Crime | News | Oklahoma

BigGayDeal.com

Oklahoma City Targets Men in 'Homosexual Activity' Sex Stings

Knight

Sergeant Gary Knight (above)of the Oklahoma City Police Department took to the internet to discuss sending undercover cops into areas of suspected homosexual activity in order to arrest men, and then post their mugshots in a gallery for all to see.

The Oklahoman reports: "Ten years later, police admit they can’t physically stop the men from going to Hobie Point any more than they can stop prostitutes from frequenting areas along S Robinson."

Said Sgt. Jennifer Wardlow: "I can’t say whether five years from now whether it will be the same. We are proactive in our approach in trying to eliminate this. We want them to be able to go there and take their family and not have to worry about this kind of activity. And we are pleased to be able to take these individuals off the streets.”

As in most of these types of busts, the men arrested likely don't identify themselves as gay.

Watch Knight, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'll save you some time. The first pic in the gallery is the only half decent one there. And #12 and #17 are the same guy...guess the first pickup didn't dissuade him.

Posted by: john | Apr 27, 2009 9:17:17 AM

2. Can we be honest about something here? Those guys are hideous. There is a reason they troll parks for anonymous sex with strangers. If the first guy isn't HIV+ then I must have learned nothing in my 39 years and seeing friends die from AIDS.

These men give the entire gay community a bad name. It's wrong for the police to target one segment of the population but I wish they would clear the parts of this bullshit. There are plenty of bars these guys could go to and hook up...with other guys who are just as desperate.

Posted by: Mike | Apr 27, 2009 9:26:03 AM

3. It's refreshing to read points I agree with that I thought I would be slammed for expressing. While I do not like the fact that it is the homosexual male crowd that is being targeted, let's face it guys, I DON'T BLAME THEM. It is ridiculous that gay men are using public parks for sex, I wouldn't like it if it were straight men, this isn't a gay or straight issue. This is a decency and self respect issue. Leave it at home. The excuse that homophobia, et al is driving these people to have closeted trysts is ludicrous, maybe a decade ago, but even then you're still risking the spread of STD's and ruining a public place. It's sad.

Posted by: CJ | Apr 27, 2009 9:40:18 AM

4. I agree with you guys, this sort of thing really does not need to be going on in a public park I mean, haven't these fellas heard of Manhunt?

Posted by: timmany | Apr 27, 2009 9:44:59 AM

5. Okay fine, we're educated, upptiy queens who've never cruised. Cause we're out, live in metropolitian cities and aren't "hideous" (Mike).

But I have to question:

A) If this place was called "make-out point" like you see in all the movies of the 50's--or some movie drive-in like the days of "Grease"--if these where heterosexual couples making out on blankets or humping in the woods--would they be hounded by the local police?

B) Is this ANY better than cruising online? (Eye roll to anyone who says they haven't been pa-"trolling" on A4A, Manhunt or Craigslist. They got busted (well deserved) for public lewdness--but why are WE casting stones?

Is it shady? Sure. Unsafe? You, bet. But they are targeting homo's, or people who engage in homosexual activity. And in the eyes of the police or the conservative right, there is no difference between us.

Posted by: Mammarice | Apr 27, 2009 9:56:33 AM

6. MAMMARICE. I wouldn't care if it were the heterosexual community of the homosexual community they were targeting. Sexual activity has no place in parks and public bathrooms. The issue with your argument "if these where heterosexual couples making out on blankets or humping in the woods--would they be hounded by the local police?" falls apart as the heterosexual community isn't engaging in full on sex in the middle of parks late at night, leaving used condoms in places were parents and children play. Making out if one thing, bending over and having someone spit in your ass is another. Take it home, or to a car if you must, there are lots of others places for this sort of thing. Something also tells me most of them just like the thrill of screwing outdoors and possibly getting caught. To paraphrase Ms Houston, "it's not right, and it's not ok"

Posted by: CJ | Apr 27, 2009 10:04:08 AM

7. Yes, they're "hideous" so they deserve to be publicly shamed... Self-righteous queens.

Oklahoma faces much more serious problems like high rates of child neglect, but police aren't putting pictures of strung out, neglectful parents online. The issue is really one of priorities. Yes, it's unseemly to have sex in public, but go to a drive-in movie theater any night this summer and you'll find heterosexual teenagers doing the same thing in their cars. The point is that it's consensual, despite being inappropriate, and punishment should not involve placement on a public sex registry.

Posted by: Brent | Apr 27, 2009 10:04:26 AM

8. and another point, why is it always men who are caught in these types of acts? Lesbians are just as segregated, why aren't they screwing in public parks late at night if they can't have committed relationships? I don't know, maybe they're too busy bringing u-hauls to first dates and building things...

...and excuse my typos, the "of"'s should have been "or"'s

Posted by: CJ | Apr 27, 2009 10:07:34 AM

9. A) News stories about heterosexual couples caught humping in the woods are unlikely to be reposted on this site.

B)It is unusual (though not unheard of) for parents to take their kids to Manhunt or Craigslist for a picnic or a lazy afternoon of kite-flying.

&

We "cast stones" at these particular men not because they are having themselves a good time, but rather because they purposely choose to cruise in public parks because it is risky and/or because they are compulsively exhibitionist.

&

The "conservative right" views us as nothing more than a useful "other." While most of these men are probably sex addicts of no particular orientation, you're right--they don't differentiate so we're better off when men aren't getting caught humping in the woods.

Posted by: timmany | Apr 27, 2009 10:18:09 AM

10. What these men are doing is illegal and unneccessary. If the police were raiding homes or clubs, there'd be a story here.

This is 2009...what is the excuse for what these guys are doing? Are they married men on the down low? Good, bust em. Are they too stupid to know how to work a computer to meet someone and then go somewhere private?

Or are they just homeless and horny? That's about the only excuse I can think of that would make me feel sorry for them in any way.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 27, 2009 10:31:43 AM

11. Okay yoiu sexually repressed prissy little queens. Can WE ACTUALLY LOOK AT THIS STORY FOR WHAT IT IS? The OK City Police Department Targeting Gay men for easy busts to look good?

Okalahome City has one of the WORST crime rates in the country compared to all communities of all sizes - from the smallest towns to the very largest cities. One's chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime here is one in 10. Within Oklahoma, more than 90% of the communities have a lower crime rate than Oklahoma City.

So they go out and byst some cocksuckers in the woods. Make a few headlines and look better at the expense of some guys who are having fun in the woods. SEX is a NON VIOLENT Crime. Oklahoma City has MUCH more to worry about than some guys getting mosquito bites on thier asses.

You may not agree with Sex Outdoors BUT you shoudl at least be miffed that they are picking on gay men as an easy target while they have much worse problems at hand to look good.

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 27, 2009 10:54:15 AM

12. In time we can measure the success of this "sting program" in the number of Suicides which come as a result of its' HIGH PROFILE picture and name in the paper type of prosecution!! Christ you would think this was the 50's and 60's all over again!

Posted by: alex in boston | Apr 27, 2009 11:00:52 AM

13. I completely agree with Jeff.

"If this place was called "make-out point" like you see in all the movies of the 50's--or some movie drive-in like the days of "Grease"--if these where heterosexual couples making out on blankets or humping in the woods--would they be hounded by the local police?" NO!!!

Posted by: Bill | Apr 27, 2009 11:10:04 AM

14. Here come the gay sex police again. You guys just don't get it, do you?

Just for the record, I am not hideous, I have a PhD, I teach queer theory (among other things), and I love cruising parks and think the police should mind their own business.

Sex-negative queers should mind their own business too.

Posted by: KevinVT | Apr 27, 2009 11:22:16 AM

15. I actually thought those guys were pretty hot. Especially the first one. Andy, could you also please post their email addresses and their phone numbers and maybe their Manhunt screen names so if any of us want to hook up with them the next time we're in Oklahoma we can? Thanks, doll.

Posted by: gwyneth cornrow | Apr 27, 2009 11:53:18 AM

16. @Jeff - Setting up a sting of suckers too stupid to control their own behavior is not restricted to gays. Ever heard of speed traps?

When there's an area that I know is a speed trap, I slow down so I don't get busted. Then I go back to speeding!

Unfortunately these people are too stupid to consider going somewhere more secluded for their sleazy trysts.

@KevinVT - Parks are PUBLIC property. What you do in them is not your private business, it's PUBLIC business. What you do on your own PRIVATE property is another matter.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 27, 2009 12:31:34 PM

17. Umm, guys. They also target the prostitution areas. This not just about gay men having sex in parks. They want to make the place presentable to all people.

KevinVT, you are hideous. Only you and your fellow wood trolls think otherwise.

Jeff, I'm not pissed off that they are targeting gay men. STOP BEING A TARGET. They are not raiding gay bars. They are not breaking down the doors of private homes.

Jesus,guys. Have some fucking respect for yourself.

Posted by: Michael | Apr 27, 2009 12:52:02 PM

18. The Stepford Fags on this thread are as uptight as Miss California. Go push a stroller all day long, gush about their 'husband', wash your A&F in Tide Total Care in your Bosch washers, bide their time til the'husband' falls asleep so you can log onto Manhunt.

I'll be sucking cock in the park- out of sight from both the cops and your IVF children.

Posted by: dc8stretch | Apr 27, 2009 1:09:14 PM

19. Damn, these days it's getting REALLY hard for a "straight" man to get his weenie sucked by another guy. I guess being in the closet and leading a double-life CAN get you busted.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | Apr 27, 2009 1:15:53 PM

20. Cruising does not happen in PUBLIC, which you would know if you ever did it.

Prostitution should probably be legalized, too, so I'm not going to take that as a useful analogy.

Speed traps are meant to stop something that is a REAL danger to people.

Cruising in parks is a hazard to no one and a crackdown on it is ONLY about stigmatizing gay people, though many of you have been brainwashed into going along with it. No doubt you also think we should not have leather guys or drag queens at pride parades because it makes us look bad.

Posted by: KevinVT | Apr 27, 2009 1:29:16 PM

21. I think the issue is not that they are trying to clear the park of lewd activity, it's the fact that they have created a website with photos to publicly humiliate those who are caught, because they are gay or seeking gay sexual activity. If they are also targeting high prostitution areas, where is the website with pictures to publicly humiliate the heterosexual prostitutes and their johns?

Posted by: REM HOU | Apr 27, 2009 2:54:54 PM

22. KEVINVT, Bravo, i completely agree with you! Men have been cruising the woods since time immemorial. And it will probably NEVER stop. Men get horny and want quick, anonymous release. It can be too complicated on line for these guys. And yes, many are 'straight' men who probably just want a better BJ than their wife gives, if she'll give one at all.
    And to the person who is complaining about condoms on the ground: THANK GOD they are using them! Sure, we'd all prefer them to pick it up, but at least they're using them! This world is never going to be your 'Utopia!'

Posted by: Mr. E | Apr 27, 2009 3:12:15 PM

23. Sorry, guys. It's really hard for me to work up any sympathy for married closet cases.

This might have been an outrage in the 1970s when gay men had no other recourse, but nowadays it's just very ... McGreevey.

Posted by: Meanwhile | Apr 27, 2009 3:32:50 PM

24. The posters who advocate for moral nihilism and the personal morality of a drugged teenage prostitute ("Hey I'm gay and moral standards are so heterosexist and only for 'Stepford' gays") are Godsends for the homophobes and bigots to exploit as tawdry examples. I have yet to hear a convincing argument for the proposition that same-sex attraction means a license to do anything, anywhere sans civilized limits. What I do hear is: I am gay and horny and I will act like a spoiled irresponsible adolescent if I want to". Well, then take your chances with John Law, cause I won't weep for you.

Posted by: Contrarian | Apr 27, 2009 3:40:50 PM

25. "...these where heterosexual couples making out on blankets or humping in the woods--would they be hounded by the local police?" falls apart as the heterosexual community isn't engaging in full on sex in the middle of parks late at night, leaving used condoms in places were parents and children play."

If you were a voyeur you'd know that statement is a silly lie. Straight people don't even try to hide in the bushes--they fuck where a passerby can see them. Believe me, I know. Alternative (and to some "freaky" sexual activity is what kept me HIV negative through the 80s & 90s.

And as far as being "hideous". I've seen guys in the parks who were fine as hell--many did not consider themselves gay (that's why they were in the park). And I've seen some at "acceptable" gay meeting venues who looked like shit.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Apr 27, 2009 4:02:49 PM