Gay Marriage | Log Cabin Republicans | Meghan McCain | News | Republican Party

Meghan McCain on Gay Marriage, Log Cabin, and the GOP

Meghan McCain, the daughter of Senator John McCain, has a column in today's Daily Beast discussing her recent statements in support of marriage equality and her upcoming speaking engagement at the Log Cabin Republican convention.

Mccain Says McCain: "I am a woman who despises labels and boxes and stereotypes. Recently, I seemed to have rocked a few individuals within my party by saying that I am a pro-life, pro-gay-marriage Republican. So if anyone is still confused, let me spell it out for you. I believe life begins at conception and I believe that people who fall in love should have the option to get married. Lest we forget, our founding document, the Declaration of Independence, grants the same rights to everyone in this country—'All men are created equal.' If you think certain rights should not apply to certain people, then you are saying those people are not equal. People may always have a difference of opinion on certain lifestyles, but championing a position that wants to treat people unequally isn't just un-Republican. At its fundamental core, it's un-American."

She also has speaks about her party's future: "At the most basic level, sexual orientation should not be a factor in how you are treated. If the Republican Party has any hope of gaining substantial support from a wider, younger base, we need to get past our anti-gay rhetoric."

A Gayer GOP [the daily beast]

McCain's recent appearance on LArry King Live, in which she stated her support for same-sex marriage, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. A heterosexual woman who's more gay-friendly than some gay Republicans (this means you, Gay "Patriot"). Who knew?

Posted by: Attmay | Apr 13, 2009 6:42:34 PM

2. I absolutely love Meghan McCain! She is saying what so many of the under 30 crowd believes to be true! The time is ticking for the republicans, my party, if they continue this battle. The youth of America in BOTH parties don't give a damn that I am gay. The train has left the station and Newt's influence is dwindling!!!

Posted by: RB | Apr 13, 2009 8:31:34 PM

3. I don't think her use of lifestyles is offensive either. It's used in the plural indicating that she KNOWS there is not one singular gay/lesbian/transgendered/bisexual lifestyle.

I respect her stance and her willingness to stand up for it.

Posted by: Bonga | Apr 13, 2009 9:43:35 PM

4. @ Chester

She actually has stated that although she is pro-life she isn't anti-choice. She believes in the freedom for people to choose what's right for themselves. So it's not like she's going to try to back a repeal of Roe vs Wade or anything like that.

I saw her doing the press rounds a few weeks back and I really think that she's a great voice for sane, rational Republicans.

Posted by: David | Apr 13, 2009 10:55:18 PM

5. Let the GOP become a rump. They claim to revere Ronald Reagan but ignore his statement that "someone who agrees with me 80% of the time is my 80% friend and not my 20% enemy". That's why they torpedoed Giuliani; he was not sufficiently anti-abortion. They chose to make 20% enemies. McCain got the nomination because he was the last man standing.

I will never vote for a Democrat, though. I owe them no gratitude for my rights. I was born with my rights; some of them just chose not to stand in the way.

Posted by: Attmay | Apr 14, 2009 3:07:36 AM

6. Chile PHLUEEZZE

Miss Meyhem McInsane meet Boo Boo da Fool Kids regardless of what she will NEVER change the party's PLATFORM. Please stop looking at her with those rose colored glasses Gurlz

Never a Rethuglican! UGH

Posted by: Mister Cee | Apr 14, 2009 7:04:08 AM

7. Actually - in the video interview she says something very interesting, "I - PERSONALLY - am pro life but it's not my place to judge..."

That's the kind of statement you say when you're playing both sides and don't intend to solely support pro life legislation. I know, I used to be a fundamentalist Christian Republican and used to say crap like that all the time to mask liberal views that were unpopular with my conservative friends.

I wouldn't be surprised if she would actually vote pro Choice yet holds anti abortion personal views. Hell, I do. Thank God she's pro gay marriage - and I do believe the person teasing her rhetoric on the use of the word "lifestyle" is being a bit harsh. She's probably not the most savvy when it comes to Queer theory (consider her roots) - in time I'm sure she'll adjust her rhetoric accordingly. In the meantime, one Republican who doesn't make me cringe. Woot!

Posted by: rhetorician | Apr 14, 2009 4:47:35 PM

8. Wow! I think I'm in love! I never thought I hear words that honest come from a Republican. Go Meghan!

Posted by: Christopher | Apr 19, 2009 5:11:19 PM