Fred Phelps | News | Shirley Phelps-Roper

BigGayDeal.com

Westboro Baptist Church Planning Suicidal Exodus?

Wbchurch

Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church recently left a blog post that has some wondering if the extremist group is planning a mass suicide (a la Jonestown). A little excerpt from the post (link goes to WBC blog) written in their typical hag-alect:

Wbc "We are particularly urgent about it, because the time is shortly to come when we will grant you your wicked wish, Doomed america!  Your smart-assed pundits and foul-mouthed politicians have for years told us to pack up and leave if we don’t like this filthy little cancerous boil on the butt of the earth.  You all think you’re so clever that you can come up with such cutesy little quips.  You’re collectively so Bible dumb that you don’t know what you’re saying.  So let me help you out.

"Look at the examples in scriptures when a nation – or world – of Godless rebels cry out at God’s patient Saints to get the hell out!  Noah got on the ark and God shut the door – then the entire population of the world was wiped out.  YAY!

"Lot tried to get his sons-in-law to listen and leave Sodom with him – but they liked their country and told him he was crazy.  He left.  They were toast!  YAY!

"Before God wholly wiped out the greatest army in history, he had to get his people to “come out with great substance”. (Genesis 15:14)  YAY!

We gotta go, peeps!  We gotta go!  And when we do, it’s time for this filthy nation to receive of all the plagues that your Creator has promised.  The reason there is such urgency in those words … such passion in the irresistible call from our Saviour, Husband, and Friend … is because when that time comes for this rebellious nation – which is spiritually called Babylon and has become literally Babylon by the inexplicable and forcible snatching of that Mesopotamian land where ancient Babylon sat – it is going to be very fast and very violent, such that all mankind is utterly and simply amazed.

...

"So when you see us drop in, tell you about why God has begun your march to destruction, and then get out – it’s because the time is short.  We have a job to do, and very little time to do it...When we’re done, we will leave your filthy land and be placed safely out of the reach of the horror that will then land upon you swiftly and certainly – in one hour."

(gossip boy via joe.my.god)

Comments

1. One thing is for certain, they are so divorced from reality in thier ideology that I wouldn't put anything past them. The whole lot of 'em are hopelessly batshit crazy.

Posted by: Jersey | Apr 24, 2009 5:08:50 PM

2. On the other hand, every time they show up we get people coming closer to our side.

Posted by: DB | Apr 24, 2009 5:08:58 PM

3. PLEASE don't wait another second! DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Marc | Apr 24, 2009 5:09:18 PM

4. Sorry, boys, but I wouldn't get too excited if I were you. There is a long-standing tradition in some christian faiths of believing the day of reckoning is imminent. A hundred years ago preachers would go around predicting exact dates that god had told them. That practice faded away with each date that came and went, so they changed it to "any day now." I'm pretty confident that's what they were talking about.

Posted by: Boxerdad | Apr 24, 2009 5:30:39 PM

5. They don't have the balls.

But if they do, will anyone come to their funerals? Protesters? Anyone?

Posted by: paul c | Apr 24, 2009 5:32:54 PM

6. Patrick,

I respectfully disagree. WBC has all the makings of a suicide cult. Certainly, the psychological mindset is there. Fred Sr. is viewed by his followers (and views himself) as a modern-day prophet. He believes his god is speaking through him and, literally, controls his followers' every move and thought. His rabid sermons are nothing short of psychological abuse disguised as religion (lots of cases of Stockholm Syndrome in that compound).

Don't know what they actually plan, but that blog should be enough for the Dept of Human Services to pull the kids out of the compound. Or, at the very least, to start keeping very close tabs on them.

With each passing year, I worry more and more about WBC turning into another Jonestown. Fred Sr. doesn't have very many years left in him and I fear that his passing will be the "signal" that the end times have begun in their minds. He's such a power-hungry man that I just don't see him "passing the torch". Instead, all I can see is a real life Rev. Henry Kane.

Posted by: AggieCowboy | Apr 24, 2009 5:44:49 PM

7. Would you like to borrow my antique crustal punch bowl and silver ladel? I only have 22 crystal cups. Hope that's enough.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Apr 24, 2009 5:47:40 PM

8. They are protesting at my high school as I type! Apparently Corona del Mar HS (Newport Beach, CA) drama dept's "Rent" really pisses them off. The counter protesters are out in droves - making WBC look a little foolish for even getting on a plane. Well I guess they look a little foolish no matter what they do.

Posted by: Craig | Apr 24, 2009 7:24:59 PM

9. I send them some koolaide for free!

Posted by: Tralfaz | Apr 24, 2009 7:39:04 PM

10. Yeah Craig - I just saw that on Ch 7 here in LA.

I just hope they don't cash in their chips while they are here.

I don't want my taxes to pay for clean up their worthless carcuses.

Posted by: Tralfaz | Apr 24, 2009 7:42:16 PM

11. @ AggieCowboy,

Yes, I've heard that when a cult leader comes to the end of their life, they demand that the cult followers end their lives too. Jonestown, Heaven's Gate, Joseph Kibweterie, etc etc. But personally, the tone of this latest message seems to be "We're off to the promised land (probably gay-hating country) and all you sinners left behind are going to die." I think the threat (real or imagined) is to *us* the sinners, and not them *the righteous*.

Posted by: Wheezy | Apr 24, 2009 9:48:32 PM

12. Am I so wrong for feeling a glimmer of hope that they actually might do it? Honestly.... would ANYONE miss these fucktards? Nah, I didn't think so!

Posted by: CK | Apr 24, 2009 10:53:40 PM

13. First, let me say that I disagree with virtually everything that the Westboro cult says and does. They do not represent Christians, Christianity, or any of the Baptist denominations. However, I have to point out that, if you knew what the Bible says, you would understand that the examples used (Noah & Lot) are not suicide related in any way. The more logical inference is that the Westboro clan is planning on moving to another country.

Posted by: Bobby Amadeus, Orlando Baptist Examiner | Apr 25, 2009 10:41:37 AM

14. If they're gonna drink the Kool-Aid all I can say is,

OH YEAH!

Posted by: Attmay | Apr 25, 2009 11:07:40 AM

15. I worry about the little kids in their group.
    I don't care if the door does or doesn't hit them on the you know what on their way out, but the kids.....
    I can only hope that they will be protected.
    That someone within the group will have at least two brain cells to rub together and protect those kids. It's not their fault they are in this wacko family.

Posted by: Kentucky Mom | Apr 25, 2009 7:28:28 PM

16. O frack, swine flu. What if they're right?

/sarcasm

Posted by: Graham Anderson | Apr 26, 2009 7:44:27 AM

17. Loonies beget loonies. Hopefully they will not hurt anyone else with their demise. I still believe that Phelps is a screaming closet case! I was raised in the church, (not theirs) and I am totally ashamed of what it has become!

Posted by: bill | Apr 26, 2009 8:44:27 AM

18. Unfortunately they sound less like the poisoned Kool-aid types and more like the mass explosives types. Hopefully they'll just do what dozens of end-of-the-world groupies have done in the past, and find themselves a nice cave or abandoned mineshaft where they can live out their days in increasing disillusion.

Posted by: David D. | Apr 26, 2009 10:06:59 AM

19. Don't let the door hit all you loser homophobia cultists on the way out.

Posted by: RedCedar | Apr 26, 2009 11:10:54 AM

20. They are referring to the rapture? They say they know the Bible so well, then they should know that there is no concept of the rapture in the Bible. The word rapture isn't even found in the Bible. These people disgust me. It's people like them that make people freak out and criticize religion.

Posted by: bg | Apr 27, 2009 12:27:35 AM

21. YAAAY!Make sure you get all of 'em!

Posted by: Mara | Apr 27, 2009 1:57:38 AM

22. Please let me pour the Kool Aid for them !

Posted by: Lizard of Ahaz | Apr 27, 2009 2:47:34 AM

23. I hate to think that this news scoop somehow prevents them from leaving us. grrrrr

Posted by: William | Apr 27, 2009 1:08:05 PM

24. Good Bye and Good Riddance.Get out if you do not like the way things are and the equality that Jesus came to preach.Nowhere in the Gospel Jesus condemns gays but he certainly condemns bigots and haters like the WBC.There God is the Devil and the the Devil will take them.

Posted by: Oscar in Miami Beach | Apr 28, 2009 12:15:32 AM

25. Been watching these guys for a few years now...waiting for the punchline if you know what I mean.

It is time that all religious groups around the world are examined for their potenital threat to the rest of us.

The only thing I have no tolerance for is fundamentalist religious groups. Oh, and I agree with Rich...gets the kids off them ASAP for deprogramming.

Posted by: Scott | Apr 28, 2009 8:04:25 AM