Spinster Susan Boyle Slaps Cynics with Britain’s Got Talent Audition

Boyle told the Mirror what inspired her to audition:

"I was born with a disability and that made me a target for bullies.
I was called names because of my fuzzy hair and because I struggled in
class. I told the teachers, but because it was more verbal
than physical I could never prove anything. But words often hurt more
than cuts and bruises and the scars are still there. I still see the kids I went to school with because we all live in the same area. They're all grown up with children of their own. But look at me now – I've got the last laugh…Mum loved the show and used to tell me I should put my name down and that I'd win it if I did. But I never thought I was good enough. It was only after she died that I plucked up the courage to enter. It
was a very dark time and I suffered depression and anxiety. But out of
the darkness came light. I realised I wanted to make her proud of me
and the only way to do that was to take the risk and enter the show."

Comments

1. qjersey says

This was extraordinary, now why is it that “America’s Got Talent” has been so lame?

oh yeah, here in America, they’ll only put up non-beautiful people to be laughed at.

2. Patrick says

Thank you for posting this. I teared up at the realization that I wasn’t going to watch some horrible voyeuristic snark, but instead was going to watch a true triumph, and a thing of beauty.

3. Ray says

Nope, can’t say I was expecting that at all. Awesome job. For some reason it made me incredibly happy.

4. notshychirev says

Really lovely, and what a plucky lady. Good on her! She’s got a really attractive medium belt and the vibrato is not off-putting at all. I’ll be intrigued to see what other songs she picks to sing.

5. Chip says

I actually think her vibrato is a tad off-putting, but a wonderful performance and voice, nonetheless.

6. peterparker says

Andy…thanks so much for posting this video. What a sweet, sweet clip! I hope she wins the competition, and I hope you keep us updated.

7. Gary says

“Spinster”? Am I the only one who finds that label offensive? Come on, this is not the 1870’s…

8. PM says

That actually made me a little teary.

I know it was just clever producing, but the video was even sweeter with seeing those girls in the crowd gurning when she says she aspires to be a pro.

9. rudy says

What an Easter treat. A lesson to look and listen with one’s heart. I urge everyone here on T’road to go to youtube now that the clip has been removed. You will be smiling the rest of the day.

10. says

A little work with a singing teacher would help her smooth out that vibrato a little, although I think it was probably more due to nerves than anything. Nicely done.

11. says

She’s a Plain Jane and it’s not easy getting by in this world like that. I am so happy she found recognition for her wonderful singing.

12. Mirta says

I’m so happy for her overall attitude and performance – hope she wins, just like Paul Potts did :) Thumbs up for British audience and jury as well: I dislike the laughs and skepticism they show towards “unattractive” candidates, but they are also on the side of a performer when s/he proves audience’s first impressions to be wrong (like Susan and Paul did) and appreciate their singing better than their looks and background (as often seen elsewhere).

13. Gordon says

just a wee update – folk are now referring to her as Scotland’s Edith Piaf – their stories are distinctly different (!) but I think she has touched many hearts across many countries – over 1.5 million hits on Youtube in just a couple of days, with discussion even that she should appear on American Idol to rival Adam Lambert!! (& no doubt spend less time in make-up…)

It’s homecoming year here in Scotland, so for some 6-7 minutes of streamed video, I think this woman has done more to reach out to the world than Alex Salmond could ever of wished for!

14. Mary says

I hope that she wins. Really beautiful! Good for her…it’s an inspiration to us all to take life by the horns and live it!!

15. djork says

True beauty comes packaged in all manner of ways. Why are people always so surprised? The exterior is the least indicator. Stop all bullying!

16. John Pearce says

This wonderful lady is soon to become an international star!
    At 10 o’clock last night I received a call at my home here in Florida from family in California to get on the web and listen to her. It was worth getting out of bed for!
    Congratulations Sarah Boyle!

17. Wayne Beeman says

Susan,
    Your voice is a surprising gift to the listeners ear, you have what I would consider one of the best female singing voices that I have ever heard in well over 55 years.
    Darling you have no disabilities as you say, you have a great future in singing theme songs, opera, and for movies for whoever you want to sing for!
    Spectacular performance, and the absolutly best luck and future for you,

God Bless,
    Wayne Beeman

18. Dede says

She is a miracle…. a singing miracle in our modern and at the moment
    very messed up world. She gave me hope as to all the ossinilities
    which we all need right now. What happened was a modern day
    fairy tale.. Love you Susan Boyle!

19. BLANCA LUZ RIVAS TORRES says

IS FELICITACIONES DESDE AMERICA
    SOY MEXICANA Y VIVO EN EL PUETO DE VERACRUZ
    HACE 3 DIAS ME ENTERE,LA ESCUCHÉ EN EL NOTICIERO, … ES UNA BELLA VOZ, ES UNA BENDICION DE DIOS TENER ESA VOZ, DIOS A TODOS NOS DA UN TALENTO, OJALA ELLA PUEDA ALCANZAR SUS SUEÑOS, ME GUSTARIA ESCUCHALA INTERPRETAR EL “AVE MARIA”, YA QUE CANTA COMO UN VERDADERO ANGEL. EN HORABUENA. SALUDOS DESDE VERACRUZ.
    ATTE.BLRT