Barack Obama | Global Warming | News | Towleroad Guide to the Tube

BigGayDeal.com

Towleroad Guide to the Tube #467

MORE EQUAL UNION: Activist Sean Chapin launches musical quest to raise money for LGBT civil rights.

420: A younger Barack Obama says the war on drugs has been a failure and advocates decriminalization of marijuana. And here's the story behind 420.

NIKE NAKED RUNNING CAMP: A viral jog to Bear Butte.

COW FARTS: John Boehner cites bovine flatulence to prove that CO2 is harmless to the environment.

For recent Guides to the Tube, click HERE.

Comments

1. where's the writer of the gay chicago newspaper who quoted obama saying he was for gay marriage?

Posted by: rick in robbinsville | Apr 20, 2009 5:02:47 PM

2. actually, when "cows do what they do" they emit methane (CH4, not carbon dioxide, CO2)... he should follow obama's lead and take some time to know what he's talking about before he does talk... And, yes, methane is a greenhouse gas, just like CO2

Posted by: daftpunkydavid | Apr 20, 2009 5:12:35 PM

3. If it were just CO2 plants would be greener since they use that to produce oxygen. Cows (as well as sheep and water buffalo), eating grass and hay, produce methane in their rumen, which is a special stomach. Or lousy politicians like Boehner and Ginrich (who says that no Republican President has ever met with a dictator like Barack has despite pictures of Reagan and Brezhnev, Rummy and Saadam, Nixon and the Chinese Premier) who can't get their facts straight, produce methane by chewing on misdirection and lies. Best to shut the jerk up.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Apr 20, 2009 5:29:36 PM

4. It's not just the surplus of greenhouse gases, but also deforestation from overpopulation and sub-urbanism. Coupled with the increased radiation from the depletion of the ozone layer, we're all screwed. also, it's not simply global warming, but global climate change. Weather patterns are increasingly abnormal and difficult in estimating. Increased hurricanes, storms and other severe weather have added to the severity of the situation. Also, as the ice caps melt, the salinity of the oceans water has severely changed. Denser salt water settles under cooler, newly melted ice water. This cooler ice water is carried down the Atlantic ocean along the oceanic belt and into the warmer regions near the equator. The planet naturally adjusts to any climate change, however while climate change may occur slowly naturally, this rapid change accelerated by human influences is causing the planet to "panic", resulting in the severe weather anomalies currently occurring. With the recent ice shelf that separated, we're FUCKED. It is only a matter of a short time frame that the ocean waters will rise, and you can kiss a lot of the land we live on (especially the coastal areas and midwest) goodbye. That will mean less land and resources for BILLIONS of people.

Ladies and gentlemen, I truly believe life as we know will cease to exist in out lifetimes.

Posted by: CJ | Apr 20, 2009 5:40:14 PM

5. CJ, your computer usage is creating an inordinate amount of greenhouse gas, please do shut it off and turn out your lights permanantly while you're at it.

I think you can save us all if you just set that example.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 20, 2009 8:08:37 PM

6. I just read Dream from My Father, Barack Obama's memoir commissioned after he was the first African-American editor of the Harvard Law Review. The book charts the evolution of Obama's thinking & political philosophy from childhood through mid-20s. I deeply identified with it and recommend the book to anyone because of the quality of writing and the thinking, and the emotion in it. When the book was republished in 2002 after Obama's big hit with his Democratic Convention speech the author added a foreword in which he owned the thinking in the book though thought there'd been evolution since. Is the Obama of Dreams from My Father the man who is now president? No and yes. I want him to be. But he was much more the outsider when he wrote Dreams than he ever will be again and he certainly displays an affinity for insiderness now that he resisted then. Do I think his opinions have changed radically? No. But I do think he has grown ever more cautious, a direction that disappoints me.

Posted by: Glenn I | Apr 20, 2009 8:11:03 PM

7. Paul C, I feel sorry for you. Writing obnoxious, immature quips on Towleroad doesn't make you smart, it just makes it obvious that you're a sad motherfucker. Eat it.

Posted by: CJ | Apr 20, 2009 8:43:45 PM

8. Cj is killing the planet. He refuses to eliminate his greenhouse gas emissions and they are killing all of us.

CJ, I hope you aren't running lights and HVAC right now either. Are your comforts more important than those of the children of the world in 6 months when we'll all be underwater?

Unless it's an emergency, you shouldn't be using electricty. Turn off your computer, CJ.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 20, 2009 9:17:31 PM

9. Paul C: I hope you don't have any children, but I do and I'm truly concerned about the environment he will face in his adult life. Most likely Americans will be spared the worst, but global resources will be stretched and many countries will likely tumble into chaos.

You probably don't care much about "those" people, but I do and I'm sure my son will.

And while each of us should do his or her part to reduce their impact on the environment, the real positive changes will happen when we change the system: less beef, less petroleum, less coal, etc. More wind, maybe more nuclear, etc.

Get a fucking clue or go over to Fox where they agree with you.

Posted by: David R. | Apr 21, 2009 12:18:47 AM

10. PAUL C,

every time you open your mouth, methane escapes. YOU could do us all a favor by shutting your bovine hole and keeping your cow farts to yourself.

Posted by: nic | Apr 21, 2009 5:59:19 AM

11. @David R - CJ says the world is ending soon because of global warming, and yet he is running electricity for entertainment purposes. If he really believes what he says and continues to contribute to the problem, he is a mass murderer.

I'm concerned about overpopulation. That's the environmental crisis of the future. Period.

@Nic - When I want the opinion of a racist anti-Semite with the same intellectual capacity as George Bush, I'll turn to you. But thanks for your typical non-contribution.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 21, 2009 10:33:02 AM

12. I totally agree with CJ
    and thanks Nic - Bovine Hole made me laugh out loud!

Posted by: Nick11 | Apr 21, 2009 12:05:32 PM

13. Paul C, not that it is any concern of yours and based on your history on Towleroad you simply enrage people with immature and irrelevant personal slams, but I work in design and IT and I use my computer for work. I use a Mac Pro, which is one of the more energy efficient desktop/server grade systems on the market. I run it on a dual system, a Samsung 32" LCD and an ACD. Both are energy star compliant. I put my system to sleep when inactive for 5 minutes. It hardly burns any power.

Now, anything else you want to critique? If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. GROW UP.

Posted by: CJ | Apr 21, 2009 3:16:51 PM

14. I have a more important burning issue...if you jog naked like that, doesn't all that bouncing around really do a number on your nuts?

Posted by: mwk | Apr 21, 2009 3:30:19 PM

15. CJ - For all your concern, you should be in a yurt somewhere handing out biodegradable condoms to control population growth.

Instead, you are sitting in cushy western digs with heating and cooling, pecking out trite, regurgitated shit on your e-lectric keyboard while pointing your hypocritical finger at the rest of the world. What part of the solution is that again?

Sorry if opposing viewpoints "enrage" you.

Posted by: paul c | Apr 21, 2009 4:43:51 PM

16. No Paul, tools who think they're better than everyone else upset me. I don't need to answer to you, no one does, but you seem awfully full of yourself don't you? You're assuming an awful lot about me, namely that making a comment makes me a hypocrite right? Do I need to state all that I have done to better the environment in order to satiate your anger? Something tells me it wouldn't matter, as you simply are looking for an argument. You have way to much time on your hands if posting comments on Towleroad in order to bait people into personal attacks is what fills your life. Move on Paul, everyone else has.

Posted by: CJ | Apr 21, 2009 7:01:50 PM