Fred Phelps | News | Shirley Phelps-Roper

Westboro Baptist Church Planning Suicidal Exodus?

Wbchurch

Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church recently left a blog post that has some wondering if the extremist group is planning a mass suicide (a la Jonestown). A little excerpt from the post (link goes to WBC blog) written in their typical hag-alect:

Wbc "We are particularly urgent about it, because the time is shortly to come when we will grant you your wicked wish, Doomed america!  Your smart-assed pundits and foul-mouthed politicians have for years told us to pack up and leave if we don’t like this filthy little cancerous boil on the butt of the earth.  You all think you’re so clever that you can come up with such cutesy little quips.  You’re collectively so Bible dumb that you don’t know what you’re saying.  So let me help you out.

"Look at the examples in scriptures when a nation – or world – of Godless rebels cry out at God’s patient Saints to get the hell out!  Noah got on the ark and God shut the door – then the entire population of the world was wiped out.  YAY!

"Lot tried to get his sons-in-law to listen and leave Sodom with him – but they liked their country and told him he was crazy.  He left.  They were toast!  YAY!

"Before God wholly wiped out the greatest army in history, he had to get his people to “come out with great substance”. (Genesis 15:14)  YAY!

We gotta go, peeps!  We gotta go!  And when we do, it’s time for this filthy nation to receive of all the plagues that your Creator has promised.  The reason there is such urgency in those words … such passion in the irresistible call from our Saviour, Husband, and Friend … is because when that time comes for this rebellious nation – which is spiritually called Babylon and has become literally Babylon by the inexplicable and forcible snatching of that Mesopotamian land where ancient Babylon sat – it is going to be very fast and very violent, such that all mankind is utterly and simply amazed.

...

"So when you see us drop in, tell you about why God has begun your march to destruction, and then get out – it’s because the time is short.  We have a job to do, and very little time to do it...When we’re done, we will leave your filthy land and be placed safely out of the reach of the horror that will then land upon you swiftly and certainly – in one hour."

(gossip boy via joe.my.god)

Comments

1. Lets all send them a packet of Kool-Aide...they can supply the sugar and poison!

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 24, 2009 1:16:48 PM

2. if they want to do a mass suicide, well fine & dandy. but there are children in their numbers who certainly don't deserve such a fate and should be rescued if this is true.

Posted by: alguien | Apr 24, 2009 1:18:01 PM

3. I am not even reading that SHIT.
    Let them go to meet their creator!

Posted by: Martin | Apr 24, 2009 1:18:53 PM

4. My guess it's just some pyscho rapture babble. Though I'll gladly mix the koolade. There's a special place in Hell for Fred and his adult family members.

Posted by: Piet | Apr 24, 2009 1:19:47 PM

5. Instead of suicide, I'm seeing a "Mexico compound" in their future, a la some of the radical Mormons.

Or they could just be hoping to increase the number of hits on their website and then reveal that they have been called to stay and continue their "ministry." Didn't Oral Roberts try something like this a while back..."God will take me home unless I raise x million dollars."

Death, the ultimate marketing tool. Ugh.

Posted by: notshychirev | Apr 24, 2009 1:24:45 PM

6. I think this is a red flag for the FBI + Counter terrorist task force. This sounds just like the rhetoic that preceded the Tokyo Sarin gas attack in '95.

Posted by: JasonFreed | Apr 24, 2009 1:39:44 PM

7. Rest in peace

Posted by: Schniffy | Apr 24, 2009 1:40:05 PM

8. As much as I'd like to see these 'mo foes go, you have to give them a little credit for undermining the credibility of the religious right. I say they should stick around a little longer.

Posted by: Harrison | Apr 24, 2009 1:41:50 PM

9. The Sooner the Better!! If i had to be in heaven with their hate then send me to hell!!

Posted by: alex in boston | Apr 24, 2009 1:43:39 PM

10. A lot of this sounds like these deranged lunatics are planning on *bringing* about an Apocalypse and taking a lot of innocent people with them. I hope that your government is keeping a close eye on the Phelps farm/compound/dry well in basement...

Otherwise, have a nice trip, Fred! Say hi to the devil for us when you get there! Man, the look on your face when the elevator goes down and not up is going to be classic!

Posted by: wirrrn | Apr 24, 2009 1:43:39 PM

11. god hates fags but apparently inbreeding is A-OK. down the hatch with the kool-aid folks and smell you later.

Posted by: Joe | Apr 24, 2009 1:48:22 PM

12. Did anyone actually read what they posted? They have never in their history threatened suicide and their latest post does not threaten or suggest suicide. They are comparing themselves to Biblical saints who departed from the lands that rejected them. After these saints depart, the "wicked" lands are punished by God. In all of these examples, the saints that depart are still very much alive; it is the "wicked" who remain that get killed by God. All of this suggests to me that they are threatening to relocate abroad, not commit suicide.

I hate these people as much as anyone, but it does no one any good to spread false rumors or to show ourselves to be sloppy readers.

Posted by: Danny | Apr 24, 2009 2:01:55 PM

13. Bye ...

Posted by: dm | Apr 24, 2009 2:06:43 PM

14. I wouldn't put it past these wacko motherfuckers to attempt a terrorist attack. That'd be my guess as to what this means.

Posted by: Jersey | Apr 24, 2009 2:08:49 PM

15. QUOTE: ""Lot tried to get his sons-in-law to listen and leave Sodom with him – but they liked their country and told him he was crazy. He left. They were toast! YAY!

"Before God wholly wiped out the greatest army in history, he had to get his people to “come out with great substance”. (Genesis 15:14) YAY!"

UNQUOTE

--------------------------------------

Urm, they do realise the bible is a slightly entertaining but total fabrication don't they? That "Lot and his sons" were a story?

No, oh dear....Silly them.

Posted by: Em | Apr 24, 2009 2:23:52 PM

16. The trouble is, they won't "leave the kids alone". They'll want to take the kids with them, waco style.

These guys need watching like hawks, covertly. If they're threatening this then the Feds are gonna be in real trubs down the line if those kiddies go up in smoke and nothing was done about it.

Posted by: Em | Apr 24, 2009 2:26:11 PM

17. Cream and sugar with your hemlock, Shirley?

Posted by: MikeMick | Apr 24, 2009 3:04:33 PM

18. I've always wondered, where does this group get their money? I mean who would belong to this group?

Posted by: dm | Apr 24, 2009 2:06:43 PM
    ----------------
    dm

They are mostly all related and are lawyers, who get most of their funds from lawsuits, brought against the government and local business people.

Posted by: patrick nyc | Apr 24, 2009 3:11:57 PM

19. It's either about the Rapture, or they're referring to leaving this *country* - it doesn't sound anything remotely like a suicide warning. They're not saying they're going to leave the earth, just this 'filthy nation,' this 'Babylon.'

The people who saw this and thought, "SUICIDE!" are just sensationalists.

Posted by: Jordan | Apr 24, 2009 3:13:05 PM

20. As much as I dislike the Westboro Baptist Church and their hate speech, I don't wish anyone dead by their hand or others. Especially when kids are involved. I would rather they get help than commit mass suicide and I think it's objectionable that people here are wishing them dead. Rise above it, people.

Posted by: fernlaplante | Apr 24, 2009 3:14:55 PM

21. The way I look at it is that they are grabbing what they can for the 'end of the world' and going to lock up tight like Noah to ride out the tribulation that is to come.

Personally, I think as the older westboro members age, they are seeing that the younger ones are taking their place in the crusade so they are feeling desperate... for what I don't know

Posted by: LightofDawn | Apr 24, 2009 3:19:14 PM

22. It does sound pretty much like a suicide post, but I think they now need to be monitored more closely. I honestly believe they will try to take out others as well. If they have been opposed to gays so immensely, they will probably try to get the last laugh before they go.

Posted by: Scott E. | Apr 24, 2009 3:50:07 PM

23. These people are mentally ill and should be hospitalized. And I'm not saying that because of their anti-gay stuff, it's just obvious from any Shirleyrant.

Posted by: Bruno | Apr 24, 2009 3:52:47 PM

24. two points: 1) I love the idea of sending them Kool-Aide in rainbow colors and (2) If they do go through with some mass suicide as many people as possible should attend with our own signs.

Posted by: alex in boston | Apr 24, 2009 4:18:50 PM

25. No!!!!! The Phelps clan is vital to the gay rights movement. The Phelps are to the gays what Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin are to the Democrats. Their despicable behavior makes otherwise moderate people side against them! If they ceased to exist, I'd be really bummed.

Posted by: cufflinks | Apr 24, 2009 4:19:54 PM