Adam Lambert | American Idol | Music | News

Rock God and God Awful Screeches on Idol This Week

Lambert

Adam Lambert's performance of Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" last night on Idol, plus, a special follow-up performance of Danny Gokey's screech heard round the world,
AFTER THE JUMP...

And Gokey's attempt to out-Lambert Lambert revisited:

Comments

1. Personally, I think Adam has pipes but didn't have a rock and roll edge. Yes, he hit the high notes but they lacked both soul and mad desire. (maybe if he changed the lyric to "daddy, i ain't foolin'" or "mister, i ain't foolin;") a Deep Purple song woulda been more apt to show off his screams: Highway Star.

Allison has a soulful edge and rock and roll grit. Of the solo performances, I felt her vocals conveyed the emotion of the song. if I don't believe what yer singing then you ain't done yer job. And she's done her job week after week. And Simon, the Queen song is "Someone to Love; " the Airplane song is "Somebody to Love."

Kris did a decent job. It wasn't bad, but it did sound like he started the vocals a beat too early. Was it as eh as the judges said? No. But their noses are too far up Danny & Adam's asses.

Danny Cockey er Gokey was out of his element. And the judges called him on it, but his lens-crafter promoting ego wouldn't listen. not sure how the judges get their noses all up his azz as it's already full since his head is up it.

Of the duets, only Adam & Allison showed any fire.

Posted by: Lito S. | May 6, 2009 12:12:45 PM

2. Seriously, is Gokey shilling for Lens Crafters? He has three hundred god-awful pairs of hideous eyeglasses with tacky logos emblazoned on the sides, and their was some mention about him giving a hand symbol of a heart like on the Lens Crafters commercials. WTF?

His shreiking was bad, but when they showed that part of his song at the end they used the rehearsal footage, as usual, which kind of covered his ass. They need to stop that.

Posted by: paul c | May 6, 2009 12:28:18 PM

3. Adam was amazing last night, so was Allison. Adam definitely has that rock edge and the swagger to go along with it, but I love that he remains humble.

Yes, Danny and Kris both were out of their element.

Allison and Adam's duet, fuckin' superb.

I want the bottom two to be Allison and Adam.

Posted by: Bobby | May 6, 2009 12:29:33 PM

4. Good lord! Did La Seacrest do the ligthing for this? They might has well just put a spot light on Adam's crotch.

You know La Seacrest knocked one off looking at this pic.

Posted by: Tralfaz | May 6, 2009 12:39:17 PM

5. Danny needs to go. Last night was just the culmination of weeks of horrible song choices punctuated by his utter lack of respect for any advice given to him by mentors. Danny, if you were even half as good as you think you are, you wouldn't be on American Idol. Seriously.

Nothing in his AI history indicates he could hit that note. EVER. Why the hell do you go for it in the Final Four?!?

At least his screeching mess was the image and sound people got when his phone number flashed across the screen, so hopefully that put people off voting for him.

However, I am concerned, I suspect the AI machine, which really wants a Danny/Adam final, will throw Kris or Allison under the bus tonite. Allison has been getting better and better, and I was thrilled to see her defend herself last night in an appropriate teenager way. Kris picked the wrong song, IMO, but he was lightyears ahead of Offkey.

Sadly, I suspect an Allison/Kris bottom two, but really hope I'm wrong and that Offkey leaves tonite.

As for Adam? He did LedZep justice, has really (along with Kris) taken Allison under his wing, and just comes out week after week giving phenomenal performances.

Posted by: DR | May 6, 2009 12:39:38 PM

6. Allison and Adam should be the final two, Danny and Kris need to go. Danny has a great voice, but he's BORING! He plays it safe each week and has never sang anything that I wanted to download, whereas I've downloaded Allison and Adam almost every week. Kris is cute, but that's about it.

Posted by: Wayne | May 6, 2009 12:58:24 PM

7. Paul, the recap last night was from the live show. Yesterday's dress rehearsal was canceled because Idol's stage manager Debbie fell down the staircase and was carted away in an ambulance.

Immediately after the accident, Randy Jackson told Debbie, "What's up dawg? For me, for you, it wasn't your best moment. It felt kinda flat. You were definitely out of your comfort zone. I'm just keepin' it real, yo."

Posted by: crispy | May 6, 2009 1:18:51 PM

8. @ Crispy!! You so crazy!

Posted by: Tralfaz | May 6, 2009 1:21:53 PM

9. @Crisy - I know they said there was no rehearsal with an audience, but I'm pretty sure the ending of the song they played over the phone numbers was not the same as his actual performance. Can anyone who Tivoed this clarify?

Posted by: paul c | May 6, 2009 1:27:12 PM

10. Why does anyone expect them to sing in any genre?? That's stupid. Stick to what they do best. It's like a bad night of karaoke.

Posted by: anon | May 6, 2009 1:43:11 PM

11. ADAM + ROCK = JIZZ-IN-MY PANTS!!

DANNY + ROCK = SKIDS-IN-MY-PANTS!!

Posted by: RONTEX | May 6, 2009 1:49:05 PM

12. The contestants each taped a 15 sec clip just minutes before the live show for use in the recaps. Danny's note was better in the recap, but still a mess.

Posted by: Michael | May 6, 2009 1:58:17 PM

13. Here's my review of last night's show...

Glambert channeled probably his craziest looking Japanese anime cartoon of the season. His outfit was horrendous. His hair looked ratty and fried. His eyeliner, especially annoying tonight, it made his otherwise big, beautiful, blue eyes look like slits. That said, I loved him. Simon was exactly right. There is no way anyone was going to come out and top him, and I don't think he was talking about prying Gaycrest off of Kris long enough to do it either way. Adam's Zeppelin song was perfectly matched for his screeching rock voice. I thought he held back some on his screeching, but overall, it was about an 8 on the Adam scale of over the top wild-eyed performances. Still there was no way any of them were going to come even close. Case closed.

OK, When they cut to the break, I was already rewinding th DVR to rewatch Adam's big show to be sure I liked it as much as I thought I did, and I was right, it was even better the second time, but I missed Semancrest announcing that Allison Shortcake was going to be singing one of my favorite Janis Joplin songs, "Cry Baby." So when I heard him announce it on the second playing, I got all excited and thought, oh my gosh, she is going to knock this one out of the park! She got her hair done by the same hack crack whore that has been doing Adam's bird nest, and added a couple color extensions, and her stylist put her in some Joan Jett ass-kickers before she took to the stage and blew the windows out. See this is where I am completely flummoxed. I've thought she's just been mediocre all season, yet all the judges and the blogosphere just rave and rave about her, and I've just been "eh?" Then tonight she did this song and for me, I was floored. I thought she was really great. I know that song very well, and I thought she did it very very well, sold it. I could not believe this was the night the judges hated her. What?!! She was great, this was the first time I saw her as a threat to Kris, and I never thought I see him slip from grace, but then he came out with Danny and did Renegade.

K, First of all, what a crappy luck of the draw. To have to do anything with that ridiculous eyewear model. But Kris is just too soft for a rock song. He was cute, and sweet, but Danny overpowered him, not that Danny was good at it, he just drowned Kris out I thought, and while he was singing the one note he gets right, he stepped all over Kris' better harmonies. I thought it was an awful song and a ridiculous and cloying setup. Paused, got up went to the bathroom, peed gold glitter inspired by Adam, stopped by the kitchen for a snack, and came back out to FF to Kris' solo.

Then Kris announces he going to do a Beatles song. Oh no! His first misstep of the year. Not one Beatles song I could think of that wasn't going to be horrible. I loved that movie that came out with all the Beatles songs "Across the Universe," and I loved all the reinterpretations of the songs they used, watched the movie 6 or 7 times, and still, nothing was coming to mind that would have been a better choice if he just HAD to do a Beatles song, and then he announces he doing "Come Together." Ugh! Such a dull song! There is no rhyme or reason to that song and it's LSD-laced lyrics of "He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football
    He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola" and I knew, Kris was going to fall flat on his face for the first time. Well, he sang cute and sweet as always, but just as I expected. It was lifeless. Simon again was right. Like eating ice.

Now they wheel out "Karaoke Gokey." He's snorts and sniffs around like a goddamn anteater and then announces to the world that he plans on doing an Aerosmith song... Like he's even in the same league as Steven Tyler, but besides that, Dream On? Man, if that isn't prophetic. Slash should have told him to go back to the drawing board and pick a song that wasn't going to make him look like a douche, like maybe Dreamweaver instead. Nope, he goes out, flops around like he's at a special needs talent show, and completely massacres that song. That last note made all the glass in my cupboards shatter. I could hear dogs wailing into the night through the next hour. Once I mopped the blood out of my ears, the judges finally let him have it. Well, sort of. Simon calls it a horror movie, but still goes on to say he thinks Douchey Hokie is going to be safe! The worst of the night, and he's got it made? Then I look on Votefortheworst.com and I saw that they were pushing Danny as the worst one, so that is why he is getting the votes. What a stupid website. Now I'll probably have to endure him another week.

Then Adam and Allison came out and did "Slowride." I'm certain Allison has never heard this song before this week, but the one thing I was thinking while they were singing, was that Adam had taught her all kinds of things while they worked together on it. Then the judges even commented on that when they were done. They made each other better, or something, but I thought it was a pretty good rendition of the song. Adam held back so as not to overshadow Allison, and they were definitely a better couple than Danny and Kris.

So I got 63 votes in for Adam during the commercials of the results show for Dancing with the Stars. I only got the busy signal three times. I predict Adam will be back on top now that they've scared everybody by making them think Adam was in the bottom two last week. I think Allison took second place for me, beating out my beloved Kris, which I thought I'd never say, but Kris was third, and Molemouth Offkey was fourth. However, I think voters will keep Danny in and either boot Kris or more likely Allison. But it definitely should be Gokey.

I'm still in love with Gilles on dancing with the stars, I think he is so sexy for a gay straight guy.

So we'll see how it plays out tonight.

Posted by: Jamie | May 6, 2009 2:07:38 PM

14. I can't believe anybody bothers with this no talent show. EPIC FAIL.

Posted by: Carl | May 6, 2009 2:23:12 PM

15. Loved Adam's singing.
    I would love to make love to Kris.
    And who were the other two? Who cares.

Posted by: Lexxvs | May 6, 2009 2:30:22 PM

16. For Lito S.- Actually, you're wrong and Simon is right. The Queen song is also called Somebody To Love. As is the Jefferson Airplane song of course.

As for Adam, I thought he was great! NOT Robert Plant great, but very good nonetheless :)

Posted by: OberonOZ | May 6, 2009 2:41:55 PM

17. If Danny Gokey is voted off, at least I won't have to watch him hump the corpse of his dead wife for sympathy from the judges and the viewing audience anymore.

Posted by: Tread | May 6, 2009 2:52:33 PM

18. @ Crispy: LA TImes reports that the idols do a 15 second part of their performance to be edited down for the final piece over the phone numbers, and they do this every week. It's neither the rehearsal footage, nor the televised performance, but rather SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY!!

Article here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/americanidoltracker/2009/05/the-rushfield-review-chaos-in-the-idoldome-chaos-in-the-competition.html

Posted by: Cameron Johnson | May 6, 2009 3:02:05 PM

19. You know, this was actually probably my least favourite Lambert performance (and I LOVE him).
    I think as soon as the Idol people found out he wanted to do Zeppelin they put some pretty big restrictions on him to tone down the gay. I just get that impression.

Posted by: Sal | May 6, 2009 3:20:57 PM

20. The only reason I'm currently watching AI (Absolutely Insipid?) is because I taking care of my mother and she loves it. Her soft spot is for Danny because "his wife died, but Alison is so cute...and Adam's too polished; why doesn't he already have a career and how does he keep paying for that hair? Kris is nice, but he's toast."

And I feel my brain cells leaking through my ears each time I hear one of these twits sing. I will say...Adam hits the fewest notes flat or off-key and does have a showman's strut, but I thought the EMO thing was dead.

Posted by: Kyle Sullivan | May 6, 2009 5:36:13 PM