Berlin | Germany | News | Polar Bears

Woman Attacked by Polar Bear after Jumping into Tank at Berlin Zoo

Polarbearattack

Apparently Knut, the celebrity and former cub with whom the polar bear above shares his tank, has deceived some into believing that the animals are nothing but plush toys.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Attack

According to the Daily Mail, "Heiner Kloes, a zoo spokesman, said keepers pushed the huge bear away before pulling the woman out. She was taken to a hospital for treatment where she is now recovering after undergoing surgery to heal her wounds."

(via dlisted)

Comments

1. What an ASShole!

Posted by: Jeff | Apr 11, 2009 6:03:22 PM

2. what the hell was this woman thinking?

Posted by: elizabeth templin | Apr 11, 2009 6:04:02 PM

3. Genius has it's limits but stupidity knows no boundaries.

Posted by: Sargon Bighorn | Apr 11, 2009 6:04:19 PM

4. Why THE HELL did she think it was ok in the first place?! That's terrible. I feel more bad for the animals than I could possibly feel for her.

Posted by: ben | Apr 11, 2009 6:23:47 PM

5. Seriously, if they put down the polar bear for this, that lady better be right next to it.

Posted by: Jon | Apr 11, 2009 6:23:53 PM

6. Reminds me of Katt Williams' comedy routine. :D

Posted by: Matt | Apr 11, 2009 6:28:52 PM

7. What in the world did she expect would happen? Can't these poor zoo animals be protected from humans?

Posted by: Bubb | Apr 11, 2009 7:00:10 PM

8. they should have left her

- saved a few $$$ that it cost to haul her crazy ass out

- clean up the gene pool = prevent her from reproducing her obviously crazy!!!!!! ass genes in the gene pool

- filled the polar bear's belly with a nice bit of meat

+++ if they had just left her

Posted by: jimmyboy | Apr 11, 2009 8:05:07 PM

9. This woman is obviosuly mentally ill or unstable. Not so much an asshole...

Posted by: Rann | Apr 11, 2009 8:05:29 PM

10. BERLIN ZOO POLAR BEAR COMPOUND LUNCH MENU

"All You Can Eat German Buffet*"

*please take a clean plate for return trips to the buffet. Thank you - Management.

Posted by: Beef and Fur | Apr 11, 2009 8:16:42 PM

11. That fat ass just wants fame. Well she got it. I hope the woman gets put down, not the bear(s)that attacked her. They were scared of her. I'd be scared if I saw that ugly fat ass coming towards me.

Posted by: FedUp | Apr 11, 2009 8:22:05 PM

12. Obviously too much blubber for the poor bear to chew through.

Posted by: Hdtex | Apr 11, 2009 8:37:10 PM

13. Zoos are no longer safe for animals, because of idiots like this. They were never good for animals but now they have become places where animals are confined with no place to escape from human cruelty. It's time to put an end to these horrible places.

And this bitch, they should have shredded her!

Posted by: Lars | Apr 11, 2009 9:19:31 PM

14. Zoos may or may not be cruel, but I fail to see how this incident is an example of cruelty. More like a fun afternoon snack to play with. nom nom nom.

Posted by: Blake | Apr 11, 2009 9:36:27 PM

15. Did the chimpanzee teach us nothing?!

Posted by: Dan | Apr 11, 2009 10:27:26 PM

16. I fail to see the logic of people who do this. "Gosh, it's a carnivorous apex predator three times my size! I think I'll bond with it!" The only place they usually end up bonding with it is in the animal's colon as they pass through it. And then people have the gall to blame the animals for doing what they're supposed to...

Posted by: wirrrn | Apr 11, 2009 10:31:07 PM

17. she was wrong to jump in, even if she had a suicide death wish. the polar bears are not at fault, i hope they are not put down either.

Posted by: Nina | Apr 11, 2009 10:48:36 PM

18. Proof that inbred stupidity isn't just found in the hills of Tennessee.

Posted by: Kerry | Apr 11, 2009 10:58:51 PM

19. Clearly, she's mentally ill, not just a "crazy asshole".

Posted by: Mike | Apr 11, 2009 11:49:33 PM

20. She has a brain the size of a lentil.

Posted by: David D. | Apr 12, 2009 12:39:35 AM

21. Exactly HOW is it "clear" that she is mentally ill and not a crazy asshole?

Posted by: soulbrotha | Apr 12, 2009 12:50:14 AM

22. Idiot. What an embarrasment to her own sex....duh.

Posted by: nikko | Apr 12, 2009 12:59:31 AM

23. I blame DISNEY,and the sheer stupidity of this woman.....DISNEY amkes all these cute-Z animal movies with animals with LONG eyelashes that are all friendly - well that aint reality,and this lady is fuckin stupid.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Apr 12, 2009 1:41:33 AM

24. thank you Charles Darwin

Posted by: Jon92027 | Apr 12, 2009 1:45:55 AM

25. The German-language press reports here in Berlin describe this woman as "mentally disturbed" and a frequent visitor at the zoo.
    Coincidentally, I was at the zoo around noon on the same day without having heard about the incident. I was wondering why the polar bears were so actively playing in the water, something I hadn't seen them doing before. Now I know.

Posted by: HERZUNDSCHNAUZE | Apr 12, 2009 6:50:34 AM