News | Pageants

Miss California's Big Gay Marriage FAIL

Missusa

Perez Hilton certainly presented a good question to Miss California at last night's Miss USA pageant.

Hilton's question: "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit, why or why not?"

The answer: "Well, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or another. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And, you know what? In my country and in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think that it should be—between a man and a woman. Thank you!"

She didn't win.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

(via boy culture)

Comments

1. Really sad that people applauded her.

Posted by: freska333 | Apr 20, 2009 8:01:08 AM

2. Obviously Miss California is a big supporter of Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

Posted by: glennmcgahee | Apr 20, 2009 8:05:10 AM

3. This bitty's going to be hard pressed to find someone to do hair and makup after that number. Blacklisted.

Posted by: omgyawu | Apr 20, 2009 8:15:21 AM

4. As a member of the Miss California committee who was there to witness Carrie Prejean (the blubbering idiot captured above) compete and ultimately win the title of Miss California in Palm Springs last fall, I can tell you Carrie would be better served working on her own internal shortcomings (like how she treated her fellow competitors, and her diva fits throughout the three day pageant weekend) rather than worrying about two loving people in a committed relationship who most probably treat one another with more respect than I have ever seen this young "lady" treat anyone she's encountered. To say she's been a pill to work with would be putting it mildly, and I can only imagine her equally outspoken, very gay (in a long term relationship) pageant director is none too fond of Ms.Prejean right about now either.

She's so Christlike, she'll tell anyone who will listen about her not so pure run ins with Michael Phelps and every other celebrity she has dated.

Way to represent Cali, Carrie.

November 22 (Date of Miss California 2010) can not get here fast enough!

Posted by: Junior | Apr 20, 2009 8:16:42 AM

5. Why are there still beauty contests?

Posted by: JeffNYC | Apr 20, 2009 8:23:04 AM

6. You can see Perez's disappointment upon her answer. I could not believe a beauty contestant, who knows for a fact that a lot of gays are involved in the beauty pageant biz, would come up with such an answer.

Posted by: marq | Apr 20, 2009 8:24:22 AM

7. Well, she does represent Americans' opinion.

And it doesn't help when "same-sex marriage" works into way into the lexicon. It sounds like a separate stream of rights. "Marriage equality" drives the point home better and makes good Americans really consider their values. "Gay marriage" is not different than "straight marriage".

Perez: fail on the phrasing of that question.

Posted by: freddy | Apr 20, 2009 8:36:11 AM

8. I believe it cost her the crown. She was doing very well up to that point and ended up first runner up.

Oh yeah, and she was booed.

Posted by: sam | Apr 20, 2009 8:43:46 AM

9. Phrasing aside, I'm quite proud of Perez for asking the question. Good for him.

Posted by: JerzeeMike | Apr 20, 2009 8:43:49 AM

10. It's time for some action - I think it's important that we all directly respond to the anti-gay comments showing up on this YouTube video and standing up for who we really are. Times are starting to change a little bit, and these horrible comments are not going un-checked anymore, as they should never be un-checked.

Posted by: Sean Chapin | Apr 20, 2009 8:44:17 AM

11. Well you gotta give her props for being honest and saying it flat out. But that's all you can give her.

BUT she gets F minus minus for her ignorance and prejudice. Something tells me that's the last time they get a Miss California of that opinion and the last time Perez Hilton gets invited to that show; next time they'll get a less politically in-your-face gay like Bruno from DWTS. I'm very disappointed she even got as far as first runner up.

Perez says on his site that she could have been smart and said something like "that's something for states to decide" which would have been more tactful for sure. What pisses me off most is that she said this and kept that pasted-on smile on her face.

Posted by: joe c | Apr 20, 2009 8:58:39 AM

12. Perez's phrasing of the question?

What about the phrasing of Miss C's answer? Not only was the content of her answer stupid, but always the way she said it!!

"ya'll we get to choose between same sex and opposite marriage."

Yea, I know what she meant, but the way she said it, it madee the two sound mutually exclusive (as if in Mass and Vermont straights are no longer allowed to marry). LOL!

Posted by: chris | Apr 20, 2009 9:09:17 AM

13. I think it's a sad commentary that Perez Hilton is a judge of anything.

Posted by: Dan | Apr 20, 2009 9:12:57 AM

14. Obviously not everyone agrees with her answer.

But she answered honestly and now she is getting crap for it. Would you have rather she lied because the judge was gay, so she could win?

It is going to take time to change minds on this issue and not everyone will agree. But I don't think people should be scared shitless to express their views either. I know we don't like to be scared to express our views.

Posted by: Andy | Apr 20, 2009 9:37:05 AM

15. A LOT of people cheered for this answer, and the applause lasted from when she left the microphone until the hosts began speaking again. That was a lot scarier than some random Barbie's oh-so-clearly-informed opinion and answer. And this shit was held in VEGAS!!! We all know how convervative those Nevadans are when it comes to even "opposite marriage," as Ms. Prejean likes to call it...

PS I just have to say Miss Arizona's answer was totally retarded ("It's about INTEGRITY!!!" lol) and failed to address the question COMPLETELY, yet she still placed 3rd. Uh, yeah.

Posted by: Ugh | Apr 20, 2009 9:42:14 AM

16. "I think it's a sad commentary that Perez Hilton is a judge of anything."

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing.

I also don't mind that Miss California said what she said. Prejudice should be displayed center stage under a follow spot, so that all of America can see how repugnant it is. The fact that she was booed, and the fact that she lost, shows how holding on to idiotic bigotry is really starting to hurt the bigot in substantive ways.

Posted by: The Milkman | Apr 20, 2009 9:42:51 AM

17. @Junior Screw the rest of this discussion, I'm more interested in what she had to say about hooking up with Michael Phelps.

Posted by: Joel | Apr 20, 2009 9:46:04 AM

18. What a cunt. I'm very glad she didn't win.

Posted by: Jeffrey | Apr 20, 2009 9:57:17 AM

19. I'm Joel. I wanna know more about what a diva this heiffer is!

Posted by: Tralfaz | Apr 20, 2009 10:02:17 AM

20. I can just about expect the Mormon Church to be calling her to be their spokesperson. Just wait.

But I agree, she has a right to say what she wants (that's the USA) and I applaud her bigotry being displayed in the full spotlight. Bring it into the light and let it wither.

Posted by: B-rod | Apr 20, 2009 10:09:04 AM

21. It is not easy to tell from this crappy video, but she did NOT get boo'd! There may have been a couple in there but watching it live on actual TV, it was clear the audience roar was in approval and not condemnation. You guys saying "Oh well, at least she got boo'd" are wrong. (Not to harp on this point or anything, I was just shocked at the audience's response last night and remember it clearly.)

Posted by: Ugh | Apr 20, 2009 10:18:17 AM

22. "Well, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or another. Um, we live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And, you know what? In my country"

LOL

I'm not sure which is funnier, her lack of knowledge that we are 'able to choose' or that CA is not a country. Idiot. Who watches this shit anymore?

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 20, 2009 10:18:23 AM

23. The boos came after the applause in response to it.

Posted by: Chris | Apr 20, 2009 10:55:55 AM

24. Oh yeah, 5 boos after 80% of the audience cheered and clapped for 25 seconds. Woo-hoo, they sure showed that Miss California!

Posted by: Ugh | Apr 20, 2009 11:02:48 AM

25. don't just voice your opinion here, where you're ostensibly preaching to the choir. Reach out to her.... contact her on facebook. She has both a fan page and a personal page.

Posted by: johnnylee | Apr 20, 2009 11:05:53 AM