FM radio.

Posted by: mak136 | Apr 29, 2009 5:03:05 PM

2. Amen....preach it Howard, preach the truth!!!

Posted by: RB | Apr 29, 2009 5:05:15 PM

3. It may have been on satellite radio but it's Howard f-ing Stern so it will get picked up!

Posted by: Frank | Apr 29, 2009 5:19:29 PM

4. hell yeeeeah

Posted by: liz templin | Apr 29, 2009 5:21:09 PM

5. Thanks Howie!!

Posted by: AJ | Apr 29, 2009 5:32:41 PM

6. Yes, have a look at You Tube and the young kids discussing their thoughts of suicide because they are gay.....and there are other kids posting encouraging messages to get them through their anxieties.....kids in their teens, for fuck's sake ! These are the vulnerable ones that Bachman et al don't give a shit about. What fucking assholes in the Republican party! Sorry my fellow blogers, I'm mad as hell and going psycho.

Posted by: hephaistion | Apr 29, 2009 5:38:32 PM

7. I love Howard, Robin and Artie and the whole show. I've been a fan for years and this is one reason why.

Posted by: Marco | Apr 29, 2009 5:57:36 PM

8. Howard is a great guy.

Posted by: Bill | Apr 29, 2009 5:57:47 PM

9. Howard is great.

He had been a vocal advocate for civil-marriage equality for years.

We have Stern, Perez Hilton and Judge Judy.

Posted by: Herbo | Apr 29, 2009 5:58:58 PM

10. Howard's great

always been a fan of his show

Posted by: steve | Apr 29, 2009 6:03:58 PM

11. Been a fan since DC101 and still am.

Stern Rocks!

Posted by: Hoss | Apr 29, 2009 8:53:40 PM

12. Howard really is great. I SO wish he didn't hide himself behind a pay-wall. I know he made millions, but his is a voice sorely needed. He's always been fair and deeply honest towards gay people- he treats them like anyone else, and i applaud him.

Posted by: Severine | Apr 29, 2009 9:03:33 PM

13. He's the reason I'm listening to Out Q on Sirius. Big Fan here- He could get a little annoying but so can Frank Decaro and Derek and ROmaine

Posted by: frank | Apr 29, 2009 9:08:41 PM

14. a pro gay people atheist

What isn't there to love about Howard?

Oh, and he is rich to

Posted by: jimmyboyo | Apr 29, 2009 9:09:44 PM

15. and prithee, do you know any 'anti-gay people atheists'? maybe because THERE AREN'T ANY. We're all pro-gay, some of us are even gay ourselves.

Posted by: Blake | Apr 29, 2009 10:42:28 PM

16. In my experience, atheists are VERY cool, and, ironically, more moral and ethical than the majority of religion-believing people.

This is gonna sound weird, but I'm a huge fan of atheists even though I'm not technically one myself. I just don't see someone else's atheism as at all incompatible with my own beliefs. I otherwise see rationalism being so important for creating a peaceful, happy, and healthy world.

Anyway, Stern's comments are much appreciated. In years past I found him, well, crude; but apparently he definitely deeply understands certain things.

Posted by: BHR | Apr 29, 2009 11:17:47 PM

17. And, really, this isn't even new....Stern has been beating this drum for months now, and that's a great thing. He often rants about homophobia and narrow-mindedness regarding homosexuality. I can bet he's changed (or at least awakened) some minds.

Good for him!

Posted by: Brianr54 | Apr 30, 2009 1:09:25 AM

18. Howard is a great guy? Give me a break. Howard Stern, like Jerry Springer, was one of these media sleazeballs who promoted the "lesbians are hot, gay guys are not-so-hot" notion in the 90's. It's a notion that played right into the hands of homophobes who vote against our rights at the ballot box. Howard's attitude to female-female sexuality was highly insulting and trivializing, reducing it to the level of the sleazy straight guy fantasy/fetish. I can't think of anything that is more accommodating of those who vote against our rights.

Keep in mind that those men who think "lesbians are hot/gay guys are gross" are not on the side of gay rights. They are not on our side. They view lesbianism as an extension of their patriarchal demands. Along with this demand comes the notion that gay men (unlike lesbians) not be allowed to kiss in public. If you think that this is good for our community, you need to get your head checked.

So, in a nutshell, my advice to Stern is this: fuck off. You are NOT wanted by my community. You are one of these liberal sleazeballs who accommodated homophobia with the aforementioned examples. Take a hike, Howard.

Posted by: jason | Apr 30, 2009 1:45:00 AM

19. Jason, from your words I almost sense that there's a media-supported bisexual double standard, perhaps supported by liberals. Please elaborate.

And when you do, could you explain what defines a narcissist personality? That's another issue I feel hasn't been touched on nearly enough lately on this blog.

Posted by: Paul R | Apr 30, 2009 3:57:18 AM

20. A new day is dawning.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 30, 2009 6:34:44 AM

21. Marriage is a very delicate topic to be discussed. Every side has his/her own POV's. Even my guildmate in world of warcraft is planning to marry a guildmate (I just dunno if it's just in-game) but they are having doubts due to discrimination.

Posted by: warcraft gold | Apr 30, 2009 6:50:20 AM

22. Never cared for Stern, but he won new respect from me for this stand. Thanks Howard.

Posted by: Paul in Marietta GA | Apr 30, 2009 8:51:28 AM

23. @WARCRAFT GOLD -- true, but whenever anyone talks to me about 'POV' or 'Opinion' I remind them that my RIGHTS are not subject to their 'Opinion'.

Good for Howard!
    Cheers!
    I find him fascinating -- he is a classic Jewish liberal intellectual in puerile Shock-Jock clothing.

Posted by: Strepsi | Apr 30, 2009 9:11:06 AM

24. Right on, Howard.

Posted by: Mara | Apr 30, 2009 9:55:19 AM

25. Jason,

You might have a better argument if Howard Stern only trivialized gay sexuality, but he doesn't. He is equally exploitative of heterosexuals; maybe even more so.

For example, he often brings straight women in to the studio, and he and his male crew vote on whether they're "hot" enough to get free implants. That doesn't sound like he's reserving respect for the heterosexuals.

This is the kind of thing he's built his career on. You might not like his act, but you can't deny that he's an equal opportunity offender.

And if we're really honest, we have to admit that gays have been trivializing their own sexuality for years. The "sleazy straight guy fantasy/fetish" is pretty much on par with some of the sexual fetishes within the gay community: Bears, Twinks, Daddies, Lipstick lesbians . . . all preferences that center at least intially, on little more than physical attributes.

All fetishes, gay or straight, do the same thing: they strip humanity from the equation. We all do this, every community. It doesn't always have to be gay or straight. Some behaviors are just human.

Don't miss the larger point here, which is that a straight voice with many listeners is pushing for the same thing you are.

Posted by: April | Apr 30, 2009 12:39:03 PM