Gay Parents | Kevin Sessums | New York | News | Rupert Everett | Theatre

Rupert Everett Wonders Why He Sits 'Unf*cked' in His Hotel Room

Our theatre critic Kevin Sessums interviews Rupert Everett for The Daily Beast (he's back on Broadway in a revival of Noel Coward's Blithe Spirit with Angela Lansbury.

Everett1 Given Everett's recent profile in the NYT and this new one, entitled "Rupert Everett Unleashed", one wonders if Rupert Everett is ever leashed. I don't think so.

Here's what he has to say about gays who want to be parents:

"I think this surrogacy thing is crap. It is utterly hideous. I think it’s egocentric and vain. And these endless IVF treatments people go through. I mean, if you are meant to have babies then great. But this whole idea of two gay guys filling a cocktail shaker with their sperm and impregnating some grim lesbian and then it gets cut out is just really weird. If I did have the impulse to be a parent, I would adopt—or foster. But this whole thing of forcing the idea of parenthood on us gay men is so bogus. Marriage? Babies? Please. I want to be illegal. I want to live outside the mainstream."

Everett believes his wish to be outside of the mainstream puts him "ahead of the curve."

"These awful middle-class queens—which is what the gay movement has become—are so tiresome. It’s all Abercrombie & Fitch and strollers. Everybody has the right to do what they want to do, but still..."

As in his NYT profile, Everett also bemoans the state of being out and gay in Hollywood:

Everett2 "But the reason my career is so up and down is that I get very little opportunity. There is just very little opportunity for a fag. That’s the reality. There isn’t. But I have no regrets for being out. None. It’s not like I’m missing out on that much. Being an actor in Hollywood is not that great a job anymore. It’s become the sluttiest job on the planet. It’s not remotely serious. It’s not like we’re talking about Hollywood in the 1970s that I’m missing out on. If we were talking about ‘70s Hollywood, then I’d be killing myself because the product back then was so astonishing even though it was still thought of as commercial cinema."

And he wonders why he sits in his room "unfucked" while some "buffoon" like Vanity Fair editor Graydon Carter gets all the sex:

"I was once staying at a hotel and I was in the room directly under his. He is an amazing fuck. And you can quote me on this. The screams coming from the woman were some of the purest sounds of pleasure I’d ever heard. And there I was sitting alone in my room unfucked. Suddenly it all made sense. That messy hair of his that I always thought was buffoon hair was buffoon hair hiding a monster cock. The next day I went down to breakfast and Graydon came in and I thought to myself, well, now I understand why you are always acting so entitled and walking on air even though you’re rather fat. It’s because grazing the grass between your legs is this appendage of yours. I did rather politely tell him that morning that I thought he was a very good fuck."

Video interviews with the cast of Blithe Spirit, AFTER THE JUMP...

Rupert Everett Unleashed [the daily beast]
(top image robert j saferstein/broadway world)

Comments

1. Wow - he seems really unhappy. And his lack of understanding about equal rights is dumbfounding.

Posted by: John | Apr 6, 2009 8:01:39 AM

2. Love Rupert uncensored, LOL.

I gay couple I know claimed they did surrogacy because it was cheaper than adoption.

I find surrogacy for anyone problematic because there are so many unwanted kids out there.

Posted by: qjersey | Apr 6, 2009 8:04:46 AM

3. how he continues to find any work is beyond me - a sad and pathetic case.

Posted by: niles | Apr 6, 2009 8:12:51 AM

4. I think he'd have a better chance of getting laid if he shut the fuck up.

Posted by: Movement Guy | Apr 6, 2009 8:14:32 AM

5. Amen, Movement Guy--he's a good actor, and nice looking, but with an attitude like that, it's no wonder he's not getting laid. I guess I would hit it, if I could stick my underwear in his mouth, so I wouldn't have to listen to him prattle on...

Posted by: troschne | Apr 6, 2009 8:18:22 AM

6. Every time I read an interview with him, I feel sorry for him. I don't think it's the fact he's gay that keeps him from landing jobs. It's the fact that he's obnoxious and arrogant and just comes across as being so much better than everyone else. Who the hell wants to work with someone who looks down his nose at the whole thing. If he had a level of indie success, I'd at least understand it, but he doesn't even have that!

Posted by: DR | Apr 6, 2009 8:21:20 AM

7. As one of the 'middle-class queens', with Abercrombie & Fitch gym shorts, and yes, a stroller, I wonder who's happier... this bitter 'out' actor who isn't getting the roles he thinks he deserves, or those of us who have gone mainstream, so to speak, and have the white house, picket fence, and yes, kids.

And to address the slightly judgmental tone that seems to be directed towards those of us who've chosen surrogacy as the route to start a family, you might look a little deeper and see how difficult it is for a gay couple to adopt. Not impossible, though definitely not easier. One of the benefits of surrogacy is being a biological parent, which is important to some of us. Another benefit is just being able to do it without having your sexuality questioned, or prevent you from adopting internationally. If you're out and gay, you're pretty much limited to domestic or DSS adoptions. No foreign country that I know of let's a gay person adopt. If you're going to judge, throw the straight people in there with us, who also have the option to adopt over surrogacy.

As for cost, QJersey, the couple you know said surrogacy is cheaper? Try this: adoption will run you $15,000-$25,000, while surrogacy will cost $50,000-$100,000, with the high end of that range more common. These figures come from personal experience.

Posted by: Fred | Apr 6, 2009 8:22:43 AM

8. *I* don't wonder why he sits unf***ed in his hotel room...

Posted by: John S. Hall | Apr 6, 2009 8:23:26 AM

9. Sperm washing, along with surrogates and baby showers, have all but replaced disco dates. Has the new gay world morphed into the old straight one?

“I think I’m going to have my sperm washed,” a friend said on our drive back to Manhattan from our summer places in Provincetown. What was shocking to me is not this bit of information he slipped into the usual badinage that a couple of homosexuals bat about inside an SUV, but that the term “sperm washing” itself had become so anodyne. Turning and yawning at Connecticut outside the tinted windows, I simply asked when his appointment for the procedure was scheduled at Growing Generations, the surrogacy agency favored by a certain economic stratum of gay men who want to become fathers and prefer the egg donor route to the adoption one.

“Tomorrow,” he said.

This is written by Kevin Sessums; maybe they collaborated to make this piece.

Posted by: You Know Me | Apr 6, 2009 8:23:46 AM

10. wow, he should tell people how he really feels....

Posted by: liz templin | Apr 6, 2009 8:29:31 AM

11. Sad, bitter, pathetic old tiresome queen trying so desperately to be edgy and provocative. Darling, the reason you are perpetually un****ed is that you are a nasty old bitch who has lost his looks and his meager talents. Your "performance" in "Blythe Spirit" is borderline embarrassing; it is simultaneously over-mannered yet dull.

Posted by: rudy | Apr 6, 2009 8:29:36 AM

12. Why should gay parents be forced to take care of all the adopted/foster kids? Straights have had that choice for centuries and still try it, by and large, the natural way. Science is just now catching up and giving gay parents parity.

In related news, Rupert Everett is an asshole. He was hot for a split second when "My Best Friend's Wedding" came out. And then he blew it by letting his true self - a bitter, past-his-prime rentboy - come shining through.

I'll never forget seeing him at Sound Factory several years after his peak in the late 90s. He looked wasted and waxy and sad, bare-chested and just pathetic.

He needs to go away.

Posted by: freddy | Apr 6, 2009 8:36:25 AM

13. How "ahead of the curve" is it to have mutilating facial plastic surgery that leaves you looking not only freakish but totally unlike the person you started out as?

Above criticism for the things he wants to do; dismissive of those who do things he doesn't want to do. Sometimes when you're behind the pack it's easy to convince yourself you're ahead of it.

Let's see - cute actor, early success based on charm, moderately talented, has shock-causing plastic surgery.... I wonder what his version of _The Wrestler_ will be?

Posted by: greg | Apr 6, 2009 8:37:09 AM

14. He exudes a demeanor which would leave me to think that once some bloke finished blowing him he would simply wave his foppish hand and simply say "Away with you"!! Without so much as a reach around or similar service...

Posted by: alex in boston | Apr 6, 2009 8:42:26 AM

15. And She wonder why she isn't getting fucked? Please shut up Bitter barn.

Posted by: Dairyqueen | Apr 6, 2009 8:53:59 AM

16. Ewww. There's nothing as revolting and unattractive as a bitter old queen.

Posted by: consuelodegooch | Apr 6, 2009 8:54:03 AM

17. Can we please just launch him to the moon or something?

Posted by: Aaron | Apr 6, 2009 8:54:09 AM

18. He's nothing but a prissy old queen, fixated on big dick (which means he doesn't have one). I had intended to see his show...but not now.

Posted by: hank | Apr 6, 2009 8:59:06 AM

19. Rupert's been playing the character of the sophisticated, decadent British snob for just a wee bit too long. Evidently he's having trouble separating himself from the role these days. He's appearing in a Noel Coward play, not playing Noel Coward.

Posted by: Jonathan | Apr 6, 2009 9:02:09 AM

20. We're discussing her royal highness and her arsehole so on some level, her verbal vomit is working, LOL. Poor Rupert....go get another facelift!

Posted by: gabe | Apr 6, 2009 9:06:55 AM

21. A spot of self-loathing, anyone?

Blech.

Posted by: johnny | Apr 6, 2009 9:08:10 AM

22. but really now, aside from what everyone here is calling his bitterness- I say right on! How boring to become one of these stroller pushing, cheating on your 'partner' on craigslist Stepford gays. Yuck. I like my gays bitchy, piggy and child-hating.

Posted by: Sam | Apr 6, 2009 9:20:05 AM

23. Bitter, party of one: your table is ready! Bitter, party of one?

Posted by: Patrick | Apr 6, 2009 9:34:36 AM

24. I recently saw him in Blythe Spirit and thought he was pitch-perfect, charming and sexy. If I had known he was sitting in his hotel room "unfucked" I would have thrown myself at him at the stage door!

Posted by: sam | Apr 6, 2009 9:42:03 AM

25. Maybe Rupert goes "un-f*cked" because no one wants to f*ck a bitter old queen. Maybe no producer will hire him because he has gone from "brooding-good-looks" leading man to "oh-my-god-what-has-he-done-to-his-face" Burt Reynolds clone. Didn't I see him in that terrible Star Trek movie where all the bad guys were stretching their faces to stay young?

Posted by: m2mswva | Apr 6, 2009 9:55:35 AM