Crime | Matthew Shepard | News | North Carolina

Rep. Virginia Foxx: Matthew Shepard Murder Not a Hate Crime

Foxx

Some ugly things are being said in the House debate of the federal hate crimes bill (the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act aka the Matthew Shepard Act) right now on C-SPAN. North Carolina GOP Congresswoman Virginia Foxx said that it's a "hoax" that Matthew Shepard's murder was motivated by his sexual orientation.

Watch it, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. More stupidity from the known liars at Media Matters?

Don't you know better than that, Andy Towle?

However mistaken Rep. Foxx may be about the motives of Shepard's murderers, there is nothing in the statement at the end of Media Matters little video that demonstrates she is mistaken.

Luring a gay man out with a story about being gay yourself would aid any criminal regardless of his motive and intended crime.

If your going to blog about "ugly things" said in the course of a debate over legislation, you need to back up your assertions with things more sensible than this bit of Media Matters nonsense.

Posted by: David C | Apr 29, 2009 5:47:45 PM

2. Valerie - Shut the fuck up and spaming this board.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Apr 29, 2009 5:49:50 PM

3. and fuck you too David C. Fucking right wing ass kisser.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Apr 29, 2009 5:53:40 PM

4. bitter, twisted, ignorant, bigoted and insensitive. Oh, and may I add stupid fucking asshole to my description of her too?

Posted by: CK | Apr 29, 2009 6:01:18 PM

5. I don't suppose there is a fund in existence for flying the lovely Judy Shepard to Congress, so that Virginia Foxx may share her valuable insights face-to-face?

Posted by: PM | Apr 29, 2009 6:16:30 PM

6. Judy Shepard already testified in Congress about this a few times.

Foxx knew the bill was going to pass, so she positioned her statements more for their effect back home than for effect on the "debate". This is about Baptist $$$ raising.

Posted by: anon | Apr 29, 2009 6:19:34 PM

7. And there she is ladies and gentlemen - the poster cunt of everything morally and ethically wrong in the GOP. Don't be afraid. Step right up. She's as harmless as Lorena Bobbit.....

Posted by: mark | Apr 29, 2009 6:25:14 PM

8. That was one of the most disgusting things I have ever seen. Why is this woman in office?

Posted by: markl | Apr 29, 2009 6:25:23 PM

9. RB too little too late. If it's taken you this long, then you're part of the problem. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Posted by: hank | Apr 29, 2009 6:57:08 PM

10. Thanks Hank....now kiss my ass!

Posted by: RB | Apr 29, 2009 7:00:26 PM

11. I was going to email her, but I doubt she can read or that she would comprehend my message.

If there is a God, this woman will burn in hell.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Apr 29, 2009 7:25:52 PM

12. I tried writing her an email but I kept getting so angry that I used infantile language. She is quite possibly on of the worst examples of a humanbeing I have even laid eyes on. I have relatives that live in Boone and I told them that as long as she is their representative I would not step foot in their town. My money would not go towards anything that she could benefit from.

Posted by: scott | Apr 29, 2009 7:34:32 PM

13. This is what I wrote to her--

Representative Foxx:
    Before you refer to something as serious and sad as Matthew Shepard's tragic murder as a "hoax" you should get your facts straight. If you do just a little bit of research you will learn how wrong you are and that you owe his family and the good people of this nation an apology. If you have a human heart beating in your chest you will do so. Then I would suggest doing some volunteer work for a gay and lesbian youth organization and calling the press to give you lots of coverage. Maybe, just maybe, at that point some people will forgive you. I don't think I ever can.

Posted by: Enidguy | Apr 29, 2009 8:05:23 PM

14. People like this woman dismantle my spirit. But then, stupid is an unfortunate human attribute that I fear our species will never be rid of.

Posted by: Tom | Apr 29, 2009 8:50:15 PM

15. I read this - and was "blank" at first. Speechless. Had to read it again and one more time after. I couldn't make myself listen to it. As a father of two, I can't imagine reading/hearing this if it had happened to one of my children. "Russ" (up above) put it best - and thanks for posting her phone numbers. Hopefully, she'll rot in the hot sun somewhere, someday.

Posted by: TyInTenn | Apr 29, 2009 9:31:23 PM

16. people like her disgust me

Posted by: Amy Fan | Apr 29, 2009 9:33:48 PM

17. She was Keith Olbermann's Worst Person in the World! Rightfully so.

Posted by: Nick | Apr 29, 2009 10:10:22 PM

18. This is what I emailed to her political site. I encourage you all to voice your opinion as well.

"Your comment on Matthew Shepard's death having been a "hoax" is such outlandish behavior. I have no words to describe the pain I feel for for what you have ultimately put others through from your comment. I am very sorry for you as a person. There are many tears across America and the rest of the world because of you. Perhaps your judgement proves it is time for you to move along and be retired from civil service. What a hoax you are to humanity. What a shame.

Posted by: Tim | Apr 29, 2009 11:26:51 PM

19. I am a 52 year loyal registered Republican, straight-ticket voter (except once for JFK).
    After hearing your stupid blast tonight on the Keith Olbermann program, I am leaving the GOP. I will not be part of an organization that has such a dolt in lead.

Posted by: paul v. lutz | Apr 30, 2009 1:06:42 AM

20. I am leaving the GOP after 52 years of loyal
    straight ticket voting. I don't want to be part of an organization with such a stupid leader. Shame on Virginia Foxx !!

Posted by: paul v. lutz | Apr 30, 2009 1:11:45 AM

21. Keith Olbermann did cover this item. And he did NOT spare her one bit. He ripped her a new one, two, and three a-holes as only he can do. He even brought up the fact that her performance was done with Matthew's Mother in the gallery. His response is definitely worth watching! He so put her in her place. Go Keith!

Posted by: Reggie | Apr 30, 2009 1:53:40 AM

22. This BITCH is stupid PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

Posted by: Mister Cee | Apr 30, 2009 2:59:00 AM

23. If this wasn't a hate crime then what is? Bigots with opinions like her "express" hate crimes by simply stating their hateful and deadly ideas...why is someone like this in the Congress?

Posted by: bill | Apr 30, 2009 10:40:39 AM

24. Lets all be glad the she will be judged on her judgement day and hopefully be turned away for making these awful and nasty comments.

Posted by: Jack | Apr 30, 2009 11:19:07 AM

25. I left a message on her office voice mail saying how thankful I was not to be a resident of her state and how disrespectful I thought the comment was. I mentioned that I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt and requested a call back to hear why she said this murder was a hoax. Will see if she or someone in her office even bothers.

Posted by: Kristoffer | Apr 30, 2009 12:17:15 PM