Adam Lambert | American Idol | Kris Allen | Music

BigGayDeal.com

Atlanta Paper Posts Wrong Winner: 'Lambert Earns Idol Crown'

Ajc

Actually, the real Idol winner, if you look at it from my perspective.

Thanks to reader Kenny for the screenshot of the Atlanta Journal Constitution's "Dewey Defeats Truman" moment. It was actually the fault of the AP, but AJC didn't get the correction until after they had announced Lambert as winner. As I mentioned yesterday, I don't think not winning Idol is going to cause any problems for Lambert at all.

Here's a post-show interview of Lambert from E!

E! Blogs are going to say, 'If he wins it's because he's gay, or if he loses it's because he's gay.' What do you think of that?

LAMBERT: Is that what they're gonna say? [Laughs] Those blogs have a lot of opinions, don't they? [Laughs] I think that Kris won because he's a great artist and I was happy to be a runner-up to that.

In related news, it's always good to see Cyndi Lauper. Her performance with Allison Iraheta, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Am I the only one who can't stop reading the caption: "Adam Lambert topped Kris Allen in the grand finale..."

How did I miss *that*!?
    Lordy, my imagination is going to be working that one all day...

Posted by: Welah | May 21, 2009 8:37:50 AM

2. Adam isn't going to say he's gay. I don't think he's very proud of that fact.

Posted by: Miller | May 21, 2009 8:39:28 AM

3. Get off the gay wagon, Kris was awsome and just as talented in his own way. Quit beating the he didn't win cause he was gay drum. I am sure Adam, with his integrity, does not want this to be about sexuality a take anything away from Kris. As a gay man myself I loved Adam but in reality kris seems more marketable music wise as the votes showed. Hey I voted for Kris!

Posted by: joe | May 21, 2009 8:52:04 AM

4. It's like Ruben/Clay part Deux--Boring Guy wins over Gay Guy; Gay Guy has last laugh.

Posted by: Aaron | May 21, 2009 9:05:02 AM

5. I must say, Andy. It's disappoint to see you join the sour grapes brigade over Kris's win last night. Kris got this win fair and square with an unprecedented lack of support from the idol judges and producers. I think there was just simply alot of people that were starting to resent being told week after week who was supposed to be the winner, especially when so many people did not get Adam's appeal. I just never found him pleasant to listen to. I hope that those with sour grapes can move on and not dwell on it and celebrate the acheivements of both of the finalists.

Posted by: Jeffrey | May 21, 2009 9:12:06 AM

6. Joe: It has nothing to do with marketability or being gay (or at least very little). It has to do with who was the more conventionally attractive guy to tween girls. Adam was clearly the stronger singer and performer of the two. TV analysts have said over and over that Adam was bringing in the viewers. Sales on iTunes were dominated by him. The judges praised his talent, not pimped, praised...and rightly so. Adam has the stronger voice and the better stage presence.

This is all about 15yo girls and the new unlimited calling/texting process.

A year from now Adam will still be on the radio and in magazines. Kris will be performing at county fairs.

Posted by: Miller | May 21, 2009 9:15:07 AM

7. Jeff: He didn't get it fair and square. Kris did not cheat, but the voting system was stacked in the favor of a demographic - tween girls. Hell, 39 million votes came from Arkansas alone.

And the idea that people didn't get Adam's appeal is total bullshit. He brought the viewers in. He had the sales on iTunes. He dominated the press each week after each performance. It's the anti-Adam crowd that characterizes the judge praise as "pimping"...it wasn't...it was clear and honest praise for a talented guy. He deserved to win. He energized the show.

Posted by: Miller | May 21, 2009 9:19:30 AM

8. Sometimes Adam’s screeching was off putting. A softer, middle of the road, nicer guy won over Middle America. Big surprise! And today, making a HUGE social and political statement, lots of Americans will eat at MacDonald’s.

Posted by: Gustav | May 21, 2009 9:20:52 AM

9. Who technically 'won' is irrelevant.

They both have contracts now. The paths their careers will take is up to them.

Posted by: Wes | May 21, 2009 9:36:16 AM

10. Ryan says there were nearly 100 million votes, and AT&T says about 38 million votes came from Kris's home-state Arkansas. So about 1/3 of the total votes came from ONE STATE. One state made Kris a winner. I believe Adam actually has more fans than Kris. In fact, Adam's “Mad World” is #4 on the iTunes download chart, selling better than Kris' "Hertless" right now.

Posted by: GENE | May 21, 2009 9:38:27 AM

11. next....

Posted by: my2cents | May 21, 2009 9:44:22 AM

12. In the end Adam will do better as the winner - Kris Allan - is now under contract to do what his corporate handlers from AI and Simon Cowell instruct him to do! Adam on the other hand can direct his own future and yes as we have seen those that have come in 2nd have traditionally fared better!

Posted by: alex in boston | May 21, 2009 9:45:34 AM

13. I think a lot of people who like the contestants don't actually bother to vote.

My boyfriend and I liked both Adam and Kris, but were rooting for Adam. We didn't vote though. I mean, we don't care that much.

Last night's episode was the first I actually watched, apart from youtube videos.

Posted by: Wes | May 21, 2009 9:45:43 AM

14. I'm with you, Welah. "Adam Lambert topped Kris Allen" was all I could see too.

Posted by: Carl | May 21, 2009 9:48:26 AM

15. It's unfortunate that gays follow American Idol and similar crap "culture" like lemmings.

Posted by: Bill S. | May 21, 2009 9:50:44 AM

16. I see Miss High and Mighty has joined us.

Posted by: Tralfaz | May 21, 2009 9:54:24 AM

17. @Bill S - yes, because gays are a superior race from another land. Dumbass, gays SHAPE that crap culture you deride to boost your hypocrite's ego.

Posted by: paul c | May 21, 2009 10:05:33 AM

18. Cyndi Lauper made my night last night! What a legend and a true friend of our community! Good to see Cyndi still making wonderful music!!

Posted by: Steven | May 21, 2009 10:06:45 AM

19. Adam Should Have Won! Kris won because of the K K K Kristian "hate vote". America proves again what a bigoted homophobic nation this is.

Posted by: PhDude | May 21, 2009 10:07:14 AM

20. The voting is done by only a certain segment of viewers...the active viewers. They're in the minority. The average age of the AI demos this season, last I read, was somewhere around 40.

Now when the contestants go home, who actually shows up to see them? 11 - 13 year olds. Those are the same viwers who take the time to vote. Obsessively. I've watched every season, but I've never voted. Let alone texted in votes from the minute voting opens til it shuts down.

I was kind of siding with Kris anyway just because he was made the underdog with all the ridiculously one-sided Lambert hype. It was over the top and rude.

Posted by: paul c | May 21, 2009 10:11:37 AM

21. @Phdude - you have got to be joking.

Posted by: paul c | May 21, 2009 10:13:23 AM

22. I can't believe you compared this generic TV show to a presidential election.

Posted by: sad | May 21, 2009 10:14:37 AM

23. It's better Adam didn't win. Now he never has to sing that fucking awful Kara DioGuardi move-every-mountain song ever again.

Posted by: crispy | May 21, 2009 10:20:11 AM

24. Kris is sweet and talented, and people--including myself--genuinely responded to his steady, humble presence this season. But, let's face it, he won cause he's, in tween girl parlance, dreamy. The doe-eyed cuteness was his ace in the hole, and the fact that he didn't seem all that aware of it made him all the more endearing.

But Adam was the diva of the season, and divas have their supporters and their detractors. He may have been too out there (in various ways) to win, but imagine this season without him--zzzzzzzz. They'll be lucky to find someone half as charismatic next time around.

Bill S.--Get over yourself. We "follow" AI because cheesy spectacles can be a blast to watch. Those who don't get the fun (much like I don't get the Super Bowl) can sit quietly in their high culture bubble.

Posted by: Ernie | May 21, 2009 10:34:47 AM

25. Not hugely disappointed, and had it gone the other way I wouldn't have been disappointed either. They both deserved to be there. Chris had the broader appeal and Adam had a more controlled voice. What I liked about both of them was that they were totally gracious and supporting of each other. As for Kris, I'd buy his music. He had some great arrangements of familiar songs. Adam made many familiar songs unfamiliar and gave them an edge. He has stage presence and is a true "entertainer". Adam will definitely have a better future, but it doesn't suck to be Kris either.

Posted by: Drew K | May 21, 2009 10:35:46 AM