Crime | Gay Slurs | News | Seattle | Vandalism | Washington

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Seattle Couple's Home Targeted with Graffiti: 'Faggots Rape Kids'

Seattle

A disgusting hate crime out of West Seattle:

Seattle2 "Seattle Police are looking for the vandals that have written anti gay slurs on the home of a gay West Seattle Couple. The victims told police the same homophobic tag has showed up several times. The victims have painted over the graffiti and the next day it reappears. The 54 year old victim told Q13 Fox News that the vandals wrote the hateful graffiti on his garage 3 times in the last 4 days. 'As a gay man I cannot live in a house where someone is writing this on the side of my house.' The West Seattle man has asked to have his identity concealed. According to him the vandals were so brazen that last time they hit his home in broad daylight...The victim told Seattle Police Officers he believes he and his partner are being targeted because of their sexual orientation. 'Now, I feel like I'm living in a fish bowl. Someone is constantly watching me I feel very uncomfortable in my house. I hardly slept at all last night.'"

The couple now fears that the perpetrator has poisoned their dog, who has been sick for a week.

Watch video reports from KOMO and from Q13 FOX, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. setup cameras and a stakeout, buy a gun and kick some ASS !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Marc | May 5, 2009 11:28:37 AM

2. I live in Seattle and have lived in West Seattle. This neighborhood enjoys a very gay-friendly reputation. Many of my friends live there. Please don't think all the residents of West Seattle are haters; they are not.

Posted by: MyDogBen | May 5, 2009 11:33:11 AM

3. Please, call a security company and have some cameras installed.

Posted by: Bill | May 5, 2009 11:33:21 AM

4. This is very sad and upsetting. I can't imagine how terrifying that must be. Especially if they've started to target his dog. He definitely needs to set up a hidden camera, and expose the vandal(s) to the public. I hope the police have stepped up their patrols.

Posted by: David in Houston | May 5, 2009 11:37:06 AM

5. Beartraps.

Posted by: David D. | May 5, 2009 11:53:06 AM

6. Leave the grafitti on the side of the garage and cross out 'Faggots' and replace with 'Cathlicks'.

At least then it would be true.

Posted by: MikeinSanJose | May 5, 2009 11:56:14 AM

7. I lived in the seattle for 15 years, 6 of which were in West Seattle and being gay I was never confronted with this kind of hate. If the slurs were not enough, the poisoning of their dog should motivate the police to catch this person. My heart goes out to this fellow, his partner, and their dog.

Posted by: Jim | May 5, 2009 12:05:10 PM

8. yes, they need a security system and cameras and heck, maybe a weapon of some sort. sometimes house alarms won't stop people.

Posted by: liz templin | May 5, 2009 12:06:28 PM

9. I really resent Mike's smearing of Catholics. That's completely uncalled for. Defending one group of people by attacking another is childish and unproductive.

Posted by: Joe | May 5, 2009 12:17:39 PM

10. maybe they heard joe the plumber

Posted by: Rick in Robbinsville | May 5, 2009 12:56:37 PM

11. Pay for my trip and a stay in the area and I'll catch the perps.

Posted by: Marc | May 5, 2009 1:03:45 PM

12. I know what I would do if someone poisoned my dog, that low-down SOB would be pushing up daisies. I do not play with bigots.

Posted by: Troy | May 5, 2009 1:08:24 PM

13. I lived in the Seattle area 10 years; 2 years on Capitol Hill (near downtown). Yes, Seattle is way gay-friendly (coming from KY), but the haters also thrive there. Our recent victories nationwide will only bring these haters out even more.

I hope this couple can afford cameras, etc. - I feel for the couples who CANNOT afford take these extra measures. But I would definitely do anything I could to make sure these punks "accidently" suffer....bear traps sound nice....gun....depends where you aim it.
    This would NOT be "fighting hate with more hate".

THE VANDALS ARE TERRORISTS - EVIL.
    We have EVERY RIGHT to self-defend (counter-terrorism).

Posted by: John Bisceglia | May 5, 2009 1:27:35 PM

14. Seattle has a deeply contrasting edge to it. All those free thinking, well meaning (yuk),upwardly mobile folks. Then, the lowlife local, small minded element, bred of generations of poverty & ignorance. It's just always been how Seattle & Washington works...I'm disgusted but not suprised at all

Posted by: booka | May 5, 2009 1:43:41 PM

15. I actually walked past this vandalism a few days ago, and I have to say even though it startled me at first, I didn't even bother to point it out to my partner. Surprised to see this post and that it was a reoccurring issue, I asked myself why the graffiti didn't bother me, perhaps as much as it should. My answer, I think, is a very positive one. I think what I realized in that quick moment is that this was one small demonstration of an extremely minor part of West Seattle. My partner and I have lived here, a mile away from the incident, for over 5 years, and we frequent many WS bars, grocery stores, and shops. We are recognized and supported by many of our neighbors and I can say with 100% honesty that the gays and gay supporters are much more in the majority than the bigots. This is great news! The predominant thought has shifted in this neighborhood to such an extent that gay is normal, and an example of hate like this one is the real minority.... My heart goes out to the couple who has been targeted, and I wish they find the strength to realize that this is one idiot lowlife living in a sea of gay supporters.

Posted by: TJR | May 5, 2009 2:26:09 PM

16. This hate/vandalism is VERY subjective.

To someone who has been brutally stabbed repeatedly in a hate crime, these words are tantamount to pure terrorism. To someone who hasn't been directly hurt in such a horrific way, these words may be much less threatening.

Posted by: John Bisceglia | May 5, 2009 4:04:41 PM

17. This is why we need hate crimes legislation. Are you going to charge these assholes with graffiti - or with trying to instill fear in an entire community? And are we going to continue to just let this be in police hands, or give police additional, national tools? The repeating nature of this crime, coupled with the potential poisoning of their dog, alludes to the fact that this is a very dangerous and escalating situation. The culprits must be caught -- and that would become much easier if hate crimes legislation were passed.

Posted by: Ryan | May 5, 2009 4:06:42 PM

18. i think rick has a point -- you know, if people who have a rather large soapbox, even if they are frauds like samuel the non-plumber, say things to the effect that 'i wouldn't let my kids near any fags,' then people, people who have nothing else going for them than hate and fear, latch onto those words and march with them.

just like those morons who continually tell people that President Obama will take their guns away -- so what happens? there's a run on the gun stores.

and john b., you may not find these words threatening, but what if it had happened at your home, if the crime had happened mere feet from where you and your partner sleep, where you think you should be safe? and if they are bold enough to do what they did here, what's next? eventually these types of people get tired of 'non-threatening' stuff like this and move on to more violent acts. we all should be enraged by this.

Posted by: james | May 5, 2009 7:08:23 PM

19. "beartraps" cracked me the hell up. Good one David D.

Posted by: fanboi | May 5, 2009 8:10:46 PM

20. Homophobia is definitely the worst face of narcissism, for it hostily denies & attacks the quality of life & liberty & very spirit of LGBT people.

Posted by: 27 Names for tears | May 5, 2009 8:57:34 PM

21. @ JOE,

How about, "Catholic priests rape children!"? That, at least, would be factual and timely.

Posted by: Wheezy | May 5, 2009 10:37:04 PM

22. My husband, son and I also live in West Seattle, although in a different neighborhood (one which has a higher crime rate and reputation). While this is horrific, it is not representative of the folks in West Seattle. I had a look at the West Seattle Blog a minute ago, and the overwhelming compassion and support on there was a beautiful thing. I hope this couple decides to stay and fight back in whatever way that manifests itself for them. Right now, after the attention from this story) the community (not just the gay community, but the West Seattle community) has their backs. At the risk of sounding like Pollyanna, this can be turned around for the greater good. It is bringing folks together.

Posted by: ikahana | May 6, 2009 1:22:12 AM

23. I really feel for these people. My partner and I live in North Everett and just 1 month after moving in, I was called a fag in my own front yard, then a nigger 3 months later. At least the Seattle police and media responded. Unfortunately, welcome to my world. I would suggest the local communities in Western Washington be a bit more aware of growing intolerance (even in Seattle) and be prepared to respond accordingly. Good luck to this couple.

Posted by: Richard Smith | May 6, 2009 3:02:01 AM

24. Ryan said:

"The culprits must be caught -- and that would become much easier if hate crimes legislation were passed."

Just how so, Ryan.

Hate crimes laws are about punishing certain motives more than others. How does that help apprehend culprits?

And: Does Washington have any hate crime laws already?

Posted by: David C | May 6, 2009 2:33:57 PM

25. That's so wrong. I rape kids and I'm completely hetero.

Posted by: jester | Dec 17, 2009 11:25:26 PM